Notices

Color coding bearings checking for sizes??

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 06:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Color coding bearings checking for sizes??

I'm building a d16z6 for turbo. I'm using eagle rods and cp pistons. I've got a guy here locally I've been talking to, getting ideas from for my build. He worked at honda for like 20 years he's telling me I need to color code by bearings using Honda bearings. I didn't do this on my lsvtec build. I just ordered a set of clevite bearings. And I never had an issue. So my question is, is this something I need to do. Or can I order a set of "standard" acl or clevite bearings. He's kinda got me freaking out on it and I don't no what to do. It's gonna b like 400 bux he's saying to get a full set of bearings and thrust washers from Honda.
Old 05-30-2012, 07:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Color coding bearings checking for sizes??

Search for Earl's "bearing thickness" thread.

Yes, it's the better way to get accurate sizing/clearance for each bearing..the colors just identify the sizes of bearings.
"standards" are a set with all the same clearances for each rod. which will work usually, but it's not the best way.

http://www.hondapartsunlimited.com/f...T%20-%20PISTON

The rod bearings are ~9.50 each..u need eight. Mains about the same.
U need ten. So about 200 bro, not 4..for the best...so dont worry..get OEM.

There will be measurements needed to order them tho, made with a micrometer and a bore gauge. Since u dont have them..maybe that's what the extra is for..the clearance checking/figuring.
Bearing clearances determine the oil film to the crank/rod bearings and affects oil pressure...the oil "leaks" past the looser clearances faster. Can also control this with oil weights to some degree, but it's best to set them properly with correct clearances. Just depends on how meticulous u want to be, man.

Watch this these tutorials..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtTXA9_a8sI
Old 05-31-2012, 05:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks alot for that. that makes me feel alot better lol. we've already coded it and im gonna chk out another block i have. because he said he didnt like that a couple of the bearings were gonna take the thickest bearings. also does ne one no in which order you go on the main bearing coded is cylinder 1 closest to the bolt hole or furthest away. thansk again for the help

Last edited by lsvtec_hatchback; 05-31-2012 at 06:00 AM.
Old 05-31-2012, 11:42 AM
Moderator in Chief

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Did you at least plastigage your LS/VTEC bearings?
#1 is always the tbelt/oil pump side.
You should seriously pick up a factory service manual...
Old 05-31-2012, 01:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

No i didnt. the lsvtec was my first build. I didn't find out about the color coded bearings or plastagauging until after I'd been driving. I drove it as a daily driver foras little over 7 years took it to the track a couple times a year. I never had any problems out of it besides a aftermarket cam breaking on me right after I got my s300 and the t-belt broke while my sister was driving it. Replaced can the first time and t-belt the second time no problems. Lol I understand I was probably very lucky. Actually it just broke down after about 9 years. I sold it to my buddy after i wrecked my civic. Hes been driven it daily over a year in his delsol drives to florida about once a month. The valve spring collapsed or something. It dropped a valve messed the head up and put a hole in the piston. I understand the cylinder order I meant the main codes on the bell housing side of the block I was trying to figure out which letter was #1 so I would no the order. Much thanks to B and B he really helped me out with parts and all the info I needed.