Notices

Catch can question

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2007, 03:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Catch can question

Ok, most people run their pcv system to a catch can, and then into their intake manifold.. but I was wondering, could you just run the pcv into a catch can with a filter up top mounted high and then plug the other port.. so the vapors can escape through the filter and oil doesn't find it's way into the intake manifold?
Old 09-01-2007, 04:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ummm i think u got some searching to do
Old 09-01-2007, 04:54 PM

Default Re: (tony413)

I've read "the official catch can" thread.. I realize the pcv system needs a vacuum source to open, which it obtains from the force of the intake manifold.. Just trying to think of a good way to keep contaminates out of my combustion chamber.
Old 09-01-2007, 05:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

just weld on one AN fitting get a catch can and be done.
or
get a catch can run a line from the PCV to C.can and have a vaccum source attached to the C.can from a vaccum rail
Old 09-07-2007, 04:17 PM

Default Re: (tony413)

why run that vacuum source? Here's what we did on mine. Weld 2 -10 bungs to the valve cover, then build a catch can with 2 inlets on the top. One drain back on the bottom, which runs to the back of the block where the Honda fittings spoken of in the "ultimate catch can thread" or whatever it's called, are on either side of the oil filter, and that's you're drainback. baffle the catch can between the inlets and the drainback, then make a separate chamber with only a passage on the bottom for air that has already passed through the baffles, and put a vent at the top of that separate chamber. you're done. All you're trying to do is vent crankcase pressure right? so why use vacuum? seal off that port on the manifold and the PCV port on the valve cover, and you're good. Although, if you get a stickler who is keen when passing emissions, you will fail, just so you know.
Old 09-07-2007, 04:53 PM

Default Re: (i hate import cars)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by i hate import cars &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">why run that vacuum source? Here's what we did on mine. Weld 2 -10 bungs to the valve cover, then build a catch can with 2 inlets on the top. One drain back on the bottom, which runs to the back of the block where the Honda fittings spoken of in the "ultimate catch can thread" or whatever it's called, are on either side of the oil filter, and that's you're drainback. baffle the catch can between the inlets and the drainback, then make a separate chamber with only a passage on the bottom for air that has already passed through the baffles, and put a vent at the top of that separate chamber. you're done. All you're trying to do is vent crankcase pressure right? so why use vacuum? seal off that port on the manifold and the PCV port on the valve cover, and you're good. Although, if you get a stickler who is keen when passing emissions, you will fail, just so you know. </TD></TR></TABLE>