Notices

Catch Can

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2004, 09:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Catch Can

Hi, Does anyone know if I can use this type catch can
in this type setup? or do i need that type of catch can? Thanks for your time.
Old 12-09-2004, 12:40 AM
TSPeed Factory

Default Re: Catch Can (XBoostedAccordX)

i don't see a difference. either will work i guess.
Old 12-09-2004, 02:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Catch Can (AzntaggeR)

Yes you can. You'll probably have to buy more hose for that top setup though .

Phil
Old 12-09-2004, 02:59 PM

Default Re: Catch Can (hondaguyef)

ok thanks everyone . i will try it tomorrow. I just didnt want to hurt the car.
Old 12-09-2004, 05:27 PM

is it ok that my catch can doesnt have a breather filter like the one in the diagram?
Old 12-09-2004, 05:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by XBoostedAccordX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">is it ok that my catch can doesnt have a breather filter like the one in the diagram?</TD></TR></TABLE>yeah, it's okay, I think it's just for illustration.

I have one exactly like the top pic. I haven't put it back on since I went turbo though....just too lazy
Old 12-09-2004, 05:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This catchcan is missing 2 very important things ---
1 it probably isn't internally baffled.
2 Filter breather on the top

If you decided to hook each port on that catchcan to the valve cover and PCV line that you would get absolutely 0 ventilation.... bad idea.

Just call summit and get a Moroso.
Old 12-09-2004, 05:39 PM

Default Re: Catch Can (02SilverSiHB)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 02SilverSiHB &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yeah, it's okay, I think it's just for illustration.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Where does all the pressure go?
Old 12-09-2004, 05:40 PM

Default Re: Catch Can (dasher)

The vapors have no problem venting themselves with a free flowing ventilation system. Here is the best way to do it for an open catchcan setup.

1) remove the breather black box and pcv line and seal the hole with a freeze plug or a piece of aluminum and liquid aluminum epoxy from devcon. If you are using the stock IM than you need to seal the PCV port on th bottom of the IM.

2) Use a 14mm allen (snap-on) to remove the two plugs on the back of the block.

3) Screw in the Honda fitting listed in each port using the washer. Both part#s shown in picture.

4) Run 2 High temp Hoses to the baffled Moroso catchcan. You will need to weld/epoxy in a 2nd port. Place the catchcan in the highest position you can. Mine screws in like stock with 2 10mm bolts here.

5) Optional... drainback the catchcan back to the top of the oil, preferably in the front. Otherwise periodically drain your catchcan manually.

6) Place a filter on the valve cover breather. Better yet, open up a 2nd port in the front of the valve cover with a 2nd filter for increased ventilation.

done
Old 12-09-2004, 05:41 PM

yea, thats why i was confused on how to install it. it didnt come with instructions. i searched around and that looked like an easy option.
Old 12-09-2004, 05:45 PM

good lord dasher that sounds like a lot of work! ill have to see how hard that would be
Old 12-09-2004, 05:48 PM

If you are lazy and don't want a block which is ventilated as well you can simply connect the pcv line to the single port on the catchcan, leave the filter on top, and place a filter on your valve cover.

Old 12-09-2004, 07:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I did a How-To on a catch can on the SRT forum. Its a different car, but the principal is the same.

Be carefull, that clear hose thats included in that kit maybe the kind that gets real soft in hot situations. It could collapse under the vacuum. The regular fuel hose is best. Especially with all the heat of a turbo motor.

Heres how much I got out of the PCV after about 600 miles.

About 4 tablespoons worth

Old 12-09-2004, 08:01 PM

Default Re: Catch Can (Westrock2000)

how vital is a catch can on a boosted car
Old 12-09-2004, 08:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

my setup is pcv valve ---&gt; catch can with no breathers ---&gt; IM

as for breather valve, i just run it open.. been doing so for past 20k miles.. breather filters may get clogged and lead to more problems.
Old 12-09-2004, 09:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Catch Can (Westrock2000)

From personal experience, I strongly discourage anyone from using a pneumatic air filter for a catch can. Before I got my Moroso, I had 2 Campbell Hausfeld filters almost exactly like the one in the picture above. One for the valve cover breather, and one for the pcv. Everything seemed fine during the summer months, but as the weather got colder, the oil being collected got water in it. I noticed that the o-rings on the filters weren't sealing properly, and the rubber seal on the bottom with the drain valve was distorted. So, I figured this was happening because the pneumatic filters I was using weren't the mini ones that I read about other people using. The larger filters are locked in place by pushing in and turning, sort of like a child proof pill bottle, but the mini filters are threaded in place, and have something like a tire valve on the bottom with 1/8 NPT threads that you press in to drain. So, I switched to the mini filters, and used female brass cap fittings on the bottom to make sure it was properly sealed. The next day I drove for 4 hours (winter), but didn't check it until another day later when my friend was at work, and I was at the grocery store. The one spliced inbetween the pcv line was completely filled with water, and I could not unscrew the cup to empty it. I went into the grocery store and bought one of those rubber jar openers, but still couldn't get the thing off. I remembered that I had a 1/2" wrench for my Hallman boost controller, and hoped that the brass fitting on the bottom was 1/2". It was! Great! Now all I had to do was remove the brass fitting, and push in the valve to drain it. Unfortunately, the water/synthetic oil/crankcase vapor fluid, plus the combination of heat and freezing cold weather made the plastic "catch can" extremely brittle, and the entire bottom of the filter snapped off with hardly any force. Luckily, I had a Swiss army knife and returned the car to stock.

It sucked really bad having to do this in freezing cold weather in a parking lot without tools. I should have done it right the first time. All the nickle and diming added up to more than the cost of a Moroso setup that I have now. Removing the plugs in the back of the block is a bitch, but I couldn't be happier now that I have it. Well, aside from that nasty smell.
Old 12-10-2004, 06:01 AM

Default Re: Catch Can (B16A Grenade)

i found another DIY, does this one look ok? b16g.. is this the type of filter you had?

http://www.vancouverpreludeclu...ber=1
Old 12-10-2004, 09:31 AM

Default Re: Catch Can (fafsa)

"If you're lazy, broke, and don't care about emissions you could just remove the PCV valve and route the hose out of or underneath the car and put a filter on the valve cover."

does this basicly do the same princple? i think im going to do this...
Old 12-10-2004, 09:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Catch Can (fafsa)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fafsa &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
i found another DIY, does this one look ok? b16g.. is this the type of filter you had?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes, that's the second kind I used. They sell these at Wal Mart for $13. Notice the warning label on the side of it telling you not to use it with synthetic oil, etc. The first 2 I used were CH part number PA2121, which sell for $20.
Old 12-10-2004, 10:25 AM

Default Re: Catch Can (slowredhybrid)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by slowredhybrid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">"If you're lazy, broke, and don't care about emissions you could just remove the PCV valve and route the hose out of or underneath the car and put a filter on the valve cover."

does this basicly do the same princple? i think im going to do this...</TD></TR></TABLE>

can i just do this?
Old 12-13-2004, 06:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Catch Can (slowredhybrid)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by slowredhybrid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

can i just do this?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well you won't have a vacuum pulling oil through the PCV valve, which will make it useless. You want the vacuum there, just not the innevitable other stuff it pulls out.