To Cut or not to. cut... that is the question

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2014, 05:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To Cut or not to. cut... that is the question

too cut the bumper or not..... Hmmmm I just wanta stay classy San Diego... Lol

build:
6265 t4, old *** South Florida Performance mini ram manifold.
lsvtec forged Internals yada yada
tuned with s300

running big boy plate and bar FMIC the 3inch core 30x24ish(I think) and 2inch aluminum civic radiator pusher fan. made panel to block air on driver side (like oem plastic one)

Street tuned a base to break in motor. tuned with no bumper (wasn't thinking). put bumper on it gets hotter than I like.

theory :
bumper caused airflow restrictions. causing my Intake air temps to go up.. And coolent temps to go up, both which make Ecu to retard timming causing egt to rise causing the engine to get hot and stay hot..

I know what I'm doing (not a newb) no air in system, head lift, thermostat, blah blah blah... Lol.

issues-
1) engine temps on Highway are 215ish...
2)just header Wraped mainfold and downpipe
3)was going to. make more ducting for radiator to direct air threw rad.
4) really don't want to cut for security reasons
5)no nice way to cut bumper and make it look "stock cut" imo
Old 04-09-2014, 05:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 365 Likes on 271 Posts
Default Re: To Cut or not to. cut... that is the question

I did not cut my bumper at all and never reach over 200 freeway driving. It will get up to about 198 and once the fan kicks on it gets down to about 189-194ish.

Same with stop and go traffic, car never gets above 201. A good fan shroud and good fan will really make a difference.
Old 04-09-2014, 06:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yah during tune sess we saw no higher then 200 and that was after couple hard WOT pulls.
Old 04-09-2014, 06:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Can you not use the oem fan? Engine bay pictures would be nice? If you have to use a pusher can get a 13 inch Spal fan and wire it up to one of there relays using the oem wire to initiate the relay...
Old 04-09-2014, 06:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It is my experience that turbocharged honda street car overheating problems are not caused by you moving, but rather by you sitting or going too slow.

The reason for this is two fold, but mostly due to the fact that there simply isn't enough air flow over the radiator. The rest of it is caused by heat soak due to how hot everything in the engine bay tends to get.

The #1 reason people over heat in the summer is because they do not have a push/pull setup on their radiators, the end.

The air exiting your intercooler is two things. Much hotter than ambient (it has picked up heat from your charge air) and it is extremely turbulent due to separating off of the fins in the intercooler core. So, when it goes to enter your radiator it is hotter (IE, less cooling capacity), it is much slower than normal (IE, less cooling capacity), and due to turbulence has no real direction or constant pressure difference to go through the radiator (IE, you guessed it, less cooling capacity).

So, while you are driving around you are not cooling the radiator nearly as effectively as you could be. Problem, yes, but regardless at speed you will probably not overheat because there is still a large enough flow of air to get the mass through it that you need to (heat transfer works on the principle of mass flow (lb/min), never volume flow(cfm)).

At low speeds and in traffic, the typical puller fan setup simply doesn't create a high enough flow across the radiator to keep up with the demand. Fans work by creating a pressure differential, and thus flow. By adding a pushing fan to the other side of the radiator, you effectively increase the fan power by around 60-80%, AND you also pressurize the air (albeit slightly) through the radiator. In other words, you are now capable of pulling considerably larger amounts of air mass through the radiator thus increasing your heat transfer and saving you a lot of headaches.

Obviously, HPDE cars or something of the sort play by different rules, but street cars it's all about fan power.
Old 04-09-2014, 07:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Before you cut try a few things. People also use spacers to elevate the hood by the windshield. Google it. This lets trapped heat out of the engine bay
Old 04-09-2014, 05:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I overheated one night after a few consecutive pulls for a few moments. I immediately went home and went to a lower percentage of antifreeze in my mixture and added water wetter. I also cut the 3 holes the same night so I can't confirm nor deny if it helped. However it never did it again afterwards. It gave a much more direct shot to the radiator since the holes were somewhat above my intercooler. And although some may not like it, I kind of liked the holes.