Notices

Coolant flow to Garret turbo: Question?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 05:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant flow to Garret turbo: Question?

Ok guys, so I kept my AC when I boosted the car. However, like most, my car overheats, especially with the AC on..making my investment a waste.

I have a few things up my sleeve, like re-installing the stock radiator and getting rid of the half sized (it will fit after I get my AC line re-routed), water wetter, etc.

I feel the biggest contribution to overheating is the super heated coolant coming out of the turbo. I can grab the lines and the coolant temp going into the turbo and then coming out are extremely different.

Right now I have the feed coming from the coolant tube on the back of the block, and then the return going back up to the upper coolant neck, right before it goes back into the radiator.

I have a custom heat exchanger with -6an Feed & Return connections. I'd like to mount it behind my intercooler and run the coolant from the turbo to the heat exchanger, and then obviously back up to the upper neck.

My question is: Is there enough pressure to fill the heat exchanger and then still push the coolant from the exchanger back to the upper neck?
Old 04-27-2009, 05:37 AM
official honda whore

Default Re: Coolant flow to Garret turbo: Question?

what fan setup do you have? do you have a shroud on it? is anything heat coated?
Old 04-27-2009, 07:38 AM
HELLO,GOOD MORNIN'

so are you doing this because of over heating? I would be concerned with your fan set up. i run my line directly out the front of the block from the B&R custom fitting and down at the bottom of the radiator with a 3/4NPT to -6an. From my knowledge that's one of the most efficient ways to run water lines
Old 04-27-2009, 09:10 AM
official honda whore

i think he will just need to update his fan setup, i found out i need to do this myself with the warm weather recently

13" spal with custom shroud here i come
Old 04-27-2009, 09:11 AM

It's a PWR radiator with whatever fan Full-Race sells. I do not have a shroud, however, with the Full-Race kit, the turbo sits right behind the radiator so there isn't room for a filter on the turbo or a shroud.

I'm hoping if I can squeeze my stock radiator back in, since its thinner, I can do some sort of custom shroud and keep 1 fan and also put an intake on the turbo to suck in some cooler air.

however, about my coolant flow, do you guys think there is enough pressure to actually push it all the way through a heat exchanger and back up to the upper neck?
Old 04-27-2009, 09:14 AM
official honda whore

if you wanted to, but the b&r kit like hybrid was mentioning does the same thing but puts it right into the radiator

try upgrading to a better fan first such as a spal 13"
Old 04-27-2009, 09:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

where can i get those water lines you are talking about hybrid?
Old 04-27-2009, 09:56 AM
official honda whore

www.bandrfittings.com
Old 04-27-2009, 09:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

haha wow im dumb thanks buddy!
Old 04-27-2009, 10:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i wonder if i could use the port on the back of my h22? The h22 dosent have plugs on the front, but it does have one in the back.
Old 04-27-2009, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by EARLdaSQUIRREL
if you wanted to, but the b&r kit like hybrid was mentioning does the same thing but puts it right into the radiator

try upgrading to a better fan first such as a spal 13"
See, I'm not worried about how the coolant gets to the turbo. It's already ran how I like it. I'm wondering if there is enough pressure to add in another 4 feet of so of line, install a heat exchangeer, and still have the pressure to push the coolant through the exchanger back to the upper neck.

The radiator just isn't cooling the coolant enough, so no matter how it gets back to the radiator isn't going to do me any good. I need another source of cooling.

I'm going to pick up a SPAL 13" fan, however, I'm not convinced that its much better, if at all, than what Full-Race sells.
Old 04-27-2009, 11:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by totsie7944

I'm going to pick up a SPAL 13" fan, however, I'm not convinced that its much better, if at all, than what Full-Race sells.
why are you not convinced? its been proven to work on many setups, T1 is selling it in his custom rad,fan,shroud combo. do you know any specs on the full race fan? i doubt its flowing 1700cfm

i would make sure the car is not overheating normally first, then try tackling the a/c
Old 04-27-2009, 11:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

well the other problem is that with eg's and integras don't have any sort of airflow. the whole front end is covered up, and with an intercooler blocking the only grille.. maybe try it with bumper off?
Old 04-27-2009, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by dpetro1
why are you not convinced? its been proven to work on many setups, T1 is selling it in his custom rad,fan,shroud combo. do you know any specs on the full race fan? i doubt its flowing 1700cfm

i would make sure the car is not overheating normally first, then try tackling the a/c

Well I'm sure its a better fan and pulls more cfm's, however, the car is still overheating more than a better fan will probably fix, especially considering I cannot run a shroud because there is no room. Believe me, Ive looked into the T1 setup...its too thick to fit.

I need another way to cool my coolant, like a heat exchanger for turbo coolant, but I do not know how much pressure is really produced, or if I am going to simply cancel out the flow by adding a heat exchanger in the mix.
Old 07-13-2009, 04:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

your ptoblem is u cant drain coolant to top rad hose as that the cold water going to blcok !