Notices

CIVINCO SUPERCHARER - Anyone seen this system?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2008, 07:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default CIVINCO SUPERCHARER - Anyone seen this system?

I was doing some late night supercharging research and I stumbled upon these guys. Anyone heard of this system or used it? It's strange how the SC uses engine oil for lubrication, and that it needs an entirely separate cooling system to keep the charge temps low.

Seems overly complicated. I also read through an installation manual (http://www.civinco.com/pdf/Honda%20S...all%20v1.0.pdf) and the process seems very involved.

They admit it's no bolt on kit, and they're right. They don't really give you too many specs but they claim it can net some high numbers. Expensive too, even for a very basic kit.

Kind of a pointless post, but I'd never seen this before and it interested me.

here's the english version of the site. http://www.civinco.com/eng_index.html
Old 05-18-2008, 08:28 PM
Man U FTW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It looks like a good idea, but after checking the prices on their site, i would have to opt for something else. There's no way i'd pay more than $2k for a supercharger setup on a B series. For a hair more than that, i could easily make more power with a turbo setup. Someone may find this setup appealing though...just not me
Old 05-18-2008, 09:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

screw that. looking at $5000 for a supercharger. thats just retarded.
Old 05-18-2008, 10:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (RedneckRicer)

Interesting setup how its directly bolted to an intake manifold. I just wonder where the air intake for it is going. Most SCs are cooled by engine oil and then they just use an oil return line.

And apparently you guys haven't seen SC kits for the S2000. You can't find one new for under $5k.
Old 05-18-2008, 11:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: CIVINCO SUPERCHARER - Anyone seen this system? (paton5g)

The differences between this and a JRSC are the 2 things you don't notice until you run it. It doesn't have a cheap blower on it that values low noise over power, and uses a short belt that likely will stay on far longer. The JRSC's need lots of love to make decent power, and the single LONG belt is always an issue as it falls off/breaks often. A separeate shorter belt for the blower may be worth it to some people. And for some, a blower that 15-20% more efficient may be worth it. Look at the M90 setup that's being built here, the 'special' blower blows OEM-style M90's out of the water in terms of power.
Old 05-19-2008, 12:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

That isn't weird that it uses engine oil
Old 05-19-2008, 02:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (MidShipCivic)

The separate cooling system is really a air to water intercooler. Which is far superior to the jackson non intercooled set up. I am a turbo person myself but that is a damn nice supercharging kit. It be about like comparing a Ken bell blower to a stock cobra supercharger in my opinon.
Old 05-19-2008, 03:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

looks pretty good to me. Anyone on here running this setup?
Old 05-19-2008, 06:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Looks like the lysholm chargers used on VW's, they are known for being relatively loud but do make very good power on 2.0L VW motors (who make ~140bhp stock, and with one of these put down ~230ish) it's the same design as the aforementioned Kenne Bell chargers, twin screw autorotor design.
Old 05-20-2008, 02:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (LudeLooker)

those autorotor chargers are way way more efficient than the m62 in the jackson kits..

its not uncommon for a supercharger to use engine oil, vortec kits are this way i believe.

the spring loaded tensioner is nice, much friendlier on belts than a standard manual tensioner.
Old 05-20-2008, 03:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (JDogg)

Damn, that thing looks pretty freaking nice. I'd love to give it a try.
Old 05-20-2008, 09:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's interesting. The big problem that I see with that setup is the belt setup. It uses stock 4-rib belts, and has less that 180 degrees of wrap on that little alternator pulley. You have to transmit all of the power to drive the blower over those belts. It does have better wrap from the blower to the alternator, but there's only so much that you can do with a 4-rib belt. And the tensioner is manual, not spring-loaded. They say on the main page that it can make 280 HP, which is in the neighborhood (it's a little low, but close) of what I would expect the limit of a 4-rib belt driven blower to be capable of. The installation doc says they made 400 HP at 24 PSI on their motor, but that seems a little wierd, 400 WHP at 24 PSI would be the result of a really inefficient compressor on a B16, not the result of an Autorotor on a B18, and I'd have to see 400 WHP on a 4-rib belt to believe it. Maybe the Autorotor is just that much more efficient that it only takes a 4-rib belt to make 400 WHP? If you want to make a lot of power (and I'd want to make a lot of power if I was spending that much on a blower), then I think that you need more belt. This has long been an issue with JRSC and Vortech kits.

The other, less important issue is that it's using a Lysholm compressor, which compresses internally, so there's no way to bypass it and lessen the load when you're not boosting. You can bypass it, but as long as it's spinning it's compressing air. That's an efficiency hit that I could live with if it made 400, but not for 280.

And so it's not all hating, I'm loving that top-mount Autorotor setup and the Laminova intercooler. I can see why the price is so high; that is some high end stuff.