Notices

Ceramic Ball Bearing Upgrade for Turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 01:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ceramic Ball Bearing Upgrade for Turbo?

I went to Animal House Racing this past weekend to make a dyno appointment for my
turbo crx. The owner was very knowledgeable and professional , the dyno (2wd/4wd) is a Dynapack which mounts to the hubs.

Setup
z6 Vitara Build
Ported Head
ARP Head Bolts
Stock Cam
Zex Valvetrain
Tubular Manifold
t3/t4 50 trim
450 DSM injectors -->waiting on 880 to go E85
EMS - Chrome Pro
2.5 inch DP

Shooting for 300whp on pump

Ralph (owner) was ready to do some testing on a precision turbo with Animal House Racing "Ceramic Bearings" in it.

I'm thinking about purchasing a GT30 BB turbo with the upgraded Ceramic Bearings.

Has anyone had experience with upgraded bearings in their turbo?

I snaped a picture of his car on the new dynapack. Just wanted to share these pics with you guys, car
looks sick and sounds amazing. Can't wait to see what numbers it's going to put down.
Old 01-23-2008, 01:51 PM
HT White Ops

Default Re: Ceramic Ball Bearing Upgrade for Turbo? (Just2Fast)

Seems like someone is trying to advertise the company.
Old 01-23-2008, 02:45 PM
Man U FTW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For your power goal, changing to the GT30r isn't going to amount to anything other than a lighter wallet. Seeing as bigger must be better (judging by the hacksaw'd bumper and ugly as sin IC) you may as well do it. From what i can gather, you probably do a lot of things that dont make a lick of sense.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SD_Lurker &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Seems like someone is trying to advertise the company. </TD></TR></TABLE>

not anymore...
Old 01-23-2008, 04:55 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts
Default Re: (Schister66)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Just2Fast &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I went to Animal House Racing this past weekend to make a dyno appointment for my
turbo crx. The owner was very knowledgeable and professional , the dyno (2wd/4wd) is a Dynapack which mounts to the hubs.

Setup
z6 Vitara Build
Ported Head
ARP Head Bolts
Stock Cam
Zex Valvetrain
Tubular Manifold
t3/t4 50 trim
450 DSM injectors --&gt;waiting on 880 to go E85
EMS - Chrome Pro
2.5 inch DP

Shooting for 300whp on pump

Ralph (owner) was ready to do some testing on a precision turbo with Animal House Racing "Ceramic Bearings" in it.

I'm thinking about purchasing a GT30 BB turbo with the upgraded Ceramic Bearings.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Heh. I love it. "Animal Racing Ceramic Bearings"
Ceramic Bearings have been around since about 1989. Turbonetics used to use it as a marketing tool to show that the bearings would help "spool". Which they did, until the bearings disintegrated in the cartridge.

Garrett themselves have upgraded cartridges for steel ball-bearings that work with the housings of your current turbo. Will it make a difference in power? NO PROMISES. Will it change "spool up" significantly? NO. Not without the wheel design change of the GT-R series.

GT30Rs come with STEEL ball-bearings, but it doesn't change anything in terms of your HP goal. As Schister66 said, you'll have some weight savings from it, but it'll be from your wallet more than anything else.
Old 01-23-2008, 05:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Schister66 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">For your power goal, changing to the GT30r isn't going to amount to anything other than a lighter wallet. Seeing as bigger must be better (judging by the hacksaw'd bumper and ugly as sin IC) you may as well do it. From what i can gather, you probably do a lot of things that dont make a lick of sense.

not anymore...</TD></TR></TABLE>

What I do with my money is no concern to you. I came here looking for technical info, not to get bashed for a car that I don't even own. You must be one of those people that judges a book by it's cover.

I also stated that I would like to attain 300 whp on pump, which could be done with the t3/t4 I already own. The Block is mildly built it can very well take the punishment of 400 + hp. This has been proven by a few d-series setups similar to mine. I will take my car to the track and run race gas with the gt30. Various members have had very good results using the GT30 turbo on their turdo d-series engines. Their average spool was in the 5500 to 5800 rpm range. If there is a way to increase spool and still make a good amount of HP, then why not do it?

I simply added the contact info for anyone that is looking for a dyno facility in the tristate area.

Re TheShodan

Thank you for that informative post. At least someone on HT has something to contribute. If we all listened to people like Schister66 , we would still be running AFC hacks, T3 turbos. and FMU's.

Old 01-23-2008, 08:09 PM
Man U FTW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (Just2Fast)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Just2Fast &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Thank you for that informative post. At least someone on HT has something to contribute. If we all listened to people like Schister66 , we would still be running AFC hacks, T3 turbos. and FMU's.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Apparently you dont come around this forum often enough and if you want to keep making comments like that, you're not going to have a good time around here. It does get a little old trying to explain to people why picking a ball-bearing turbo that is obviously bad for their goals IS actually bad for their goals. Its a great turbo if used properly, but many people dont use them the way they're intended and have results that are well shy of what is possible. In short, i'm trying to save you a few bucks that you dont need to spend...
Old 01-24-2008, 08:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Just2Fast &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Thank you for that informative post. At least someone on HT has something to contribute. If we all listened to people like Schister66 , we would still be running AFC hacks, T3 turbos. and FMU's.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

LOL! Quote of the year

Schister66
Old 01-24-2008, 09:36 AM

Default Re: (93CX)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Just2Fast &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Thank you for that informative post. At least someone on HT has something to contribute. If we all listened to people like Schister66 , we would still be running AFC hacks, T3 turbos. and FMU's.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 93CX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

LOL! Quote of the year

Schister66 </TD></TR></TABLE>

x2 that's funny

Old 01-24-2008, 10:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Just2Fast &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

If we all listened to people like Schister66 , we would still be running AFC hacks, T3 turbos. and FMU's.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

What??????,Apparently you don't come on the force induction thread very often.I'am not kissing no ones ***,or taking sides.But for every problem I've had,or advice these people (Schister66,TheShodan,Turbogixxer,Project dc2,and so forth)has helped me out.As far as the gt30r I think you're wasting your $$$.If I'am correct the 50trim can handle up to 300++hp on pump gas with no problem.Spool up be quiet nice also.I sweare ball bearing turbos is a bandwagon thing now days.
Old 01-24-2008, 10:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Alright guys , I would like an explanation to why the GT30R would not be a good turbo?

I totally agree that the gt30R would be pointless for DD on the SOHC.
That is why the T3/t4 is the daily turbo.

The GT30R would only be used on the track. And will have a future home on a K series crx.

The current crx will have a 3in DP ,880's, and slicks at the track.
I chose the turbo because it would be able to achieve more than 400 + hp on the sohc.

If there is another turbo that will achieve these goals and will also be a good combination on a 2.0 K, then tell me which one?

My question is not whether my car can use this turbo as a DD, but will upgraded bearings provide a better spool on the turbo?
Old 01-24-2008, 11:17 AM
i ♥ snails

are all t3/t4's created equal? which one do you have?
Old 01-24-2008, 11:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (quicksilver1689)

older turbonetics turbo t3/t4 50 trim .63 ar