Deciding on a Final Drive for Turbo Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2018, 12:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Re: Deciding on a Final Drive for Turbo Transmission

If it interests you and with the small turbo madness we have in europe EFR 6258 and 6758 have some wicked results.
Real all the way divided housings. With a twin scroll manifold youll be crazy down low. People with EFR here report crazy reaction on 0-100-0 throttle movement. Like much smaller turbo. We call it press/let/press ( of the gas) here. Not target boost but the first 0-4 psi come very very quick on the EFR.
If you really wanna pay someone for an intake mani tell them to make you a slice feed WRC style.I guess thet are the best for non stable air flow conditions.
The peugeot on this vid is 1.6L engine , 93+water meth 2+bar you see is 30-33psi... 170 kmh you see onthe speedo is 110mph. EFR6258

​​​​

Last edited by Balor_Gr; 01-31-2018 at 01:08 PM.
Old 01-31-2018, 12:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 442 Likes on 384 Posts

Anyone know the plenum size/runner length of the Edelbrock intakes? I think 65mm TB opening from their factory.

S2 Ultra Street B series has 1.82L plenum and like 8.72" runners. 74mm throttle body opening.

Edit: Victor Performer X has 9" runners. Just kinda updating this as I'm searching. I think the Victor X short runner version would really only shine on the top end.

Edit: Nevermind, I'm writing out the Edelbrock intakes as possibilities. I'll consult BMC again to see if we can do a smaller design or just go with the S2 Ultra Street.

Last edited by Chance EG; 01-31-2018 at 01:16 PM.
Old 01-31-2018, 01:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

My only problem with the Ultra Street is I think it comes with a 74mm TB opening so I'd need at least that size throttle, and personally I'm just not a fan of how rough the internal casting on those are from the S2 factory.
Old 01-31-2018, 01:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

The TB opening is 74mm on the Ultra Street...and is fairly "rough"
Old 01-31-2018, 01:51 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by Chance EG
My only problem with the Ultra Street is I think it comes with a 74mm TB opening so I'd need at least that size throttle, and personally I'm just not a fan of how rough the internal casting on those are from the S2 factory.
Again, you're thinking NA. I know you want perfection from every component on the list to get everything you can possibly squeeze out optimally, but it really isn't going to matter that much in the area of lower end torque. If anything, have the throttle openings leading to the runners smoothed out a bit. It doesn't have to 4Piston, but you can tell this manifold was casted with smoothing out the rough openings as an option, for those willing to invest in it.
Old 01-31-2018, 01:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Balor_Gr
If it interests you and with the small turbo madness we have in europe EFR 6258 and 6758 have some wicked results.
The EFRs have an edge in transient response and boost recovery, but dont expect magical whp/wtq numbers to come along with it. Both those two turbos above would be pretty sweet on a b16a, and even the larger EFR7163 but that might be a little larger than what (Chance) is looking for. The EFR7163 is pretty magical though!

http://zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=460807

I'll try looking into it more, or see if BMC would bump down the plenum design some. I really just don't like how rough the casting is from Skunk2 on their Ultra series manifolds. I'll consider it though, I already have some other scattered S2 products on the car.

Big thanks to everyone in this thread for the input, and thank you Shodan. I'll take your advice and save the $1500 I was going to put into the P&P and invest it in other parts that I actually need to get the car running.

Edit: Oh, am also heavily considering the 2867 now. Will most likely go that route. I guess the one benefit to being single and broke in a big city is I have plenty of time for discussions like this to modify my plans before committing on the purchases, lol.
I agree the rough casting on the S2 ultra street isn't the best. The manifold splits in half though, so you could easily spend an afternoon and clean it up with a Dremel. I decided it wasn't worth that and still easily made 372@12psi with my efr 7064, maybe I could have gotta a few extra ponies from smoothing up the plenum I'm not sure. Even back to back dynos are always a few hp different - I bet you wouldn't notice either way.
Old 02-01-2018, 02:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im running a 70mm S2 throttle body and S2 ultra street. You saw my dyno. Works great. You could easily smooth out the casting with some sand paper and a 2 litter bottle if you want too. Theres a video somewhere on youtube.
Old 02-10-2018, 12:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

When I contacted Synchrotech they did my GSR up with the R gearset with 4.79 final drive M factory LSD and LS .712 far off 5th. It responded well. The GSR's powerband complimented the gearset all through 8000.

