Default Re: Chance EG Build Thread - Restomod With Arashi Turbo, Tucked AC, Etc

My turbo drain works perfectly… just sayin
Old 06-27-2023, 02:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 442 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by Pepe14
My turbo drain works perfectly… just sayin
Indeed, but you went the extra mile with yours adding the secondary reservoir and the inner-pan channel.
Old 06-27-2023, 02:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 96 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Chance EG
Indeed, but you went the extra mile with yours adding the secondary reservoir and the inner-pan channel.
The chra oil drain reservoir is actually a pretty common thing. And a good ideal for low mounting turbo.
Old 06-27-2023, 03:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ls joker
The chra oil drain reservoir is actually a pretty common thing. And a good ideal for low mounting turbo.
Not something I'd seen before Pepe did it. May try to add one later on, if the 60 degree fittings help the angle at all.

As it currently is adding an in-line reservoir would be fairly pointless. Things I'll address later, either improve the current design or plan on changing the whole setup to top mount down the road. Again, I'm at a point where I'm running out of cares to give and just want this stupid car on the road. I'm anticipating a large amount of issues regardless of what I do or don't do at this point.
Old 06-27-2023, 04:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 178 Likes on 151 Posts

What you going to do after you suck a rock through the turbo 5 miles in?
Old 07-06-2023, 07:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Making needed cuts to the IC piping and rejoining with couplers to get better angles on everything and proper alignment - so far going very well, have the cold side piping all figured out. Hot side, coming directly off the turbo will be a little trickier but should be able to make something work, things are tight between the downpipe and drain line that run right where the piping needs to go. $100 bead roller tool is working extremely well, I'm getting better beads than what these eBay pipes came with to begin with.

In the early stages of finalizing wire routing through the fenders, unfortunately as much as I'd love to put the fenders and bumper back on the car it makes a lot more sense to leave everything exposed until I'm 100% sure everything is routed and working.

Chase Bays customer service is top notch - sure enough the line they included with my kit is their "old design" and when they saw the picture I sent they immediately mailed out their "updated" version with no further discussion. Should be able to finally get the power steering all buttoned up and the driver headlight back in.

Ordered a new turboguard with a finer mesh screen because I love wasting money.

Mustang news: Swapped TPS and so far no CEL has come back on, also reversed the quad shock orientation on the rear which resolved the rubbing I was getting on the 275/17 tires. Multifunction switch and dimmer switch should be in the mail today which I'm hoping fixes a couple of the electrical problems, then I can finally get it to pass inspection.

I'll post some more pictures once I have the radiator in for the final (*******) time since I have to remove it to swap the turbo guard. I finally feel like I'm really on the home stretch with this car, don't hold me to a time table since there's always something to get hung up on, but I'm hoping to have the car ready for tuning by early August. Plan is to pay Jeff Evans for an e-tune. I am still expecting multiple issues on the first startup and initial run through.
Old 07-07-2023, 02:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ive read that years ago chase bays was awful, so i steered clear from him. Good move on the different turbo guard. Potentially couldve cost you a motor
Old 07-07-2023, 03:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Old 07-07-2023, 06:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ive read that years ago chase bays was awful, so i steered clear from him. Good move on the different turbo guard. Potentially couldve cost you a motor
Their parts are good quality, and so far both times I've reached out to their customer service they've been quick to respond and had no hesitation fixing the issue.

Responded in 30 minutes early on a Monday morning, and I got a notification that they shipped the corrected part later that day.

Old 07-07-2023, 10:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If hes still around from way back when i heard all the complaints, he mustve turned it around
Old 07-20-2023, 07:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If hes still around from way back when i heard all the complaints, he mustve turned it around
Well their support is very prompt and friendly, but even the "new" line they sent me was way too short and just clearly not optimal for this kit. I ended up making my own low pressure line out of some extra AN10 nylon hose and a couple fittings I had.

