Notices

Contemplating going open loop, how much louder is it/power?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2001, 05:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Contemplating going open loop, how much louder is it/power?

fellas, i'm running a closed loop wastegate right now on my turbo hybrid accord. the sound of the turbo is unreal as the car is so damn quiet, except for a slight exhaust leak.

anyway, i'm thiniking about going open loop. i know it gets louder, but how much louder are we exactly talking about. and is it noticeably louder in the lower range or higher range. running a tial with a 2.5inch downpipe if that matters.

also, am i going to gain any power with the open loop. i know arturbo has the closed loop, but his loop enters the downpipe under the car. my dump tube enters the downpipe closer to the top of the downpipeabout 6inches or so away from the downpipe flange. will this also help my turbo spool a bit faster????
Old 08-13-2001, 07:47 AM
New User

Default Re: Contemplating going open loop, how much louder is it/power? (bgod)

The open/closed loop setup will only make a difference when your wastegate is significantly open, so that's only when you're at max boost or at least 60% of max boost or so (if you've got a boost controller, it's only going to be open at max boost. So that really won't make a difference in lag/spool time. Noise level; if you run a straight dump tube out the bottom of the car, when your wastegate opens up it sounds like you ran over a harley. I got sick of that sound and put a lawnmower muffler on my dump tube and now I can hardly tell when it's open. As far as power differences; I've heard that you can get up to 30 hp, but I believe that is compared to the closed loop setups where the wastegate dumps directly INTO the downpipe flange. You're probably not losing a significant amount of power with the dump 6" downstream, but you may gain a few hp going open-loop.
Old 08-13-2001, 11:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Contemplating going open loop, how much louder is it/power? (dbman96)

i'm running open loop, have the wastegate dumping everything underneath my car. Yes its loud.. it attracts a lot of attention (especially coming from a Honda) and it scares the **** out of people (gets super loud if you squash the end of the wastegate dump pipe) whether they be walking on the side of the street or driving in the lane next to you. It does invite a lot of races though, so if you don't want to be noticed.. keep it closed-loop

I used to run it close-loop, now its open.. and just from doing that, my quartermile time was roughly 0.2 secs faster.. so its worth a try..
Old 08-13-2001, 11:13 AM
Trial User

Default Re: Contemplating going open loop, how much louder is it/power? (nathan's boosted civic)

when you are racing, who cares how loud it gets! the ultimate sucking sound from the turbo is all you really hear...

[Modified by Purelude, 12:14 PM 8/13/2001]
Old 08-13-2001, 11:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Contemplating going open loop, how much louder is it/power? (Purelude)

Open loop my car is really loud under full boost. Sounds like a V8 to me I like it a lot.

Dustin
Old 08-13-2001, 11:53 AM

Default Re: Contemplating going open loop, how much louder is it/power? (dustin)

definitely something to look into if i can get more power at full boost.

nathan's-so .2 seconds huh. that's a pretty good difference right there.

do you guys know if i can just wrap the hole on the down-pipe with one of those muffler repair kits or do i need to weld. i could do the muffler repair kit at home but would have to get it welded at the shop.
Old 08-13-2001, 01:19 PM
New User

Default Re: Contemplating going open loop, how much louder is it/power? (bgod)

open loop is so damn loud, but thats only on full throttle when your turbo is spooling up like crazy. the sound is so cool, too... makes your car sound heated!
Old 08-13-2001, 09:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Contemplating going open loop, how much louder is it/power? (dlplayboy)

damn, mines always quiet. hmm?