When I contacted Synchrotech to do my Accord F, they made a H22 trans with compatible gear set. That trans was on a 4.64 LSD M factory final , with far off LS .685 5th. The 4.64 final with The F23's 6300 powerband was not stellar, and pretty short. If I could do it over I would stick with a 4.26.

Yellow Box makes a awesome speedometer corrector. I have been using these on my custom cars for a long time.
Old 02-12-2018, 08:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Anyone know the plenum size/runner length of the Edelbrock intakes? I think 65mm TB opening from their factory.

S2 Ultra Street B series has 1.82L plenum and like 8.72" runners. 74mm throttle body opening.

Edit: Victor Performer X has 9" runners. Just kinda updating this as I'm searching. I think the Victor X short runner version would really only shine on the top end.

Edit: Nevermind, I'm writing out the Edelbrock intakes as possibilities. I'll consult BMC again to see if we can do a smaller design or just go with the S2 Ultra Street.
What about the PerformerX?
Old 02-12-2018, 09:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by LightningTeg
What about the PerformerX?
I don't think that one will rev out quite as highly as I'd like, 9" runner length is possibly a bit longer than what I'd like too.

Rough plans for now are just to contact BMC again and see what their opinions would be on constructing a ~2L sized plenum with ~7" runners. Otherwise I'll just grab one of the S2 Ultra Streets and put a 70mm TB on it.

Dragging feet right now. Life always happens.
Old 02-12-2018, 09:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I don't think that one will rev out quite as highly as I'd like, 9" runner length is possibly a bit longer than what I'd like too.

Rough plans for now are just to contact BMC again and see what their opinions would be on constructing a ~2L sized plenum with ~7" runners. Otherwise I'll just grab one of the S2 Ultra Streets and put a 70mm TB on it.

Dragging feet right now. Life always happens.
Just seems odd to go with anything more than a Type R style manifold for the power goals.
Old 02-12-2018, 10:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Just seems odd to go with anything more than a Type R style manifold for the power goals.
Not so much about the overall power support/flow, but where it puts the curve. I want something that will work in conjunction with the cams and pulls way up top, but without being a total pig down low. The Ultra Street would really be the best all around solution, just not a fan of S2's craftmanship on that piece.

Also hoping for something that looks good in the bay, hence why I like these sheet metal manifolds.
Old 02-12-2018, 11:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Not so much about the overall power support/flow, but where it puts the curve. I want something that will work in conjunction with the cams and pulls way up top, but without being a total pig down low. The Ultra Street would really be the best all around solution, just not a fan of S2's craftmanship on that piece.

Also hoping for something that looks good in the bay, hence why I like these sheet metal manifolds.
You really cant have both. The OEM style stuff will give you the best of both worlds, as that is exactly how it was designed.
Old 02-12-2018, 01:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You really cant have both. The OEM style stuff will give you the best of both worlds, as that is exactly how it was designed.
Yeah I kinda realize that, just looking to sweet-spot it as best as possible. Ultra Street seems best logistically speaking.

Edit: Waiting to call Edelbrock and ask for the plenum volume of the Performer X. Just casually splitting hairs at this point. Pretty sure the Ultra Street would outperform it almost everywhere, but I like the polished finish option of the PerformerX.

Meh.

Last edited by Chance EG; 02-12-2018 at 01:46 PM.
Old 02-12-2018, 03:33 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Yeah I kinda realize that, just looking to sweet-spot it as best as possible. Ultra Street seems best logistically speaking.

Edit: Waiting to call Edelbrock and ask for the plenum volume of the Performer X. Just casually splitting hairs at this point. Pretty sure the Ultra Street would outperform it almost everywhere, but I like the polished finish option of the PerformerX.

Meh.
I'd go with the Performer X , and quit playing around. It would give a better mid-range today's than the Ultra Street. I have one, and took it off to put on my wife's NA car. Any gains you get, you could easily get with an increase in boost.
Old 02-12-2018, 04:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheShodan
I'd go with the Performer X , and quit playing around. It would give a better mid-range today's than the Ultra Street. I have one, and took it off to put on my wife's NA car. Any gains you get, you could easily get with an increase in boost.
Sounds good, done deal.

Edit: If someone wants to close/lock this topic that would be fine.

Last edited by Chance EG; 02-13-2018 at 06:53 AM.