Notices

Changing boost and tuning ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2009, 05:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing boost and tuning ?

I juts bought a 98 civic dx with a full b16 a2 swap and pushing 13 psi with the basic boltons, cam gears, some head work. It was tuned by the last owner but i m afraid of running that much boost on a daily basis even though the engine was completely built to handle it with performance rods and piston ect... It pushes 300 hp and i was wondering if i could turn the boost down to like 6-7 psi w/o having to get it retuned. It has a manual boost controller. This is my first civic so im not really familiar with all the ins and outs coming from 4 mustangs in a row.

Could i change the boost to my liking w/o any ill effects between everyday commute and some night racing? Also can a well built engine handle that much boost on a daily basis since im not driving more than an hour total?
Old 10-24-2009, 06:28 PM
Mr. Badwrench

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Changing boost and tuning ?

down, yes. up? no.
if the car was properly tuned, all of the boost columns to the point you have the highest boost should have been covered.
Old 10-25-2009, 06:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by azandford
Also can a well built engine handle that much boost on a daily basis since im not driving more than an hour total?
The answer is yes. In fact STOCK B16's can handle 300 whp on a daily basis with flying colors, granted the motor is healthy and the tune is spot-on. You're fine. I would leave it the way it is.

You are at a quite conservative power level for a built B16, so dont worry about how much psi your pushing. Excessive torque, high cylinder pressures & detonation is what kills motors, not psi. Drive that bish and have fun, homie.
Old 10-25-2009, 06:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If you want to run a lower boost level you must first determine your WG spring will allow you to go that low.
Old 10-25-2009, 07:24 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by TurboK
If you want to run a lower boost level you must first determine your WG spring will allow you to go that low.
Yeah you can only go as low as your waste gate spring. Maybe contact the guy you bought it from and see if he remembers what it is.