Notices

d16 turbo setup

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 11:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default d16 turbo setup

hey i finnaly got everything together i think so im going to finnish doing a wire tuck ect on my engine bay and clean my motor.

anyways i got a adjustable fpr(AEM) FMU(Apexi AFC nea) and 580cc injectors. and a wideband controller the place im getting it at will talk to me later tonight on the choice but i want to go with aem eugo

to4e greddy turbo greddy fmic and type rs bov.
im also getting some colder plugs, i will be blind tuning this for now im going to run around 7psi im just doing this to learn i am working off a 17 yr old budget.
im also "blind tuning" retarding the timming ect and i hope it will stay running until the shop closest here gets a tuning program which will be in a few months.

any suggestions comments and of course lots of help is appreciated.!
Old 07-09-2008, 12:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: d16 turbo setup (i-want-a-crx)

Research "Crome". It's free and a helluva lot safer than what you're planning on. You obviously have no concept of what tuning really is.
Old 07-09-2008, 02:46 PM

Default Re: d16 turbo setup (Tippyman)

yes i know fuel and spark aslong as that is safe nothing will happen.
im going to run a very safe AFr and retard the timing
if only i know what i was doing in chrome i would buy a pocket programmer but it is kinda hard when you or nobody you know knows what they are doing over here there are no import performance shops except for one and they just started like a month ago

im sure keeping a 12-13 or 11-12 i would be fine aslong as i retard my timming its not like im going to run 400whp or something im just looking for something i can learn on.
i do have a basic idea on what to do, its just im realy young and have alot to learn, my dad works on his muscle cars and can only do me good with timing. and he is no mechanic either but he built a 1000whp drag car.
Old 07-09-2008, 04:54 PM

if ur gonna do it this way you should use STOCK injectors, stock fuel press regulator and the FMU , dont use the afc or the bigger injectors with the fmu. and make sure u hook the fmu up right. i would not use colder plugs cause if u plan on just retarding the distributor by hand u will always be fouling out the plugs. use stock spec plugs and gap around .28 ( i know from experience) i would not run more than 10-11 psi or so unless u absolutely know when to let off if there is a problem . or u will need a motor. i would run the dist at about 10 * base timing if this is the way u choose , its gonna be a bit sluggish till u get up to speed though. but its safer than blowing it up. or get a msd retard box. theres no mark for 10* on the pulley either so u gonna have to measure the distance between the 3 current marks and make your own marks to retard it .. i did a similar setup on my 1st turbo kit i made.. car ran ok suprisingly. even put down a 12.8 with it .
Old 07-09-2008, 08:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: d16 turbo setup (97grnrs)

I'm sorry, but I think this is just a horrible idea, If you are trying to learn how to ruin and rebuild/swap motors then this is probably your best bet.

I realize that this is just an internet forum, me, or anyone else telling you this is a bad idea, or not to do it won't matter at all, fact of the matter is, if you really want to do this, you are gonna end up doing it.

Now, in my opinion, what I think you should do is just take your time, build a nice setup, don't take short cuts. Like many people are going to tell you, its easier to do it right the first time, then to redo it all the second time.

So, with that in mind, if you ABSOLUTELY must do this (which I still don't think you should), atleast do something besides the FMU, look into the AFC hack, or run a basemap atleast, those aren't the greatest alternatives, but they are 100's of times better then an FMU.

Hope this helps.
Old 07-09-2008, 09:44 PM

Default Re: d16 turbo setup (EJ8 944)

id love to run a basemap atleast but i dont know were to get one if i can but i would like to do that
i would like to do it right the first time but i will have alot of problems doing it.
i would like to make way more hp off of this car, around 350, of course ill needs rods and pistons but for now i just want to get this kit on it

if i could tune i would do it right but i cant so ill have to learn the hardway
ive already swapped motors and transmission a few times that isnt a big problem for me.
would just getting a msd retard box be a way safer bet? and the afc? and would that work quite well?

how hard is it to learn to tune? like chrome am i just blowing it way out of porportion?
Old 07-10-2008, 08:27 AM

the fmu will work just fine. its not the popular thing to run so ppl will knock u but do what u want.. they do work but u gott aknow how to set it up.. like i said.. i ran an fmu on my first build and it was daily driven for a long time with no problems , and still ran a 12.8 ... a tune would be best option but if the $$ or knowledge isnt available then do what u know.

