Notices

DD Greddy 94 GSR build help (275whp)

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2013, 07:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DD Greddy 94 GSR build help (275whp)

My car is a gsr. It has 185k miles, and is my daily driver. When turbocharging it, I want a car that is going to be fast and fun, but reliable, and have a few unanswered questions. The kit is a GREDDY tdo5h 18g by the way.
1- What is going to need to be done internally to the motor? As of now I have arp head studs, 750cc injectors, 4bar map sensor, and I'm getting it tuned with the hondata s300. My goal, like I said, is in the 275whp range.
2- Is the greddy kit too restrictive for 275whp? I've heard it is pretty restrictive due to it being CARB legal, what should I upgrade? If anything? Like downpipe? If so, what would be a good diameter?
3- What is a good plug and wire for the setup? I've heard about people going "cooler" but I'm not sure what they mean? If you could recommend some plugs and wires, that'd be great!
4-Is it okay to run full synthetic through the turbo? That's the motor oil I run.
5- I have about 2 grand to put into the motor so if you guys can keep it in that price range, I would greatly appreciate it! I just am not sure, maybe I don't even need to put in that much for my 275 whp goal?

-Thank you in advance for any information you can give me! I am sorry this is so lengthy, but I wanted to be thorough, so you didn't think that I was simply coming in without doing any previous research, and so I hopefully didn't leave you any questions that you need to ask me.

-I am also new to posting, so if I messed anything up, please let me know! Thanks!
Old 08-22-2013, 08:14 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts
Default Re: DD Greddy 94 GSR build help (275whp)

Originally Posted by 94b18cTeggy
My car is a gsr. It has 185k miles, and is my daily driver. When turbocharging it, I want a car that is going to be fast and fun, but reliable, and have a few unanswered questions. The kit is a GREDDY tdo5h 18g by the way.
1- What is going to need to be done internally to the motor? As of now I have arp head studs, 750cc injectors, 4bar map sensor, and I'm getting it tuned with the hondata s300. My goal, like I said, is in the 275whp range.
Making sure that the engine is healthy. Fluids, maintenance, fuel filter, etc. The fact that you had head studs doesn't really assist much, but its already there, so use 'em.

2- Is the greddy kit too restrictive for 275whp? I've heard it is pretty restrictive due to it being CARB legal, what should I upgrade? If anything? Like downpipe? If so, what would be a good diameter?

The GReddy Kit in its basic form with what you have will make about 275whp at its maximum. You'd have to change wastegate actuator, change out the downpipe adapter to a custom flange, and change the 2" downpipe to 3" to (hopefully) match your exhaust system.

3- What is a good plug and wire for the setup? I've heard about people going "cooler" but I'm not sure what they mean? If you could recommend some plugs and wires, that'd be great!

Simple NGK blues and heat range 7 plugs will be fine, if that's what they mean by "color". The real issue is the ICM /ignitor. If they are in good condition, you're good to go.

4-Is it okay to run full synthetic through the turbo? That's the motor oil I run.

which kind of the synthetic oil is the question. Using something that has a nice High ZINC content like a Brad Penn or Valvoline VR-1 are healthy for your engine (since its a 1994, the API rating needed for that engine makes sense).

5- I have about 2 grand to put into the motor so if you guys can keep it in that price range, I would greatly appreciate it! I just am not sure, maybe I don't even need to put in that much for my 275 whp goal?

Simple answer. Yes.

-Thank you in advance for any information you can give me! I am sorry this is so lengthy, but I wanted to be thorough, so you didn't think that I was simply coming in without doing any previous research, and so I hopefully didn't leave you any questions that you need to ask me.

-I am also new to posting, so if I messed anything up, please let me know! Thanks!