D series - successful no head lifting....how did you TQ ur studs???

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2004, 11:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (VTC_resurected_CiViC)

No issues yet on my z6, I run 15 psi daily and it has seen as high as 17psi. Setup is stock sleeves with .020 over cp's, oem headgasket with a healthy coat of copper spray and arp studs torqued to 65lbs. The motor has about 10k on it now.
Old 12-16-2004, 11:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: (yellowturbo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by yellowturbo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">And even worst is to trust the copper spray... what a **** to use...</TD></TR></TABLE>

I used the copper spray fo insurance. It's supposed to fill in all the little imperfections. I reallt took my time in cleaning the block and head surface, I actually spent more time cleaning than I did installing the head gasket. "earl" even said he uses copper spray, so it can't be that bad.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ComputerJLT &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i dont know what you ******* are doing wrong but i've never had a problem with heads lifting or blown head gaskets </TD></TR></TABLE>

Turn the boost up to like 15 pounds and more than likely you will lol. My head has never been off the car so after 95k miles I am guessing it was about time for a new head gasket and better head studs anyways.
Old 12-16-2004, 07:59 PM
OG triple OG

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (Bailhatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bailhatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Anyone do a step deck on a SOHC? Seems like that would be a good idea especially since the sealing problems are all between the chamber and the water jacket.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i have a 4mm stepped deck aebs block on mine and i has having problems with blowing coolant . but i never resurfaced the head so i know its warped . head is getting resurfaced tomorow and getting put back on along with my new turbo setup.
Old 12-16-2004, 08:02 PM
OG triple OG

Default Re: (Hella_JDM)

im just wondering what you guys tq your studs to . im wondering if i should go 65 or higher....gasket is a cometic .51 mls.....and how do you loosen timing belt tension on a sohc????
Old 12-16-2004, 08:17 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

9-10 psi daily, for over 7000 miles. Proper engine management. Freshened JDM D15B. Stock head bolts (reused), 58 ft/lbs torque. Never any HG issues, even with a composite gasket.

Old 12-16-2004, 09:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hella_JDM &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">im just wondering what you guys tq your studs to . im wondering if i should go 65 or higher....gasket is a cometic .51 mls.....and how do you loosen timing belt tension on a sohc????</TD></TR></TABLE>

you loosen the tensioner by loosening up that 14mm bolt on your lower timing cover that holds the tensioner on. There should be a little black cover you need to pop off of the bolt to get to it. After loosening it you stick something down into the lower timing cover and push on the little spring loaded lever to relieve the tension.
Old 12-16-2004, 09:29 PM
OG triple OG

Default Re: (SOHC_MShue)

holy crap im lost lol!!! , i got the head off by sliding it to the left and taking the head off . so i didnt loosen the belt . but i have no idea what your talking about.

i will look at it tomorow , what cover do i pop off for the bolt? and what does the spring loaded lever look like? i have no manual lol.....
Old 12-16-2004, 09:36 PM

OEM KP ALTROM headgasket with stock headbolts (reused) shaved head runnign 9 psi. torques them to i think it was 50 ftlbs, absolutley no lifting.
Old 12-17-2004, 09:38 AM
OG triple OG

Default Re: (CRXdan)

bump.
Old 12-17-2004, 09:42 AM

Depends what lube you use on the ARP's. I used a stock HG and ARP lube. Torqued them down in steps to 60 ft/lbs. Went through 10 heat and cool down cycles and retorqued them to 72-75ft/lbs. Not a single problem at all with head lifting issues.
Old 12-17-2004, 09:48 AM
OG triple OG

Default Re: (Pfieffdog)

im still confused to the timing belt thing . i gotta get the tension off to put it back on , how do i do that and then put the tension back on , man pics would help lol!
Old 12-17-2004, 10:24 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hella_JDM &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">im still confused to the timing belt thing . i gotta get the tension off to put it back on , how do i do that and then put the tension back on , man pics would help lol!</TD></TR></TABLE>

Here is a pic I just took out of my Helms

Old 12-17-2004, 10:31 AM
OG triple OG

Default Re: (Pfieffdog)

what thing do i have to press down to relieve the tension....
Old 12-17-2004, 11:00 AM

If you loosen the adjusting pulley nut you can push it to relieve tension from the belt.
Old 12-17-2004, 11:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hella_JDM &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">what thing do i have to press down to relieve the tension....</TD></TR></TABLE>

dude, its like 10 inchs from your cam gear. straight down. right where the engine mount is. you dont need to take the cover off. there is a hole already there.

it's a 14mm. if you took your head off without losening that bolt. that's not good.

did you just pry it off or something.

platinum.

