Notices

Crome Tuning for IDLE

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 03:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crome Tuning for IDLE

ok i dropped my car off at this shop agian for the second time (wont say what shop, they are the onlyone in my area with a dyno that tunes with crome)

i am trying to do this the right way but i am running thin on patiance...

story time:
94 ls
stock motor
rev hard stage 2 kit
stock map
stock FPR
450 injectors
crower stage 2 turbo cams

got the car back 2 weeks ago... idled like crap but took it home anyway. runs good up in the rpm's but only made 196whp on 10 psi
sluggish during low rpm driving 1-3k rpm
Now my biggest issue is why they cant get the car to idle like stock
if i plug the old ECU up it will idle great and drive around under 3k fine even with the over sized injectors.... but they cant get it to idle good with crome.... am i missing something? do other people have this problem with crome and getting the car to idle

kev
Old 03-24-2009, 03:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Crome Tuning for IDLE

oh car used to die when i came up to a stop light or let the clutch out entering a turn lets say from 35mph, but never does anything liike that with the stock ecu hooked up
Old 03-24-2009, 04:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

anyone?
Old 03-24-2009, 06:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sounds like strictly the tune to me i never have idling issues with crome as bad as that. what injectors are these? dsms? That almost seems down on power aswell what turbo do you have?
Old 03-24-2009, 06:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah. They probably don't know what they are doing. That happened to me, which is what inspired me to learn how to tune. It's either IACV settings or fuel settings, but I'm guessing fuel. You could let your car idle for a few minutes, then kill it and pull a plug to see if it looks lean (I'm guessing it's too lean at idle).

Can you ask for the map file and post it or send it to me? If you PM me i'll give you my email and take a look.

Every time my car has idled poorly it was a tuning issue. Crome, big injectors, and big cams have never caused me problems.
Old 03-24-2009, 08:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ridiculous....take it somewhere else. There's no excuse for such a thing. I've idled 1000cc injectors rock steady on crome...450's are nothing. Which crome are they using (free, pro, gold)?

free and pro idled better when the idle cell and all surrounding cells had the same value, and you of course have to stay closed loop. gold idles everything i've tuned rock solid
Old 03-24-2009, 08:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by arc_55
Sounds like strictly the tune to me i never have idling issues with crome as bad as that. what injectors are these? dsms? That almost seems down on power aswell what turbo do you have?
they are DeatschWerks 450cc injectors

it is a 60 trim turbo 48 on the hot side precision turbo

i was hoping for 250hp in that ball park at 10 psi...

kev
Old 03-24-2009, 08:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by RC000E
Ridiculous....take it somewhere else. There's no excuse for such a thing. I've idled 1000cc injectors rock steady on crome...450's are nothing. Which crome are they using (free, pro, gold)?

free and pro idled better when the idle cell and all surrounding cells had the same value, and you of course have to stay closed loop. gold idles everything i've tuned rock solid
yeah i think the same thing... but closest place that i know is respectable is in knoxville tennesse. like 200 miles away.. got a guys name from Xenocron and they sent me a base map i just have to find someone to burn the chip for me.
Old 03-24-2009, 08:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ive idled 1600! on a d16. that should be super easy.

-what afr are you running.
-what vacuum do you go at idle.
450s can idle from 13-16:1. without anyproblem.
196whp is nonvtec right?
Old 03-25-2009, 05:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

you should learn how to tune yourself and you wouldn't have this problem.. there are plenty of write ups to get you started, the one I used actually used 450cc injectors (before they were pre-set in ems software).
Old 03-25-2009, 05:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

you might be better off buying a wideband, you'd save yourself a lot of hassle in the long run
Old 03-25-2009, 06:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

that shop your getting your car tuned at probably dont know what they are doing...if i were you i would read up on the tuning basics and do it yourself...i had the same sitaution with a shop tuning my car until i got the material and the basic knowledge...ive been tuning my cars ever since that...it also gets you thinking about how a motor operates and so on.
Old 03-25-2009, 08:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ralph11sec
ive idled 1600! on a d16. that should be super easy.

