Notices

crx goals

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 08:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default crx goals

hey guys, so here is the basics of what im looking at doing. In about 2 years I will be making literally double the money I am making now, so my short term goals, are to inexpensively do the best mods for my car. The setup is a h22A1 CRX. The h22A1 is a 95. The car has intake headers and exhaust with a p13 that is currently not chipped.

From what I have gathered the only real thing to do is get it chipped with a basemap, and maybe get some good NGK spark plugs (I have reason to suspect its been a while since they have been changed. I bought the car about a month or two ago, and the guy didn't remember when they were last changed). What other little things can I do that might help?

The other additions I was considering was getting the skunk2 Intake Manifold and a larger throattle body. The reason why im holding back on this, is that I'm questioning how much hp it will add. Especially when the price is in the equation? Anybody have the Skunk2 Intake Manifold? Does it really add 8% hp? I was looking at similar ones that said something like 3 to 5 hp, and that just sounds like a waste to me for the price.

In 2 years when I do forced induction will this manifold and TB help hurt or not make a difference?
Old 11-28-2012, 03:00 AM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Re: crx goals

Check back in two years and ask that question.
Old 11-28-2012, 03:07 AM
It's wU to the sOLdiEr!

Originally Posted by grumblemarc
Co-sign
I didn't know how to answer his questions either lol
Old 11-28-2012, 04:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you have a power goal? Do you know which characteristics of engine performance are affected by an intake manifold?

An intake affects the flow characteristics of the engine and also affects the RPM range of the engine. If you pick an intake with good flow but in the wrong range you'll lose power. Do some reading on intake manifolds, look at some dyno sheets, then you'll be able to decide whether that's an intake you want or not.
Old 11-28-2012, 04:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lmao
Old 11-28-2012, 06:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by josephcmiller2
Do you have a power goal? Do you know which characteristics of engine performance are affected by an intake manifold?

An intake affects the flow characteristics of the engine and also affects the RPM range of the engine. If you pick an intake with good flow but in the wrong range you'll lose power. Do some reading on intake manifolds, look at some dyno sheets, then you'll be able to decide whether that's an intake you want or not.
Thanks Joseph for answering the question. Ill spend more time with manifolds. I just haven't been able to find consistent information. I'll continue to search for more.
Old 11-28-2012, 06:54 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by xh22xcrx
Thanks Joseph for answering the question. Ill spend more time with manifolds. I just haven't been able to find consistent information. I'll continue to search for more.
You're not going to find much more information, because it is about average power increases, and not the true percentages that are advertised. (They are advertisements after all.) So no, 8% is possible but that's if everything is working at its maximum, and peak power is advertised with a proper tune.. That doesn't mean that its going to make that much of a difference.

When you get the car properly tuned, (no basemaps and such) only then will you see maximum gains.

Last edited by TheShodan; 11-28-2012 at 08:25 AM. Reason: punctuation.. Grammar adjustment
Old 11-28-2012, 08:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

There is no "sure fire" way of knowing the gains you will see with an intake manifold, or any bolt-on modification for that matter.

One thing is for certain though, Honda programmed their ecu's to perform MOST efficiently w/ OEM parts. So, when changing major components, such as an intake manifold, it is highly recommended that you adjust the ecu. Your ecu tune and components work hand in hand with eachother.

As a side note, yes an upgraded manifold and tb will work in your favor down the road when your budget allows some boost.
Old 11-28-2012, 05:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Good point TheShodan. Makes sense that they would do everything they can to get max performance out of a part and then put out the 8% gains.

Interesting point jdm h22. I have even heard that without a tune sometimes performance parts can make the car slower. Thanks also for the point on the manifold and tb helping me out down the road.

Thanks for the input guys. Right now its looking like ill go the manifold and tb route with the chip. I'm shooting for either late january of february it should be on. Ill post an update with a review to let you guys know the difference.

