Notices

car wont start when hot??

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 03:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default car wont start when hot??

Hey guys i am having a problem, sorry if this is not the correct forum...My car starts fine when it is cold and when it heats up to operating temp if i turn it off than it will not start back up until it cools off again. What could be the problem? My tech is thinking either the main relay or it is a pickup on the distributer going bad and because my AEM is set up to need to see 3 clean signals before the car starts that it may not be getting these clean signals because a pickup on the distributer is bad(i have individual coils). Also he thinks that something in the AEM just has to be changed maybe. Any help at all is golden thanks a lot.
Old 03-18-2008, 04:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: car wont start when hot?? (lambertincorp)

Main relay, main relay, main relay!!! To make sure, if it happens again, check to see if ur fuel pump primes and listen to hear the fuel relay CLICK when u turn the key to the ON position. If it is broken, u can just resolder it or buy a new one.
Old 03-18-2008, 05:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: car wont start when hot?? (JasonST)

Did this happen after a tune, or just out of the blue?
Old 03-18-2008, 06:05 PM

Default Re: car wont start when hot?? (JasonST)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JasonST &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Main relay, main relay, main relay!!! To make sure, if it happens again, check to see if ur fuel pump primes and listen to hear the fuel relay CLICK when u turn the key to the ON position. If it is broken, u can just resolder it or buy a new one.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Exact same thing happened in my ef. All you had to do was tap the main relay with a screw driver and the fuel pump would prime. And it did only happen when the engine/ outside temp was hot
Old 03-18-2008, 09:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i've seen the same problems caused by a going bad ignitor or coil too.
Old 03-19-2008, 09:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (Garage 808 Hatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Garage 808 Hatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i've seen the same problems caused by a going bad ignitor or coil too.</TD></TR></TABLE>
x2........ Looks like u got a bit of diagnosing to do. Check to see what it is you're not getting, spark or fuel. Then go from there.
Old 03-19-2008, 11:42 AM

Default Re: (JasonST)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Garage 808 Hatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i've seen the same problems caused by a going bad ignitor or coil too.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i will have to check that each coil has its own ignitor.

i will change the main relay and see if that makes a difference.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by coneheadsracing &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Did this happen after a tune, or just out of the blue? </TD></TR></TABLE>

out of the blue

out of the blue<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JasonST &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Main relay, main relay, main relay!!! To make sure, if it happens again, check to see if ur fuel pump primes and listen to hear the fuel relay CLICK when u turn the key to the ON position. If it is broken, u can just resolder it or buy a new one.</TD></TR></TABLE>

the fuel pump primes every time without hesitation i have a fuel pressure guage to make sure
Old 03-19-2008, 12:07 PM

i just fixed a nissan with this problem. turns out to be a bad dist. even got a new one from dist king online and same problem.. then got one from the dealer and car works fine.
Old 03-19-2008, 12:15 PM

Default Re: car wont start when hot?? (97grnrs)

thanks bro
Old 03-19-2008, 01:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

This used to happen to a 93 Chevy S-10 I used to have. The solenoid that pushes the sprocket out in the starter used to get so hot, that the contacts will come loose or not make good contact. After the engine was cool enough, the truck would start without hesitation. I know they are 2 different types of cars but it's worth taking a look.
Old 03-19-2008, 04:30 PM

Default Re: car wont start when hot?? (Evilparadize)

i didnt even think of that. is it cranking but not starting or not even cranking?
Old 03-19-2008, 06:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You need more cranking fuel in that temperature range that you are having a problem starting. Usually you need more cranking fuel when it is cold and start taking away cranking fuel as it gets hot but you always need more fuel than what the base fuel map has during cranking no matter what the engine temperature is.
Old 03-19-2008, 07:24 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by PHDZINE &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You need more cranking fuel in that temperature range that you are having a problem starting. Usually you need more cranking fuel when it is cold and start taking away cranking fuel as it gets hot but you always need more fuel than what the base fuel map has during cranking no matter what the engine temperature is.</TD></TR></TABLE>

OK i will take a look at that

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 97grnrs &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i didnt even think of that. is it cranking but not starting or not even cranking? </TD></TR></TABLE>

it cranks but will not start

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by PHDZINE &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You need more cranking fuel in that temperature range that you are having a problem starting. Usually you need more cranking fuel when it is cold and start taking away cranking fuel as it gets hot but you always need more fuel than what the base fuel map has during cranking no matter what the engine temperature is.</TD></TR></TABLE>

car was fully tuned, this problem just started it has never happened before
Old 03-19-2008, 07:40 PM

I have the same problem, the dealer said change the main relay. I did and it still did it. Si I checked, it is not getting and signal uot of the injector. Checked all grounds to. I just got a removable steering wheel and I just leave it running.
Old 03-19-2008, 08:48 PM

Default Re: car wont start when hot?? (22psicrx)

i got this same exactly problem on my supra unfortunately

twin turbo coils, aem

when the motors hot the car wont start for ****
Old 03-20-2008, 09:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
car was fully tuned, this problem just started it has never happened before</TD></TR></TABLE>

In that case...I would do try and swap the entire distributor with a working one.
Old 03-20-2008, 12:42 PM

Default Re: car wont start when hot?? (project dc2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by project dc2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i got this same exactly problem on my supra unfortunately

twin turbo coils, aem

when the motors hot the car wont start for ****
</TD></TR></TABLE>

hey how did that work out i am interested cause i am using gs 400 lexus coils?

dist is the first thing i wanna do but i want to check the sync on the aem to make sure it is the dist before i start swapping stuff out thanks for the info guys!!!

Old 03-20-2008, 04:11 PM

Default Re: car wont start when hot?? (22psicrx)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 22psicrx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I just got a removable steering wheel and I just leave it running.</TD></TR></TABLE>

ha ha Mr.Been style yo
Old 03-20-2008, 05:22 PM

Default Re: car wont start when hot?? (95jeremie)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 95jeremie &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

ha ha Mr.Been style yo </TD></TR></TABLE>

thanks for ur insight
Old 03-20-2008, 05:37 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by lambertincorp &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

hey how did that work out i am interested cause i am using gs 400 lexus coils?

dist is the first thing i wanna do but i want to check the sync on the aem to make sure it is the dist before i start swapping stuff out thanks for the info guys!!!

</TD></TR></TABLE>

hrmm i have a 1995 supra nA turned into Twin turbo model

i havent fixed it yet.

my homies at redzone performance will be wire tucking/cleaning up the engine harness for me this coming week.
Old 03-20-2008, 05:44 PM

Default Re: car wont start when hot?? (project dc2)

oh ok right on bro good luck
Old 03-22-2008, 11:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

bout to check the sync on the aem to check if the dist is the problem any other ideas on what the problem could be?