Catch Can Tech

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2016, 10:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Catch Can Tech

A tech thread on ht!

So I am using the Endyn catch can, back of block fittings. Just a breather on the VC for now.

I'm considering adding two plugs on the front of the valve cover as well and teeing them in, will this work well vs two cans which seems to be how it's usually done? Want to make sure I'm safe for boost and not going to overflow.

I'm considering eliminating the drain back as I don't want it mixing with my oil, not sure how I'm going to go about that though, suggestions welcome.

I also am planning on adding an electrical vacuum pump to aid in ring seal and have it tee'd into my brake booster with perhaps an additional vacuum tank.. I'm eventually going to be rallying this car, so lots of two footing and I don't ever want to run out of brakes while on the throttle especially when I'm boostin'.

I'm worried about sucking oil into my pump though..

I'm hoping for some insight / feedback from the wise!
Old 11-05-2016, 11:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Catch Can Tech

Im happy with my non drainback system from B&r off my valve cover, since you already have block fittings you may just get a different non drainback can or just plug the return. IMO other methods are just hassle and completely unnecessary. drainbacks are not as bad as some ppl make it out to be the water bassically burns off once its returned to the engine

it can get expensive doing the valve cover depending on local priced for welding.

which manifold are you using? you may have to run the plugs from the back of the VC
Old 11-06-2016, 04:06 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

To each. I'm running a drainback system, and it's perfectly fine. no contaminants. But some people can't stand it, others don't mind.
Old 11-06-2016, 05:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I was planning on using two of the same -10 AN fuel cell bulkheads that I'm using for my turbo drain, I would just have to drill the holes and put them in, no welding needed.

I read the big catch can tech thread and the posters' experience said drain back was yucky. I want to keep it clean as possible inside, dd for now and eventually rally car, so driven hard lots, definitely no 12 secondso at a time and that's it.

Catch can is in and drain back is on for now as that's how it's configured stock. Using the breather on the top (no emissions here)

Still need to block off my valve cover hole for the pcv, right now it's in there (new pcv valve that came with can) but it'll get plugged ASAP and a breather filter put on the other vac line (or I'll plug it maybe) and will also have to plug my intake pipe as it has the fitting..

Do I have to worry about having the pcv valve hooked up temporarily? I am FI obv, it should block any boost.. only temporary, want to be able to start it and move it (maybe not even go into boost so that'd be fine) until I can get it all done 100%
Old 11-06-2016, 05:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Also, any thoughts / suggestions on running/engineering a vacuum pump setup?

Safe to tee my VC into the same catch can? If I have drain back I don't see why there'd be an problem? But if I didn't maybe it'd fill faster? Though it seems like the two front of VC ports are nicely baffled.

Ideally (from what I've read) it seems like upto 5 inches at low to 15 inches at high load max is ideal for ring seal, no higher though. I also would want to use the vacuum pump to prime a second vacuum canister for my brakes as well as my brakes.

Ideally I'd want all of the vacuum directed toward the brakes/second brake cannister with 5 to 15 inches diverted to sucking on the catch can?

If I do run a pump, should I suck from the top (valve cover) or bottom (block)? Or BOTH? Seems like sucking from the bottom may be better for ring seal?

Input please! I really want to make this best as possible this will be used for racing.
Old 11-06-2016, 09:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Also, I reversed the pass/driver side hook ups should this matter at ALL? I wouldn't think so
Old 11-06-2016, 09:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Also, I reversed the pass/driver side hook ups should this matter at ALL? I wouldn't think so but...!