Notices

Catch Can Questions...

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2013, 10:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Catch Can Questions...

Few questions about placement for putting ventilation lines on the valve cover.

During my last track event my Moroso can overflowed. I currently have two -12 lines from the backside of the block to the can with also a -6 line returning to the pan. The valve cover nipple went into a check valve on the intake. So the valve cover would not get any ventilation under boost. The overflow happened at an uphill turn, so I believe oil was on the backside of the block and just got pushed out. During the event, I tapped the moroso can with a 1/8npt nipple, and ran the stock valve cover nipple to the can. The problem seemed to go away for the most part.

I'm building a bigger can and adding some bigger lines to the vc just for a little peace of mind/security.

So my question, should lines go to the front or back. The backside of the vc is higher, so to me it would make sense to put them there. But under acceleration the oil gets thrown to back; vice versa with braking. I've seen setups with them in the front and/or in the back. Just wondering what works the best and why.

Heres a pic of the current setup:

This was before I tapped the can with the 1/8 nipple
Attached Images  
Old 01-04-2013, 10:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Catch Can Questions...

The front of the valve cover because of the baffling. I'm not a fan of a drain back but everyone has their own preference. The rear of the valve cover could be used if modified with a baffle like the front.

I have two lines from valve cover to a vented can, vc nipple shaved and plugged and the stock box removed and plugged.

Keep it simple.
Old 01-04-2013, 10:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ive been pondering about this myself. your different though you removed the black box. vs. where I think leaving the black box and put 2 open ports on the vc should be plenty of ventalation.

its a debated topic. sounds like youre doing it right tho and the last step is a drain back
Old 01-05-2013, 01:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 71 Likes on 69 Posts

Just curious... Why would you put a tube hose on your valve cover to your charge pipe??? You are putting boost into the crankcase helping it blow oil out of the engine...
Old 01-05-2013, 03:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Maxcapacity
Just curious... Why would you put a tube hose on your valve cover to your charge pipe??? You are putting boost into the crankcase helping it blow oil out of the engine...
Ive seen that to no pcv valve so boost into head,,,,,
Old 01-05-2013, 05:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I would have to say that there's probably no need to put more hoses on your valve cover and pointless building a larger catch can.. Simply plug the hose adaptor off on your charge pipe that you have your valve cover hose feeding and put the hose from the valve cover to your catch can. The other hose to feed your catch can would come from the top nipple of the factory catch can on the backside of the engine block, considering deleting the pcv valve.. There u should have no over-flowing catch can of oil.... looking at your setup easily gives away why your catch can filled with oil due to you building boost inside the crank case.. And your question about which side to mount hoses from front or back? - the back side is the proper way from my thought of theory, thinking that - how many g's does your car make in accelleration to throw oil backwards in to your hoses when really theres not that much oil being splashed around on the top of the head anyways??.. g's/inertia = probably f-all... How-ever, having your hoses on the front of your valve cover, I could see it splashing into your hoses due to small oil pools in the head from hard braking producing more inertia to throw oil forward than your cars accelleration inertia throwing it backwards..... BTW: Nice topmount.. looks hella clean.
Old 01-05-2013, 05:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

My Bad... over looked in your write up there is a one way valve on your hose from valve cover to intake charge..make sure that check valve is not sticking....
Old 01-07-2013, 07:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Maxcapacity
My Bad... over looked in your write up there is a one way valve on your hose from valve cover to intake charge..make sure that check valve is not sticking....
Thanks for the comments. I may end up putting some baffles on the backside of the vc, and plumping that route.

Here is a closeup of the valve

But like I said, the hose from the vc is now just plumped into the can. With the charge pipe capped.

Just for fun, here are some pics of the build. All the turbo stuff was done last winter.