Old 07-10-2008, 11:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It's not a popular thing to do because it's a horrible thing to do, and many people have come to realize this, through someone elses experience with them, or even their own. FMU's are garbage, sure you can put one on and it will run, but how great it will run and for how long is a completely different story.

i-want-a-crx - you can get a base map from phearable.net, all you will need is a chipped ecu.

The MSD BTM and the AFC hack works to a certain degree, but you are still running way too much timing, which the BTM can solve to some degree (-3 degrees per 1 psi) but that still won't be cutting it on the safe side.

Honestly though, the base map is your best bet, and once you are at that point, getting tuned is only going to be another few hundred dollars. This is honestly the ideal route.

Modified by EJ8 944 at 8:17 PM 7/10/2008
Old 07-10-2008, 12:37 PM

the chipped ecu is only 150 dollars?
if i give them my specs on the motor and ect. will it run reliably like that? if it does i will definatley go that dirrection
Old 07-10-2008, 12:42 PM

u cant just give a company the specs and put that chip in and be done with it. it aint that easy. all setups run diff. u may get the chip back and find it runs lean or too rich or anything , then what? you gotta know how to tune it your self or have someone that can do it for u.
Old 07-10-2008, 06:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by i-want-a-crx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the chipped ecu is only 150 dollars?
if i give them my specs on the motor and ect. will it run reliably like that? if it does i will definatley go that dirrection</TD></TR></TABLE>

You can find chipped ecu's all day long on here for $100-110. You give phearable.net all the details of your setup, they have tons of bins from people who are running similar setups. This base map that they send you will get your car running somewhat properly. I wouldn't suggest driving on this forever or even for a very long time. You still need to get in to see a tuner as soon as possible.

But look at it this way, once you have the base map, just save up a few hundred and have someone tune it, it will run great, make good power, and be 100x safer then some half-assed fuel management deal.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 97grnrs &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">u cant just give a company the specs and put that chip in and be done with it. it aint that easy. all setups run diff. u may get the chip back and find it runs lean or too rich or anything , then what? you gotta know how to tune it your self or have someone that can do it for u. </TD></TR></TABLE>

No kidding, that's why they call it a BASE map, by no means is it a tune, you will likely receive something with very conservative timing, and a rich air fuel ratio. Take it in to a tuner, and have him "hone it in", if you will.

I don't understand why you are trying to suggest the worst alternatives to him, I'd much rather do what I am suggesting, then run a AFC hack or god forbid a FMU.
Old 07-10-2008, 07:09 PM

im not suggesting anything im giving my first hand experience with both. have u personally ever used an fmu or built a setup with one? if u did and u did it right u would know it will run just fine for what he wants . and ya getting an ecu is better but doesnt sound like he has anyone to set it up for him after the basemap in which case he will prob drive around on a base map forever and possibly cause more damage in the long run if he doesnt know how a turbo car should feel if its detonating or causing other problems. it aint my car he can do whatever he wants im just giving my 1st hand experience unbiased .
Old 07-10-2008, 08:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have used and FMU, and I have run the AFC hack, I have also had my car properly tuned.

I think an FMU is hands down the worst thing to use. But I'm gonna leave it at that, I'm not gonna argue with you about this.

i-want-a-crx - search around and read results and experiences from using each method, you will find you're answer as to which is better/safer/less hassle-some.
Old 07-10-2008, 09:34 PM

well i could run a basemap and then drive it to the closest place that will work im sure it will last a few hundred kms right?
Old 07-11-2008, 11:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Buy a basemap'ed ECU and then gently drive it straight to a tuner.

/thread.