Notices

Crank (rear main) seal?? how many have.......

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2001, 11:21 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crank (rear main) seal?? how many have.......

Ok, I talked to hustler and he says its not uncommon to blow rear main seals (i.e. crank seal behind the transmission) on a boosted car.. I got to the shop the last two days, first of all the oil pan was jacked up.. and wouldn't seal correctly, so that was the major oil leak, secondly there is a very very very small drip from the xmission area, and is believed to be the rear main seal....

How many people have boosted their way to one of these failures??

I know perfomance has it's price, but damn... I hope this doesn't happen too often!!

any info??
Old 07-07-2001, 08:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Crank (rear main) seal?? how many have....... (GSRwBOOST)

Dude, my boosted sol has been good to me as far as leaks go. But rear main seals blow out because of the elevated crankcase pressure, therefore leading to failure of the seal which is the weakest link. Even more so than a head gasket if the seal is old and weathered. I've been a Turbo Buick guy for about 10 years, and GN's and T-types blow main seals like its going of of style. Much more than boosted Honda's do. Try to get a Neoprene seal for your motor, those are known for holding up better in boosted cars. Hope this helps. BTW, stay on top of your oil level with that leak. Peace.
Old 07-07-2001, 08:38 AM
New User

I blew the front main seal (under crank pulley), but I think it was prolly installed poorly (by me) because it was shortly after my motor build and it was replaced during the build... I had a HondAcura shop replace it this time and have had no problems since!
Old 07-07-2001, 10:13 AM
Trial User

Default Re: Crank (Drag3GSR)

im gonna have it fixed soon, just dont have the time and money to get it done this very moment.. i spent enough on this thing already!!!

ahhhh the price of maintaining a boosted car...
Old 07-07-2001, 10:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You shouldnt be blowing main seals out. you're crank case shouldnt have that much positive pressure in it. did you replace the seal when you had the motor rebuilt?
Old 07-07-2001, 09:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Peguin gets tired of the north pole and decides to take a vacation. Feels in need of a change so he decides to go to arizona and see what life in the desert is like. He rents a car and start driving along the highway when all the sudden his car breaks down and dies. He has it towed to a gas station where they ask him to wait while they inspect the car. Its hot as hell in arizona and the penguin really needs to cool off, so he heads to the store across the street and gets an ice cream. Now penguins have flippers not hands so he winds up makin a huge mess of himself and gets ice cream all over his face and flippers. Just then the mechanic walks in and sez "well buddy it looks like you blew a seal".. the penguin gets all excited and quickly answers "no.. its only ice cream!!!"

Oh yeah I blew the front tranny engine seal on the crankshaft side on my car. I too had a warped oil pan and only after having it replaced I realized I had another leak there. I'll just leave it like that until its time to replace the timing belt.