Notices

Check engine Code 3, running extremely rich

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2012, 06:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check engine Code 3, running extremely rich

Hey, ive trouble shot this as much as i can and im stumped (i could be in the wrong section but since the car is turboed i figured i would try my luck here). I repinned my injectors due to having some split wiring at the injector clips now that i have everything plugged back in im getting a code 3 engine light (map sensor high/low voltage) im running a GM 3 bar map sensor that was operating fine until i unplugged it. The car is absolutly dumping fuel and has a hard time idling. I checked the voltage, its getting a consistant 5V with the key turned on, car off (which from what i can tell is within spec). i checked for vacume leaks (it only goes to the manifold with a tee to my blowoff valve. I aslo checked voltage to my injectors (all 4 getting i believe ~11.37v) they are DSM 450's. I aslo cant get the code to clear (tried having the back up/radio fuse out for several minutes as well as unplugging the ground from the battery with no luck.

Any ideas/help would greatly be appreciated.
Old 04-28-2012, 07:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Check engine Code 3, running extremely rich

The obvious answer here is that something changed when you re pinned or fixed wiring.

Go back through all of the wiring you messed with, with a fine tooth comb, when your done, check it again.....something is not the way it was before....
Old 04-28-2012, 08:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I know something changed since I took it out but all I did was repin the injector clips, didn't touch anything else....will pull it out again and see what it could possibly have changed. Also any ideas why my check engine code won't clear?
Old 04-28-2012, 11:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah....The ecu is pissed off about something, there must be a short in a wire somewhere
Old 04-28-2012, 12:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The only thing I'm not getting is its getting the proper voltage to the sensor and the resistance between the sensor and plug seemed about right according to hondata's writeup on the GM 3 bar. I just pulled the harness again though and will be going through looking for any bad connections, will keep this updated and hopefully find a solution.... I hate how many honda tech threads end in "problem fixed" with no explanation of how it was fixed!
Old 04-28-2012, 04:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Pulled the harness and I chased the wiring all the way back to the ecu, don't see any problem areas. The car is tuned on crome and is set for the 3 bar map sensor and was running great till it started fouling plugs and I decided to fix the injector clips (which ha split wire casings just outside of the clips). It still has the factOry map sensor on the throttle body with nothing plugged into it, is it possible that crome forgot about the map sensor change and is trying to use the factory sensor?
Old 04-28-2012, 04:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah its possible, if your 100% sure the wiring is good. Tunes are not fail proof, they can developed "bugs" and have to be redone. Hopefully whom ever tuned it keeps there bin files so you can try to burn it again and not pay for a new tune.

Especially with crome, it has the least support, and is the most prone to glitches and problems. That's why I am going Neptune on my current build.
Old 04-28-2012, 04:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Doesn't DSM 450's require a resistor box?
Old 04-28-2012, 07:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have a resistor box, not sure about the tune will have to call and see of he keeps his .bin files
Old 04-28-2012, 09:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Also this i way off topic but since i have a thread started i figure i might as well ask here, what power source are people using for there wide band gauges(i have a MTX-L)? going to do the install tomorrow and just want to get a good solid power source the first time instead of the guess and check method.
Old 04-29-2012, 06:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Motox122jk
Also this i way off topic but since i have a thread started i figure i might as well ask here, what power source are people using for there wide band gauges(i have a MTX-L)? going to do the install tomorrow and just want to get a good solid power source the first time instead of the guess and check method.
Fused into wht/black on ignition switch wiring harness