Notices

Question about upgrading turbo components?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2014, 10:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about upgrading turbo components?

New to the honda game and definitely boost. Partna of mine practically gave me a brand new Godspeed turbo kit 2000 d16y8 Now my question is this when these components such as turbo wastegate fail will i be able to upgrade to better quality parts with little to no modifications or will i need to get a turbo manifold specific to the new turbo. Meaning if i go with another t3t4 from Greddy and wastegate from Greddy will i also need a Greddy manifold. Any input will be appreciated. Please no bashing i didnt join this forum for that.
Old 02-23-2014, 10:43 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts
Default Re: Question about upgrading turbo components?

Originally Posted by mrmeeks00
New to the honda game and definitely boost. Partna of mine practically gave me a brand new Godspeed turbo kit 2000 d16y8 Now my question is this when these components such as turbo wastegate fail will i be able to upgrade to better quality parts with little to no modifications or will i need to get a turbo manifold specific to the new turbo. Meaning if i go with another t3t4 from Greddy and wastegate from Greddy will i also need a Greddy manifold. Any input will be appreciated. Please no bashing i didnt join this forum for that.
GReddy, has unique components in terms of their configuration, so that's a bad example, but I see where you're coming from. The answer is, it depends upon what newer equipment you're going with, and what failed at the time that it happened..

If it was given. Honestly, sell the whole thing to someone you know and use the money to get components that will match instead of attempting to piece together one thing at a time as it fails. That's a better use of your new found Godspeed components.
Old 02-23-2014, 11:11 AM
I never narc'd on nobody!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Greddy makes a great setup, but like Shodan said...bad example. Their kit is almost an "all or nothing" kind of deal. If you wanted to use, say, Garrett, then assuming the current hardware uses standard flanges (it probably does, being a Chinese knockoff), you can replace each individual piece as you please. If the Godspeed kit is a T3T04E kit, you can switch out the manifold for another T3 manifold. If it uses a 38mm two bolt wastegate, you can switch it out for any other 38mm two bolt wastegate (or almost ANY other wastegate - people make adapters). You can replace the turbo as well, but you'll need something with similar, if not the same specs. Replacing a turbo with another with different flow rates without a tune, and you could do some damage.
Old 02-23-2014, 10:37 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

upgrading the internals of an eBay turbo, free or not, just isn't financially smart. you'll never sell the turbo for any amount of money regardless of what you do to it

and it goes beyond internals, every component of an eBay turbo is subpar, even the castings.

Greddy doesn't make any "t" series turbo and buying a new Greddy turbo is incredibly expensive, like costs more than your whole car expensive, and you'll do well to find any vendor actively selling them.

I agree with theshodan, if it was free and it isn't totally fucked I would sell it and put the money towards quality parts... you'll end up having issues with every part of that kit all the way down to little stuff like the couplers (total ****) and the clamps (even bigger piles of **** lol)

toss it on craigslist and sell it