Notices

Strange problem with head gasket wile boosting need some help please.

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2007, 12:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange problem with head gasket wile boosting need some help please.

I have a 1994 civic ex 1.6 sohc turbo. I have a t3/t04 turbo pushing 9psi of boost. It made 205 horse power at 155 foot pounds of torque with an automatic. I am running walbro 255 fuel pump rc 440 injectors and apex vafc2. Car runs about 12.7 12.8 not bad for setup. The problems I have are the first time I boosted the car the motor had 175.000 miles on it and has never been over heated, the stock head gasket lasted with the stock used head bolts for about 2 months, So I replaced the head gasket and it didn’t blow at all so I kept the gasket for a wile but then my rings started leaking, plus I wanted to install a block guard, so I replaced the rings, rod bearings, main bearings, lapped the valves, Replaced the valve seals. new intake gasket new throttle body gasket, replaced the head gasket but used the same head bolts the car always had, now do you think using the stock head gasket replacement and the stock used head bolts could cause my head gasket to blow. I know when the head gasket blows because under boost my temp gauge moves, then once done boosting the gauge comes back down to normal, and the over flow for the rad is filling up. What happens is the head lifts so the hot combustion travels over the cylinder walls past the head gasket destroying the head gasket wile doing this, then into the water system around the cylinders then travels past the temp sensor causing the sensor to become extremely hot which makes the temp gauge move, then travels into the radiator filling it with air and making it extremely under productive, and forcing the water past the cap and into the radiator overflow until eventually filling it up with water and air until the cap leaks from fatigue. Please if anyone knows anything about this phenomenon feel free to post. P.S what head gasket should I use for boost.
Old 08-29-2007, 12:50 PM

ok first mistake ,never reuse the oem head bolts if u take'm of on hadas there no good anymore buy some arp head studz and get an mls head gasket like cometic ohh and good luck wit an boosted automatic ur tranny will go in the near future
Old 08-29-2007, 01:01 PM

Default Re: Strange problem with head gasket wile boosting need some help please. (turbogreencivic)

Thanks.
Old 08-29-2007, 02:20 PM

Default Re: Strange problem with head gasket wile boosting need some help please. (turbogreencivic)

Anyone Else?
Old 08-30-2007, 01:53 PM

Any one else
Old 08-30-2007, 01:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Is your car running the VAFC Hack?

Old 08-30-2007, 03:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pretty common on a SOHC. You need some ARP studs and a good tune not to lift your head under boost.

Most dont see the issue until over 250whp, but it can happen with less.

Replace the Headstuds, if your running the AFC hack keep it under 10psi, if you have a standalone pull a little timing out.

platinum.
Old 08-31-2007, 01:33 PM

Default Re: Strange problem with head gasket wile boosting need some help please. (platinum00)

Yes I am running VAFC 2, so we should retard the timing a little bite.
Old 08-31-2007, 01:35 PM

Great Information rolling through please keep posting, thanks.
Old 08-31-2007, 08:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Run the car till warm and check for a leaking gasket w/ a leakdown tester. If you need directions on this just let me know. If the gaskets bad it will leak regardless if its in boost or not. If its leaking then we know its either a tuning issue w/ timing or you need to stud the head. Did you resurface the head or at least check warpage?
Old 09-07-2007, 05:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turbogreencivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yes I am running VAFC 2, so we should retard the timing a little bite.</TD></TR></TABLE>

You cant retard ignition timing with teh VAFC. Dont change the CAM timing it will only make things worse.

If you have another method for retarding ignition timing under boost you can squeeze a little more out of the AFC Hack. Remember guys, this is a hack not a real management system. It's not the safest on your motor but it does work.

-platinum