Notices

Damn timing belt!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2003, 09:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Damn timing belt!!!!!

So the car is finally all back together. All that's left is the timing/valve cover/adding oil. I can't get the timing belt over the cam gears. It's impossible. The tensioner bolt is completely stripped (done) from the previous owner. Any ideas?
Old 10-10-2003, 09:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Damn timing belt!!!!! (Boost Creep)

head stripped? threads stripped? either way you need to get it out and fix the bolt, or the threads. IMO if there is a way to get it back on, why would you want to half *** it back together?

If it's just the head thats stripped and you have.....a welder...a bigger bolt, room, and welding skills....you can then weld a bolt to the stripped one and use the good bolt to remove the old one.....must be done right or the new bolt will just break loose.

if it's the threads...... good luck
Old 10-10-2003, 09:41 PM

Default Re: Damn timing belt!!!!! (80884)

Good idea on welding another bolt to it, that may work, but it's so tight in there. The head of the bolt is stripped. On my integra we were able to pull the timing belt on...wasn't too easy but we did it, and it was PERFECT.
Old 10-10-2003, 09:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yea, if it was me i would fix the bolt now....but if you can get it back on and make it ok then go for it....

a dangerous idea....we use this to put regular drive belts on, BUT i would not take the chance on a timing belt, but this is what we do....get it started on the gear ( if DOHC then your screwed on this method) as much as you can....pull fuse to keep car from running and bump the key a few times or just turn it over by hand would be better for the T belt, that way is safer......again if you mess up it can damage a lot of stuff....but if it would work then the belt would go right on....again i would avoid having to do this but it works with regular belts....just an idea if you can't get it on any other way and can't get the bolt out. and yes the welding method would work if you had room.
Old 10-10-2003, 09:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

dremel a slot into the head of the bolt and get a blade screw driver up in there. That's how i sold my stripped bolt woes
Old 10-10-2003, 09:56 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 80884 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yea, if it was me i would fix the bolt now....but if you can get it back on and make it ok then go for it....

a dangerous idea....we use this to put regular drive belts on, BUT i would not take the chance on a timing belt, but this is what we do....get it started on the gear ( if DOHC then your screwed on this method) as much as you can....pull fuse to keep car from running and bump the key a few times or just turn it over by hand would be better for the T belt, that way is safer......again if you mess up it can damage a lot of stuff....but if it would work then the belt would go right on....again i would avoid having to do this but it works with regular belts....just an idea if you can't get it on any other way and can't get the bolt out. and yes the welding method would work if you had room. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Tried something similar. It's DOHC, so we put the belt over one cam gear and as much as we could over the other as someone spun the crank with a 19mm. It actually went on. The timing was perfect....only problem was the cam gears were upside down!
Old 10-10-2003, 09:57 PM

Default Re: Damn timing belt!!!!! (tegasaurus)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tegasaurus &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">dremel a slot into the head of the bolt and get a blade screw driver up in there. That's how i sold my stripped bolt woes </TD></TR></TABLE>

I was thinking about that. I'd need one of those L shaped screw drivers though.

Only other thing I can think of is removing the crankshaft pully and the plastic cover to access the bolt with a vice grip...
Old 10-10-2003, 10:03 PM

You could get yourself a special purpose socket set that is made to remove damaged or rounded nuts and bolts. Of course you have to spend a little cash, but in the long run you have a nice set handy for future woes such as this one.
Old 10-10-2003, 10:04 PM

Default Re: Damn timing belt!!!!! (oneslowls)

How exactly do these work? Willing to spend some $ on that
Old 10-10-2003, 10:26 PM

goto ur local sears hardware store and ask for the damaged bolt removers, they come in different sizes and WILL get ur bolt out, it may be a lil tight though with where that bolt is, anyhows check out sears
Old 10-10-2003, 10:28 PM

Default Re: Damn timing belt!!!!! (vha27)

Thank you sir, I'll wake up bright and early before work and try to bang this out
Old 10-10-2003, 10:55 PM

Or try an easy-out, basically a backwards drill bit.
Old 10-10-2003, 10:59 PM

Default Re: Damn timing belt!!!!! (turbohappy)

more info on this?
Old 10-10-2003, 11:06 PM

You drill thru the center of the stripped bolt, take an easy out and tighten it into the hole you just made. It bites into the bolt and then you can extract it. But you might not have enough room to use it. I would still go with the stripped bolt remover socket myself.
Old 10-10-2003, 11:17 PM

Do anything humanly possible to get this bolt out do not bump the motor hoping to hop the belt into place. If it slips even the power of the starter is enough to damage your valves if the pistons hit them. Take your time and do it right. Many frustrating evenings end in disasters because we wont just wait to talk to a professional mechanic or we just get in a hurry. Try asking some of your honda head friends. Try a alligator grip on the stripped head of the bolt. If that does not work try using a dremel and making a slot in the head of the bolt and use a flat head key on your ratchet or a big flat head screwdriver although I think it would be near impossible to get any kind of screwdriver in where the tensioner is. What ever you do do not bump the engine hoping to pop the belt on. Good luck and God bless
Old 10-11-2003, 12:38 AM

Default Re: Damn timing belt!!!!! (turbohappy)

Easy out's or most bolt removers won't work, because of the tight space. No way you'd fit a drill in there.

If the little tricks don't work out for you, you might want to consider pulled the motor up a bit.
Old 10-11-2003, 01:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Damn timing belt!!!!! (Tofurky)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Tofurky &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Easy out's or most bolt removers won't work, because of the tight space. No way you'd fit a drill in there.

If the little tricks don't work out for you, you might want to consider pulled the motor up a bit. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Dremel with flex hose for attachments and an easy out with a small ratchet... damn tight but it might work.
Old 10-11-2003, 02:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Damn timing belt!!!!!

Based on the space restraints I'd say dremel a slot in the stripped bolt-head, then fit an appropriatley sized screwdriver bit to the slot and crank on that bastard with a ratchet. Good luck