Notices

Civic EX SOHC South America Project

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2003, 08:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Civic EX SOHC South America Project

Hey y'all whats up? Well im really new to this forum and it seems ill be hangin around for a while...... Well heres what i need you guys to help me with:

First of all, I just bought a 1998 EX SOHC Civic (D16Y9). I was lookin around for the best power option and of course i need a turbo cuz chargers wont do the job here.... Ok so ill basically need some help choosing the turbocharger and some other things. Considering my engine is one of the slower ones, non dohc, non vtec, non nothin! ill be needing lots of advises.

Ok so first i want to stand out i dont plan to build a 350whp beast out of my car as i will be needing internals and a looooooot more things for not blowin the engine.

So what i want is the best i can get for my car maybe a small turbo so ill have little or no lag and i dont want to spend 4k bucks.

I basically need to know which would be the best combination for turbocharger, injectors and engine management. For the blow off i got an used lancer evo 5 one, that i bought for 80 bucks . I have the intercooler already and other things like the fuel pump, gauges, etc.

Well what do you recommend? Its really a pain in the a$$ to find info for hondas here as everyone is into mitsubishi and subaru - here in venezuela.

Waiting for an answer and thanks in advance, bye
Old 12-12-2003, 08:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Civic EX SOHC South America Project (cibitch)

the search button is your best friend.

located conveinently at the upper right corner of you screen.
Old 12-12-2003, 10:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Civic EX SOHC South America Project (2.2Lcivic)

Sup neighbor...

Yeah, turbo is the best option. Do you have access to a dyno and a decent engine tuner ? If so, I'd recommend the first thing you do is invent about US$1100 in a full Hondata S200b engine management system (www.hondata.com) It will allow you to tune in Venezuela, on a dyno... that way, no matter what you change, you're covered and will be less likely to blow it up.

You might want to look into getting a partial greddy kit... the turbo isn't huge...spools quick and can make good power. The kits are normally pretty complete and you can prolly pick one up on HT for under $2000 or maybe even under $1000 if you look hard. The i/c and piping I'm sure you can source in Caracas from local junkyards. The greddy kits come with internal w/g's, which will allow you to run low to moderate boost w/o a problem.

HT members have made close to 200whp on stock internals on similar motors at sane boost levels, so read posts... you'll get a better insight.

good luck

Old 12-12-2003, 04:33 PM

Default Re: Civic EX SOHC South America Project (X2BOARD)

Thanks for that info!. Yes we do have a dyno here so I can do it there.... I found an used greddy kit for 900 bucks without the intercooler. Illl let you guys know when the installation is done. Wish me luck...........
Old 12-12-2003, 04:36 PM

I can easily locate the search button, but if you read carefully, youll see my engine is quite different from the ones available in the U.S. so theres nothing in this forum regarding my engine. Anyways thanks for suggesting the search........
Old 12-12-2003, 06:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

What country is DF?
Old 12-13-2003, 09:22 AM

Default Re: Civic EX SOHC South America Project (BG Boost)

Caracas, Distrito Federal, Venezuela
Old 12-13-2003, 09:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

in your post you said you had a d16y9, did you mean d16y8? If so, you have vtec. I have never heard of a d16y9 is it only offered in south america? Just wondering. Good luck with the project, you will love it when you are done.
Old 12-13-2003, 09:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Civic EX SOHC South America Project (genop)

d series is d series no matter what part of the globe your on, take your somewhere else.
Old 12-13-2003, 10:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I was asking a serious question *******. Jesus, just because you know everything there is to know about honda motors doesnt mean I do. How about you take your somewhere else
Old 12-13-2003, 12:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by genop &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I was asking a serious question *******. Jesus, just because you know everything there is to know about honda motors doesnt mean I do. How about you take your somewhere else </TD></TR></TABLE>

apparently you didnt know i wasnt talking to you.

this is what i was refering too

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cibitch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I can easily locate the search button, but if you read carefully, youll see my engine is quite different from the ones available in the U.S. so theres nothing in this forum regarding my engine. Anyways thanks for suggesting the search........ </TD></TR></TABLE>

so like i said take the elsewhere.
Old 12-13-2003, 02:15 PM

Yes im 200% sure my engine is y9, dont you have it there in the u.s? uhmm did you know that from 96 to 00 they imported the civic with the d16y9 only. there´s only the EX model in those years. from 91 to 95 they imported the EX, LX and Si and the new generation is the same as in the u.s, vtec 1.7l. So i have to say that im ridin one of the stockest (that word exists?) ever imported!!!!. anyways i keep lovin my civic, even stocky and non vtec. anyways, when u got boost you dont seem to care about those y`s 8`s and 9`s (i cant wait !!) cheers
Old 12-13-2003, 04:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sorry about that 2.2Lcivic you replyed to my message and it was a weird question so I thought you were talking to me. No hard feelings.