Notices

cometic gasket for turbo...

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2005, 09:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cometic gasket for turbo...

any recomendation on it? i would like tto know what size(thickness) gasket to get. the motor is going to be completely stock(10.1:1 cr). i want to be making at least 300hp to the wheels. help me out in choosing a correct right size head gasket(cometic one)

**don't flame people, i want to learn.
Old 10-02-2005, 12:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: cometic gasket for turbo... (gsrious)

stock is best!

i hear a lot about aftermarcket HGs and they tend to blow. Your compression sounds a bit high, might want to get a 3 layer HG to drop the compression down to around 9:X to be safe.
Old 10-02-2005, 12:49 PM

Default Re: cometic gasket for turbo... (ek9vboi2)

it all depends on how much boost you want to run. For example if you are running 10:1 comp with a say 6-8 psi of boost, the turbo will spool faster than the same setup with a 9:1 comp. but the 9:1 will be capable of hirer boost. in terms or a head gasket it will be the same you are still dealing with over all cyclinder pressures. my personal experiance and basic logic tells me that the less material to give way between the head and the block the better. so by that rule of thumb. YOu would end up getting a meatel head gasket that is goign to bump up you compresstion. However depending on the boost level you may want to get some pistons to drop you compresstion. for example i have a motor build in the works to run a 10.4:1 comp with 6:psi boost (fullboost at about 2000rpm) I plan on running the thinest head gasket i can find to one bump up the compression (wake up the boost sooner) i am not really looking for like 350 horse power or anything but yeah i guess that would be my two cents worth and pls correct me if i am wrong
Old 10-02-2005, 05:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: cometic gasket for turbo... (itrhatchling)

First off, there is a lot of misleading information here....

Cometic hg's are MLS design, hondas anyway. They come in varied thickness' and bore sizes. You will need to know how much material was removed from your block and/or head, if any....although the head should have a cleanup cut if its off and at the very least a straight edge layed across the block's deck to make sure its within factory spec. (shouldn't be able to get a .002-.003" feeler gauge under the tool anywhere along the blocks surface). Cometic also has an HP gasket which I use and recommend for FI app's. This gasket has a thicker ring in the middle layer to provide additional sealing around the cylinder bore.

A good tool for finding out compression can be found here if your using stock pistons. http://c-speedracing.com/howto...c.php If your using aftermarket pistons, you will need to know dome displacement of said piston.