Notices

D16Y7 Turbo Project

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2004, 06:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default D16Y7 Turbo Project

I drive a 2000 Honda Civic LX running on a D16Y7, currently only lightly modified with a custom-fabricated cold-air intake (modified AEM cold-air design), custom-fabricated exhaust (modified GReddy EVO design), and an adjusted throttle cable. I've also got a custom-fabricated short-shifter with a GReddy shift ****. That's about it for performance, so on with the show...

I'm tired of being naturally aspirated. A friend of mine has a gorgeous boosted Nissan 240SX (~200HP, autocross built), and every time he passes me on the road and it hear him go by I can't help but want to have that feeling. Simple solution: build it; tune it; boost it.

So far I've got the brunt of the setup planned out, and I've got a custom-fabricated turbo manifold with a flange for a 35mm external wastegate. (Side note: You'll see over time that the majority of my parts will be custom-fabricated, simply because I can save a lot of money and get very high quality results. Saving money is always good!) Here's my list of things to buy in stage one of this project...

01. [X] Turbo Manifold (Custom-Fabricated)
02. [ ] 35mm Wastegate
03. [ ] T3 Turbocharger
04. [ ] Downpipe
05. [ ] Intercooler
06. [ ] Blow-Off Valve

I know that a T3 will spool quicker than a T3/T4, but what is the difference between T3 and T25? I've heard that the T25 spools very quickly, but I don't know much about the specifications. I also have a few other questions at this stage, such as ideal choices in downpipe diameters and blow-off valve sounds (I keep going back and forth between the HKS Super Sequential and GReddy Type-S. I love the way the sequential systems work, however I understand there to be a broken whoosh sound that's none too attractive, while the GReddy uses a valve system and gives off that signiture beautiful "pssh" but may have issues with boost leak as is often seen with piston systems.)

After I've got all of the above items ready to go I'll enter stage two, which will be collecting all of the cables, hoses, and other lines I'll need, and then stage three brings me to fuel management and so on. After I've got everything sitting ready to go I'll be installing my system, making sure it's running problem-free, and then dyno-tuning it. This brings me to another question. Is it possible to boost a car without removing the engine? I've never seen an install done within the engine bay, so I'm left wondering if it's possible.

I appreciate any and all information you can give me to help me out in this little endeavour of mine. I hope to have the system finished and running well by October of this year, or November at the absolute latest.

Thanks!

Rob
Old 06-26-2004, 06:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: D16Y7 Turbo Project (intradescant)

Hey man how much power u looking for?
Also what are u going to use the car for?

I can give u alot of info
Old 06-26-2004, 06:54 AM

Default Re: D16Y7 Turbo Project (JDMCRX)

I'm not looking for heaps of power as I just want something that's fun to drive. While behind the wheel of a boosted car that spools around 1800RPM I can't believe I ever put up with driving a naturally aspirated Civic. I don't crave incredible top speeds or incredibly fast cars, simply because I'm an incredibly fast driver. I'm looking to get as much acceleration and low-end torque out of my car as possible so it matches my style a bit better.
Old 06-26-2004, 07:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: D16Y7 Turbo Project (intradescant)

Hmmm

Well i would probly do like a talon T25 from a auto 2.0 due to the fact its small exh housing. Do hondata and a mild exhaust i dunno fast spool at 1800 rpm asking for alot lol .

All depends on the budget id go with a KKK or talon auto turbo u will not have alot of top but it will spool
Old 06-26-2004, 07:13 AM

I don't really push my car over 5000-6000RPM too often, so I'm not really looking for much top end. About when would a T3 spool up? Ideally, I'd like to be boosting as quickly as possible while holding the boost to about 6000RPM or maybe even 7000RPM.

Budgetwise, I'm looking to get everything done and running well on the street for under $1500, preferably under $1100.

Educate me! Heh, thanks!
Old 06-26-2004, 07:24 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: (intradescant)

t28 = your best friend
Old 06-26-2004, 08:21 AM

Default Re: (DewMota)

I think I am gonna be picking up a kit for d16y7 with a T25. I was gonna swap it and convert to a manual, but now I think I am just gonna go turbo\auto for now. It comes with a FMU, but what can I get to tune my car better other than hondata?
Old 06-26-2004, 04:14 PM

Default Re: (BME1986)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BME1986 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I think I am gonna be picking up a kit for d16y7 with a T25. I was gonna swap it and convert to a manual, but now I think I am just gonna go turbo\auto for now. It comes with a FMU, but what can I get to tune my car better other than hondata?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Nice thread hijacking, buddy.

Heh, just playin'. I've done a bit of thinking and I'm looking for a turbo that will spool around 3000-3500RPM to redline.
Old 08-02-2004, 08:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (intradescant)

Spooling up at 1800 is asking for a lot. Maybe in fifth gear you could get it to start spooling at 2000. A td04h is a good start for a small turbo that starts boosting pretty early. Mine starts boosting right around 2800 and reaches full boost around 4000- 4500rpm depending on what gear I'm in and the load.....
Old 08-02-2004, 09:17 PM

i just bought an ihi and the guy said its at full boost @ 2800 havent tried it yet cause i am still workin on it