Since we are on the topic of forced induction, and me being a newb, how much boost can i put on the stock motor before needing to do a build? My power goals vary. I would first like to try to do it on stock internals and get as much out of it as safely possible. After ive had that fun id like to do a build and have between 300 and 350 whp or more if possible.
Old 11-28-2012, 06:32 PM
It's wU to the sOLdiEr!

why chip it? if you plan on going turbo then get hardware that will support such a feature. as boosting a stock motor thats literally a hit or miss. just search boosted prelude or h22 and see what should be looked at.
Old 11-28-2012, 08:07 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Ahh.. first rule of Forced induction is to never measure anything by "boost". Questions like "How much Boost/psi can I run safely?" or "how much psi should I make to go___ (Put unrealistic ET Here).

The stock engine can take about 300-350whp on the upper end safely, regardless of boost pressure or turbo used. after that, you run the risk of engine damage and reduced reliability (assuming that the stock engine was in good mechanical order to begin with).

You need to start making a plan as to the purpose of the car, then match the appropriate power level to that purpose. Use other setups on the forum that meet your needs in a similar fashion and go from that.

If its too good to be true... IT IS.. not probably is. IT IS..
Old 11-28-2012, 08:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

JustYncredible I should have clarified. The chip is just for fun now, I figure at least it will make use of the few monds I have done. (I am looking for inexpensive safe performance for now) When I get the turbo, im planning on doing a p28 with the s300 or neptune. I have also tried to find info on boosted preludes, but I must suck at searching because all i have really been able to find are a couple random youtube videos. If anybody knows of some good threads please let me know where to get them.

TheShodan: that 300-350whp is just what i was looking for. To be on the side of caution perhaps I would want to then shoot for 275 to 300. I gotta admit, I like that 300 number for my rex. Its got the whole back gutted so that would be a good amount of power!
Old 11-29-2012, 03:30 AM
It's wU to the sOLdiEr!

Keep searching because you need to get better at. I really don't understand how people don't know how to look up what they're looking for. What are you typing?
Don't spend your money on a chipped ecu and then pay again for a Neptune/S300. Just buy what is needed in the beginning and not these "temp" parts.
Old 11-29-2012, 05:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by justYncredible
Don't spend your money on a chipped ecu and then pay again for a Neptune/S300. Just buy what is needed in the beginning and not these "temp" parts.
^^^word from the wise.

Don't bother with any sort of pre-programmed "chip". They're simply not worth it. Do they alter the way your ecu functions? Sure. Are they achieving anything close to a proper tune? ABSOLUTELY NOT. The point of a tune catered to YOUR set-up is that it's working at its max potential with the parts (turbo, manifold, injectors, etc) that YOU are running.
No "chip" can do that because they're generalized, not meant for any specific setup.

Buy your engine management now, whether it's neptune, s300, ectune and enjoy.

Oh... and the management is useless without the proper tuner find yourself a competant tuner.
Old 11-29-2012, 08:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

good input guys. One thing i did also want to verify, is that 300-350 is safe with stock compression?
Old 11-30-2012, 02:32 AM
It's wU to the sOLdiEr!

That's kind of high. What did you find from other prelude guys?
Old 11-30-2012, 05:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I actually did find one really good thread. One guy said he is running close to 400whp on 10.1 (but he didn't list what else he had done to it)
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=172769

Seemed like a mix bag of opinions, but toycar had a really nice way of describing the problem with high compression turbo. So I get the idea I can run a turbo, just not crazy psi. On another thread

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=49731

guy ran 5psi and was able to make 240whp with no problems. but basically blew it up with 12 psi at 389 whp. Thats not what I want to do.

I would be more than happy making 300 if that sounds safe/realistic to you guys.
Old 11-30-2012, 06:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I third this

Just spent several thousand and immstill not where i want to be
Old 11-30-2012, 01:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by hondatech2000
I third this

Just spent several thousand and immstill not where i want to be
whats the setup/ whats wrong with it?