Cartech issues and lowered boost pressures

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2001, 05:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cartech issues and lowered boost pressures

Originally posted on the hostboard. Just looking for more perspectives.

I've been talking with Holden for a day or so about this and he suggested posting this issue here so here goes: I've had a vacuum leak for some time. The other day G3-teg and I were poking around trying to eliminate it. I've also had a problem of not seeing the 9 lbs of boost I should see with the stepper pulley. I figured since I don't have a cat and a fairly free flowing exhaust (DC 4-2-1 and GReddy PE) that I would see lower manifold pressures.
Anyhoo we tracked the leak down to the cartech. My bleeder valve was all the way open. I would see max fp's of around 82 or so and static will not go lower than 56. Just for the hell of it we screwed the bleeder valve closed and took her for another test drive. HOLY CRAP!!!!!!!! Instead of the 7.5 lbs I was seeing previous to this tweek I'm seeing 9-10 lbs now and what a difference!! The only problem with that is that I'm also seeing fp's of 98 with 310 injectors.

I could care less about the gas mileage. That's not the issue. I just want lower fp's. I have kicked the idea of just removing the stock FPR and just using the cartech but am not totally convinced that will work well enough to check out for now.

My timing is at 14 and the BTC is set on 1 click. Tip in detonation is usually all I see unless I'm in 5th on a fairly steep hill or something. A down shift usually takes care of it. I think the level of timing and little retard I am using (with very little detonation) can only be attributed to the state of tune of the motor and I thank Donny (Import Tuner on this very board) for that. Many of you are using 5-6 clicks on the BTC right?

Sorry for the long post. Just need to have some people on here kick around some ideas on lowering static pressures. Like I said earlier, I can put up with bad gas mileage to have 10lbs of boost. I just don't want to stress the fuel system if I don't have to. Thanks fellas.

Zach

Old 07-24-2001, 06:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Cartech issues and lowered boost pressures (fastfour)

98 psi of FP with 310's at 10 psi should be fine. If you lower it, you might end up with some detonation.
Old 07-24-2001, 10:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Cartech issues and lowered boost pressures (TurboInteg95)

If that's the case, why do I have 33% of fuel taken out in spots above 4000 with the AFC?