Notices

DEFI BF Boost Gauge Not Working

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2005, 08:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DEFI BF Boost Gauge Not Working HELP!!

Installed the defi control unit II yesterday, tapped the 12v/ground/ignition wires to the hondata harness, and the white parking light wire to the #2 plug above the fusebox which is supposed to be red/black parking light wire.

Then tee'd off the boost/vac lines, ran the line through the firewall and hooked it up to the control unit.

and finally, put a meter cable to the control unit and the other end on the boost gauge, turn the car on, and the control unit lights up when i put the parking lights on, but boost gauge no worky.

So, since I didn't have any more time to goof around at 2am when I have work at 8am the next day, I will try to fix it when I get home from work this afternoon, But I would like to get some feedback as to what you guys might think the problem is..

I'm thinking that the hondata harness is no good for the control unit and that I should hook up all 4 wires above the fusebox for 12v, ignition2, ground, and parking light wire is already tapped there, any help will be much appreciated, thanks in advance!

oh, and I already searched but to no avail..

Modified by JDEM1 at 6:00 PM 1/31/2005
Old 01-31-2005, 09:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: DEFI BF Boost Gauge Not Working HELP!! (JDEM1)

ahhhhhhhhhhh please help
Old 01-31-2005, 09:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so the boost gauge doesnt work just when you have the lights on, just doesnt light up, or it doesnt work at all? you have the boost sensor plugged into the correct port on the back of the control unit right? also there are 2 ports on the back of the control unit for meters, meter 1 and meter 2 try switching to the other one. the meter2 port will allow you to controll gauge brightness using the control unit. as long as the controll unit is lighting up you should have power to everything else. the boost meter should come on and do its little opening sequence thing. if not you have a problem between the control unit and the meter or the meter could be bad. youll love it when you get it working.
Old 01-31-2005, 09:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: DEFI BF Boost Gauge Not Working HELP!! (monicle)

that's exactly like my setup, 00 si, but with the amber bf model.. well yeah, the boost gauge is connected and the control unit is lighting up, just the boost gauge is not working AT ALL.. where did you hook up your wires from the control unit?, I am thinknig the 1st plug 2nd plug and 5th plug of the 5 plugs above the fuses and ground to any bolt...

i REALLY hope my gauge is not defective..
Old 01-31-2005, 10:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

the 4th from the end is the turbo port. it should go meter2, meter1, power, turbo, oil pressure, fuel pressure,oil temp, exhaust temp, water temp, tachometer, and warning light. as far as my wiring i wired into the ignition wires, and the illumination wire on the steering column, you shouldnt need to run anything over to the ECU. does the controll unit beep at all when you turn the ignition on?
Old 01-31-2005, 11:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

hm.. maybe I wired it wrong, or the hondata harness is no good for it, I know which sequence the wires plug in, but yeah, no beep when ignition on, and gauge does not work at ALL. Monicle, by any chance, do you have a diagram or pictures of where the wires tapped into?, I would like to know exactly where to tap into, thanks... hopefully re-wiring will fix this..
Old 01-31-2005, 12:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I could probably take off my lower dash panel and snap some pictures or something. everything is on the steering column through. theres a power wire a ground and ignition right on ignition (go figure) and the illumination wire connects up to the headlight switch on the column. Ill see if I can snap some pictures for you this afternoon. what hondata harness are you taling about? I have hondata but im not wure what youre referring to.
Old 01-31-2005, 12:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the harness that connects the p28 to the hondata unit itself, has 4 wires.. black/red/orange/brown, used 3 of them, but I guess it's no good..

hey.. the ignition wires you tapped, are those the same 3 as you use for the turbo timer?.. i remember i soldering 3 wires right under the left of the steering column... if you could take some pics that would be greatly appreciated.. thanks alot monicle.
Old 01-31-2005, 01:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah exact same ones. yeah I wouldnt mess with the hondata harness hook directly into the ignition and you should be set to go Ill get those pictures after work.
Old 01-31-2005, 01:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey monicle, by the way.. what did you use to tap them?.. did you use the solderless connectors that defi supplies or solder them in?.. or some spade connectors or what?.. thanks for all the help
Old 01-31-2005, 01:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

no just the good old fasioned tried and true method of stipping off the shielding and soldering wires. I wont trust anything else anymore heh. If you already have a turbo timer in there then just strip some off of the turbo timer leads. its much easier to solder into a smaller wire than those larger ones. it takes alot of heat to get the solder to soak into those. not something id want to do to often.
Old 01-31-2005, 02:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hm.. since my turbo timer leads are all diff colors, I wouldn't know which to tap into, just need a good 12v, ground, and ignition2 to figure out if my gauge is working or not... still going to snap those pics? , and if you can tell me which turbo timer wires to tap into that would be great..
Old 01-31-2005, 03:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

almost time to go home, someone, give me some pictures of a wiring diagram!, tia
Old 01-31-2005, 05:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

k got the photos. under the steering colum above the fuse box is a group of wores wraped in a shiny plastic shielding. they go into the brown plug on the fusebox.
the white is the battery so hook your defi red wire to that. the black and yellow wire is ignition1 so hook your defi orange wire to that. ground you can hook to the chassis or any straight black wire. and the white defi wire you can leave where its at it woulds like you already have it in a good spot.
Old 01-31-2005, 08:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

wow, thank you so much monicle!, i love this ****'n gauge!!!!!!!!!!!!!.. wooooooohoooooooooooo!..
Old 08-14-2005, 11:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

awesome advice!!! i just ordered my control unit and boost gauge. this pic is going to be very helpful for me. i have a 96 civic.

Thats why is always to searched first!!!! you will find what u looking for.
Old 08-14-2005, 03:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDEM1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">wow, thank you so much monicle!, i love this ****'n gauge!!!!!!!!!!!!!.. wooooooohoooooooooooo!.. </TD></TR></TABLE>

yea...but its an addiction...i bought 2 more after i got the boost gauge