-what afr are you running.
-what vacuum do you go at idle.
450s can idle from 13-16:1. without anyproblem.
196whp is nonvtec right?
It's a non v tec and I am not sure on the afr and at idle it was reading 14-15 hg before the tune. So I am not sure now I will check it when I get the car back. I paid them 400 for the dyno tune so if they don't get it right this time I am going to demand my money back since I know there is nothing wrong with the engine or sensors. I built the motor myself. Thanks for yalls help

keV
Old 03-25-2009, 03:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok i lost hope in that shop so i am going to figure out how to tune myself.... i ordered the moates kit with the emulator, burner 15 chips and all the cables needed... still waiting on my wideband.... so i will teach myself how to do this and not rely on anyone else cause it seems you cant trust any shops or people around here.... sorry for the rant i am tired of wasting money and my time.....

thanks everyone

kev
Old 03-25-2009, 05:49 PM
Trial User

FYI, If you purchased the Ostrich the Burner and chips are usless unless you want to take out the Ostrich and tune other cars. I'd just leave the thing in if it was mine. You will also need to buy a pro lisence if you wish to use the Ostrich with RTP functionality in Crome. Chris (Xenocron) has a good write up on starting out with Crome in his tech section.

I had Idle issues when I first started with mine. I found that the most important thing is that you set up the battery offset tables in the advanced tables section. Next I found that my car and most Idled much better in a leaner state. I suggest that you vistit the Crome forum @ PGMFI and read your *** off. Getting it to run reliably is most of the battle. If I can Idle 1000cc injectors on a resistor you can do yours.

Good luck.
Old 03-25-2009, 07:21 PM
FSAE

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You do not need Crome Pro to use chipless mapping. Once you have connected to the Ostrich, you can update the map by simple hitting CTRL + U, and it updates the map on the Ostrich, takes 1-2 seconds. You cannot do real time porgramming, where every adjustment is automatically flashed to the Ostrich, but it is only one keystroke away.

I am running Crome 1.5 and an Ostrich 2.0 with Freelog for datalogs.

As for the idle problems, Crome 1.5 is the best 'free' version of Crome, as the IACV slider actually works, and the advanced options like moving idle and idle vs ect work well.

Good luck with your tune.
Old 03-25-2009, 07:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do us a favor, take the chip to some one with a chip burner & post the bin file on here for us to look at. The issues you are having maybe tuning related or mechanical.
Old 03-25-2009, 08:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by mtber
Do us a favor, take the chip to some one with a chip burner & post the bin file on here for us to look at. The issues you are having maybe tuning related or mechanical.
i leave for Chicago for a week I will post next Sunday when I get back.

keV
Old 03-26-2009, 04:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

let me know too...

since you will be doing it only for your car, i suggest instead of getting the moates kit, get the s300 kit. its about the same price for a much better item.
Old 03-26-2009, 09:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by keving85
ok i lost hope in that shop so i am going to figure out how to tune myself.... i ordered the moates kit with the emulator, burner 15 chips and all the cables needed... still waiting on my wideband.... so i will teach myself how to do this and not rely on anyone else cause it seems you cant trust any shops or people around here.... sorry for the rant i am tired of wasting money and my time.....

thanks everyone

kev
PM me if you need any help with getting up and running, or if you need to understand how to start tuning and what to do, etc. It's not difficult to do a conservative tune to start with. You just need to understand what to do and what not to do.
Old 03-26-2009, 10:39 AM

I think it's your injectors.

D-werks have caused me nothing but problems. My 550cc's on my nissan would not idle worth a damn.

I would grab some dsm injectors and try that..
Old 05-06-2009, 11:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i am having the exact same problems with my idle as the original poster has described. can't find a mechanical problem with the IACV or vacuum leak or anything else for that matter. i think it must be the tune however the owner before me did the tune and not a shop. there are no shops around me that i know of. i don't really have the time or money to get into tuning... i just want to find a shop somewhere nearby that can fix this idling issue for me. anyone with ideas for anyone that tunes crome in michigan or surrounding areas lemme know thanks.