Modified by platinum00 at 5:12 PM 12/17/2004
Old 12-17-2004, 11:28 AM
OG triple OG

Default Re: (platinum00)

i just slid the head to the left and the timing belt came off with some help of my hand prying.
Old 12-17-2004, 11:49 AM

loosen the 14mm bolt and pull up from the back side of the belt and it will come out (loosen) then when installing put the belt on, turn the motor 3 teeth on the cam gear clockwise then tighten the 14mm bolt and our done
Old 12-17-2004, 03:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

its like they said straight down from the cam gear. Shine a flashlight down in there. I just use a long screwdriver to push on the lever. You will see a spring atached to it. Just hold that down while slipping the belt off.

On a sidenote i think i am pushing coolant again..... headgasket #4 so far has lasted me 2 weeks with me rarely even beeting on the car. I just did like one 4th gear pull today and then popped my hood later on and noticed my overflow filled up halfway...******* bullshit.

i just got my brand new tial wastegate to put on too
Old 12-17-2004, 03:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (omahaturbocivic)

Ok guys time for me to step in here, i have had this trouble also and here are the reasons,

For one, anytime you run boost over 30psi which is where my car stays at. 32psi to be exact, the cylinder pressure is through the roof, no matter what head gasket(i have tried them all) or what sealant (copper spray is way over rated!) if the tune is not where it should be IE the timing tables, this is very crucial on the D-Series, a small bore motor has alot more cylinder pressure @500whp than say a B-Series @500whp.

I am bringing this up to stop all of the stuff you guys are tring,with the studs, gaskets,sealants, step decks....ETC.

I have torqued my head studs to over 100Ftlbs!!! and have still pushed the gasket. I have RTVed the head gasket and copper sprayed the gasket with the end result still being that the car pushes coolant.

For you guys that are running higher that 1 bar of boost you really need to buy a real EMS to tune the car.AEM, Hondata. whichever.

I hope this helps all of you out.I learned the hard way by changing and buying parts way to much.

TUNING IS KEY HERE!!!

Brian
Old 12-17-2004, 03:31 PM

Default Re: (TurbodCX)

What kind of timing are you running? Screen shot maybe?
Old 12-17-2004, 03:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Also it is a good idea to have the head checked and make sure you guys use the factory dowel pins.

Brian
Old 12-17-2004, 03:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i'm running conservative timing and afr's in the high 11's to high 10's and still blowing my headgasket ... i'm using uberdata. I'm guessing that maybe the copper spray and rtv sealant work alright...the past 2 times I first used copper spray and then i used the rtv. They both lasted 2-3 months. Now this time i was fed up and didn't use any and it looks like my gasket is already leaking. I'm just gonna trash this damn block...i need to get the thing checked out.

Oh and my head is freshly resurfaced.
Old 12-17-2004, 03:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (beerbongskickass)

I know this isn't the most "proper" format... but anyone really have any reason why swapping stock headbolts with arps would hurt?

ie: already has reused headstuds (was a temp block) with a new headgasket. I was thinking of just using the normal removal process and instead of taking them all out... do it one at a time and replace it with an arp then torque that one down and continue to the next.....

Old 12-17-2004, 03:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (beerbongskickass)

My timing tables where they need to be to be able to hopld 30+psi and my motor has see as high as 40psi. with no issues.

I dont have a screen shot of it though. but lets just say that you guys would probally say i was crazy for the way the tables look.

Brian
Old 12-17-2004, 03:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (SOHC_MShue)

THe AFR souds good but what are you calling conservative timing???

Brian

Quick Reply: D series - successful no head lifting....how did you TQ ur studs???