Recent updates:
IC piping has been fully routed. Big thanks to Dax for giving me the idea of just cutting the existing pipes and using couplers to re-angle things. Piping is extremely tight all over. BOV hooked up.
Boost solenoid has been mounted, vacuum lines ran to wastegate.
Turbo and wastegate blankets on, downpipe wrapped.
Radiator installed for (what better be) the last time, hoses hooked up.
Decided on location for oil cooler, should work very well. Still need to make brackets. Drilled holes in bumper to get more airflow to front heat exchangers.
Power steering is now 100% connected.

Turbo guard has been replaced with a finer mesh screen after this picture was taken:

I should be posting more pictures sometime this weekend or Monday.

I've already spent a lot of time working on the Mustang as well, mostly replacing switches and working on electrical problems. Still more work to be done but it's gradually getting to a better place. I need to replace the driver's door lock actuator ASAP because right now it's seized open and I can't lock the car... Waiting on an ignition timing light which should come in the mail today because the car runs pig rich and I'm pretty sure timing is way off/retarded.

Honestly irritates me a lot that the Mustang arrived with a laundry list of issues, considering NONE of them were mentioned on the ad. Hell, the ad headline mentioned "AM/FM/CD Player" and the radio was dead. While I intend to do work/mods on the Mustang later on, I did not buy it with the idea of having to do so much work on it right out of the gate, expected it to be in much better functional condition.
The following users liked this post:
DaX
Old 07-22-2023, 01:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It's 105 degrees outside and the AC compressor in the Mustang died right as I was pulling into my driveway yesterday, so that'll be a priority to fix. I also have some parts in so I can replace the smog pump with an idler pulley and eliminate that system, as well as the EGR valve which I'm willing to wager is foul with carbon at the moment. All that emissions bullshit will be removed. Also working on a DIY smoke machine that I can use to find vacuum leaks, which I'm positive this car has at least one possibly several.

Made fairly major progress today with Civic wiring. Alarm components have been placed where the OEM SRS computer normally goes, wires are ran to most of their locations. SPAL relay wired in. Boost solenoid lines ran, all the vacuum lines connected.
All intercooler piping is now connected, BOV installed. There's one pipe I'm going to shorten to get better bumper clearance. Miraculously, the fog lights fit - I spent a lot of time getting optimal placement with the intercooler/piping and all the surrounding components to try and leave room open for the fogs.
I also have enough room between my intercooler and core support to mount my oil cooler, which I have resting there now. Still need to make brackets, but the lines are already ran and the placement should be ideal. Definitely a lot going on in the front end of this car.

All of the wiring is coming together nicely so far. Relays, plugs, etc are all tucked and routed in what I consider good locations.
I think this EG having Fog lights plus the turbo piping and all the heat exchangers including the tucked AC condenser and oil cooler make it a very rare combination. I'm pretty proud and happy with how that's come together, hopefully it performs well and does what it needs to do.

Still much more to do and I'm extremely tired of all the car work on both vehicles, but the only way out is through. Gotta get it all done.
The following 2 users liked this post by Chance EG:
Old 07-22-2023, 02:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It is finally coming together. Those are the best moments. Even better when it fires rite up with no issues.

Just a couple thing which you may already know about. Im hoping the way your wiring is ran, isnt the finished product. Id suggest, bundling the wires together, for each item being wired, with electrical tape every six inches. Then in some kind of wire loom or sleeving. Instead of wires just streched across with no protection. Again, you prolly werent done yet. Just one thing i noticed. The other is the fmic braced up against the traction bar. Thatll definitely be an issue in the future

Old 07-22-2023, 03:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

Man I really want you to put a filter on that turbo
Old 07-22-2023, 06:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It is finally coming together. Those are the best moments. Even better when it fires rite up with no issues.

