Notices

D16 + HF mani + DSMT25 = My oil drain doesnt line up. Suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2004, 08:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default D16 + HF mani + DSMT25 = My oil drain doesnt line up. Suggestions?

Setup:
D16z6
HF Manifold
Adapter plate
DSM T25

My previous drain setup was using a barbed fitting on each end with a piece of high temp rubber hose. The hose was getting soft and so I decided to upgrade to a good SS drain system. Well I hook everything up and my drain line doesnt line up with the fitting on the oil pan, its lower than the fitting on the pan. That means I have to slope back up to get into the oil pan. My turbo hangs SO low and thats why I think im having the issue. I've got a 90 deg fitting coming out of the oil drain flange, a 45 deg fitting shoots the line even lower. You can see how short the SS line is also in the setup. The fitting on the pan seems to be in the same spot as everyone elses. Should I and Can I lower the fitting in the oil pan?

Here are some shots. Any suggestions? My car has been sitting on jackstands for like a month now, i'm itchin to drive again.

Thanks

Old 10-08-2004, 09:21 AM

Default Re: D16 + HF mani + DSMT25 = My oil drain doesnt line up. Suggestions? (T-RO)

Clock the turbo so the drain points toward the oil pan and use a 45*.
Old 10-08-2004, 09:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: D16 + HF mani + DSMT25 = My oil drain doesnt line up. Suggestions? (civicross)

Or plug up the old drain hole, and tap a new drain that will give it adequate flow back into the pan.
Old 10-08-2004, 09:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: D16 + HF mani + DSMT25 = My oil drain doesnt line up. Suggestions? (civicross)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by civicross &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Clock the turbo so the drain points toward the oil pan and use a 45*.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I thought this would allow oil to "pool" in the turbo, resulting in smokey turbo syndrome.
Old 10-08-2004, 10:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by civicross &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Clock the turbo so the drain points toward the oil pan and use a 45*.</TD></TR></TABLE>

The turbo is already clocked as far as I can towards the motor. My internal wastegate is already shoved up against the block. So clocking is kinda out also.
Old 10-08-2004, 10:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: D16 + HF mani + DSMT25 = My oil drain doesnt line up. Suggestions? (T-RO)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by T-RO &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

The turbo is already clocked as far as I can towards the motor. My internal wastegate is already shoved up against the block. So clocking is kinda out also. </TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Finest &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Or plug up the old drain hole, and tap a new drain that will give it adequate flow back into the pan. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Old 10-08-2004, 10:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: D16 + HF mani + DSMT25 = My oil drain doesnt line up. Suggestions? (Finest)

Where the line is pointing right now. Do you think that will be too low? I dont know where the oil level is inside the pan.
Old 10-09-2004, 12:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So mabye if I get a new 90 fitting that is "shorter" where I circled it should work right? That way the ends of the 90 are closer right?

Or mabye if I get a new drain flange thats -10an in size it will line up (right now i have an NPT-&gt;AN adapter coming out of the drain flange)
Old 10-09-2004, 02:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (T-RO)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by T-RO &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">So mabye if I get a new 90 fitting that is "shorter" where I circled it should work right? That way the ends of the 90 are closer right?

Or mabye if I get a new drain flange thats -10an in size it will line up (right now i have an NPT-&gt;AN adapter coming out of the drain flange)</TD></TR></TABLE>

agreed
you need this

very compact 90 degree hose fitting from earl
http://store.summitracing.com/...02456
Old 10-09-2004, 02:23 PM

Default Re: (igo4bmx)

Yea that's one of the few things I hated about the hf mani and adaptor plate, it sits the turbo so damn low. A real mani will fix the problem right away
Old 10-09-2004, 03:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (sporkcrx)

It doesn't really matter where you have the return tapped or how the hose is as long as the turbo's oil outlet is sitting higher than the inlet on the pan -- as i've said before, look under your kitchen sink for a quick lesson in drain physics.

I can't tell if that will work or not from the picture though, but like I said, as long as the tubo is higher, it will drain (even if you run a hose straight down to china and back up to your pan).

Matt
Old 10-09-2004, 10:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Johnyquest)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Johnyquest &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It doesn't really matter where you have the return tapped or how the hose is as long as the turbo's oil outlet is sitting higher than the inlet on the pan -- as i've said before, look under your kitchen sink for a quick lesson in drain physics.

I can't tell if that will work or not from the picture though, but like I said, as long as the tubo is higher, it will drain (even if you run a hose straight down to china and back up to your pan).

Matt</TD></TR></TABLE>

So if it slopes back up it will still drain effectively?
Old 10-09-2004, 10:39 PM

Default Re: (T-RO)

make your own fitting like i did... piece of steel for the flange and a coolant fitting from napa then weld it to the flange ... then a 3/4 conduit fitting for the oil pan... works great... i also have the hf mani , 3/4" thick adapter plate ,dsm t25 ,-12 line for the drain ...