Notices

difficult blowby/catchcan problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2007, 11:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default difficult blowby/catchcan problem

On weekend we were on the track with our fully built ITR. 320whp on b18c6 with gt30 and 12psi

Please remember that track here in europe means something totally different than in the US(1/4mile). We can run our cars here for several minutes nearly completely under full boost and full rpm.

After some minutes when the oil reached his working temperatue we started to pull the car very hard.
After around 2,5miles (with nearly the whole full of boost and high rpms) we noticed that our catchcan was full of oil. (little more than a pepsi can)
We still had the black pcvbox at the back of the block and leaded the vent hose to a catchcan as big as a pepsi can. Unfortunatly with no return line to the block.

Now we plan to install a bigger catchtank, remove the black box and plug the hole.
We want to use the ports at the rear of the block and additional vent ports at the valvecover.
The ports of the rear shall be used for releasing crankcase pressure and as a drain back from the catch tank.
So far so good....

What I fear, will the oil in the catchtank have enough time to run back through the drain while running the car under that conditions?
Remember, we run our car over several minutes nearly completly under boost at high rpm. What means that we have high crankcase pressure for a long period of time and so pushing a lot of oil to the catchtank.
There are just a few seconds without boost where the oil could run back.

Any ideas?

Old 06-18-2007, 11:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: difficult blowby/catchcan problem (hondaapi)

no ideas?
Old 06-19-2007, 05:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: difficult blowby/catchcan problem (hondaapi)

I have a modified moroso can which uses the two ports on the back of the block. Removed the stock black box and plugged the hole. I have three lines all together, one comes from the factory nipple on the valve cover. The bottom fitting was a peacock drain but we hacked that off welded in a fitting and used that as a gravity fed drain back which works under vaccum or idle. All 3 hoses are -10an lines.

I noticed my can fills up after a 1/4 mile pass when I'm running high boost. If I run 10-15psi it is ok and that is beating on it around town. Something about 18+psi because once it is that high I get a lot more blow-by and it pukes everywhere.

My plan is to move the battery and design a tony1 style catch box that uses more vents and can hold a lot more oil. You might want to look into something similar.

There is a SFWD hatch that uses a moroso can with two vents off the front of the valve cover. He has no issue with overfilling. Go figure.

Old 06-19-2007, 10:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ive been told that your best bet is 2 vents in front of the valve cover.
Old 06-19-2007, 11:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (92redhatch)

Thats what I´ll try. I´ll also take a bigger catchtank like I already said. We´ll rent the race track her in the next weeks and we will try different systems.
Old 06-19-2007, 11:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

contact damian from td autowerkes. his car makes over 700whp with the vents on the valve cover without any problems.
Old 06-01-2009, 05:41 AM

Default Re: difficult blowby/catchcan problem

interesting, I'm having the same problem, only thing is my engine is just built not boosted yet, I've removed the pcv valve and run a line directly from the black box to the catchcan, fills up pretty quickly, so do u guys suggest I remove the black box at the back and plumb two vents from the valve cover?
Old 06-01-2009, 05:45 AM
official honda whore

Originally Posted by vtective teggie
interesting, I'm having the same problem, only thing is my engine is just built not boosted yet, I've removed the pcv valve and run a line directly from the black box to the catchcan, fills up pretty quickly, so do u guys suggest I remove the black box at the back and plumb two vents from the valve cover?

that sounds more like engine problems, i would do a leakdown test on the motor
Old 06-01-2009, 05:11 PM

Thanks, thing is the engine was freshly rebuilt, the clearances are for turbo charging but I don't have on the turbo yet, thing is it only fills up if I'm really full throttle for a while I've driven the car for weeks without any oil in the cathcan, was wondering if this was because I've removed the pcv valve and have a direct line from the blackbox to the catchcan, does this setup require a check valve?