Just a couple thing which you may already know about. Im hoping the way your wiring is ran, isnt the finished product. Id suggest, bundling the wires together, for each item being wired, with electrical tape every six inches. Then in some kind of wire loom or sleeving. Instead of wires just streched across with no protection. Again, you prolly werent done yet. Just one thing i noticed. The other is the fmic braced up against the traction bar. Thatll definitely be an issue in the future
Thank you - And yeah all the wiring will be loomed, tied off, etc before final assembly. I'm most likely going to leave a lot of things loose and exposed for the first startup/idle until I have at least a rough idea that everything is working. The FMIC also isn't touching the traction bar, it's not even close to it, probably just the angle of the photos.

Originally Posted by Stopsign32v
Man I really want you to put a filter on that turbo
I'd have liked to run a proper intake as well, but it's literally not possible with this manifold. I've switched to a Turboguard with a tighter mesh screen than the one that's pictured above.
Old 07-23-2023, 02:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Duh, yea i can see the clearance in the one pic haha
Old 07-23-2023, 02:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

3 mentions of new turbo guard but no pic.
Old 07-23-2023, 02:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Duh, yea i can see the clearance in the one pic haha
I realized this morning you may have meant the IC piping on the hot side, in which case you're right, but I don't think I'll be able to improve that until I have completely new IC piping made specifically for this car. I'll just have to keep an eye on it, there's a small amount of clearance so we'll see.

Originally Posted by Chrisfrom1986
3 mentions of new turbo guard but no pic.
If I remember to take a picture of it next time I'm in the garage I will, just for you.
Old 07-24-2023, 03:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Old 08-05-2023, 08:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Chance EG
I read a lot of very good things about Arashi turbo, and almost no bad when I was researching them last year - They're very popular as replacement or upgrade turbos for Subarus and Evos. Plus they look too cool to pass up.
I have a gauge to monitor oil pressure, if anything I'm anticipating to have too high pressure with this pump.

Time will answer all questions, these all (should) be good quality parts but don't have as much experience behind them to back them up. As long as (knock on wood) the engine doesn't grenade itself within the first couple months of the car running I can deal with any issues. If it pops during tuning or the first few pulls then yeah I'll be kind of bummed out lol.
I have been running a Arashi 20G DBB on 09 Subaru WRX for 7K miles, not complaints about it. Car pushed down 410AWHP/400Tq @ 21 psi on E85.
Old 09-04-2023, 06:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 257 Likes on 225 Posts

Did you give up?
Old 09-04-2023, 07:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Pepe14
Did you give up?
I'll be back at it soon. Had to focus on other things for awhile.

9/11 Edit: I am not abandoning this project, but I've been forced to slow down while dealing with other things in life and work, which has become far more demanding. I'm unsure when things will wean out.

I'd also be lying if I didn't admit that I've lost a lot of motivation in the car and grown a bit resentful. It will be completed, though.

Last edited by Chance EG; 09-11-2023 at 02:19 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Old 09-19-2023, 11:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Cut a couple simple straight brackets to mount the oil cooler on, and got the lines terminated. Engine is filled with break in oil. Cooling system has been filled.

I've decided to omit and delay some other plans and perfectionist-esque tasks that I had lined up in the interest of just finally getting this car started and moving. I have some ECU wiring to do, wire in the powertune, the meth kit, get what's needed of the interior back in, and then I should be ready for first start.

Ideally I should be able to get this done over the next week or two, then contact Jeff Evans for an etune and first startup. Still extremely difficult to find time for this lately.

Not sure why the intercooler is crooked now, unless it was before and I didn't notice. I need to remake those brackets sometime in the future anyway, for now it'll be fine. Edit: I'm using the wrong hole on the bracket I think.

Last edited by Chance EG; 09-19-2023 at 11:26 AM.
Old 09-19-2023, 07:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 810 Likes on 750 Posts

You need to flip that oil cooler over so that the inlet and outlet are on the TOP... it will not work like you have it currently mounted.
Old 09-19-2023, 08:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

That's how it's staying for now. It's not ideal but I'm not going to blow the engine because of it.

Quick Reply: Chance EG Build Thread - Restomod With Arashi Turbo, Tucked AC, Etc