Notices

car is stalling when decelerating (jrsc/SMC+/DBS)

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2003, 02:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default car is stalling when decelerating (jrsc/SMC+/DBS)

my setup just started acting up the other day. i'm finding that every now and then, i'll be decelerating (usually in 3rd gear) and then when i go to put in the clutch, the RPMs drop all the way to zero and the car is off (obviously). this seems to happen every 5-10 mins while driving around town. i cannot make it consistently do it. i've found that a couple of times it will run really rough/idle really low right before it stalls, and other times it just quits smoothly. however, when its idling ok, it idles really smooth. i dont even know where to start looking. all suggestions are appreciated.

thanks
Old 08-20-2003, 12:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: car is stalling when decelerating (keebler65)

ttt.....would it matter that i gapped my NGK's at .038"? or is that too big? i've seen some people running .030" on many low boost FI setups.
Old 08-20-2003, 02:44 PM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i dont think gap has as much to do with it unless you feel your car missing really bad.

i had that same problem of the car stalling and idle like shiz.

i tracked my problem to the car being too rich and stalling itself out.
My solution = leaning it out a few % on my afc hack.

i have a greddy d16, afchack, 440 injectors bkr7e @ .034... hth
Old 08-20-2003, 03:02 PM

Default Re: car is stalling when decelerating (psileepR)

mine every once in a while will stall on idle and thats with HONDATA...
My tunner says.. " what do you expect" your motor is not stock. you will lose drivability when modifying your car!!!!!
Old 08-20-2003, 07:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: car is stalling when decelerating (ATgrills.com)

i'll have to try to lean it out a little at idle. i was just wondering about the plugs because when its idling and i stand in the back of my car, i can hear the exhaust sputter randomly like its missing or something however when i'm on the throttle it runs like a dream. anyways i'll mess around with it some more i guess. thanks for the replies
Old 08-20-2003, 08:16 PM

zip is selling the DBS already???? i thought it's not even out yet...

so does it really help part thorttle buckling... i think im' getting part thortle buckling with 0% correction with stock injectors on stock motor...
Old 08-20-2003, 08:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: car is stalling when decelerating (2000vsm)

If you have a beta dbs from Zip, try unplugging it. I tested one of one of those for him and I had a hard time getting not to stall. You can adjust the gain on it so mess with the settings and see what happens. You can fine a very narrow spot on the dial that will help the bucking and not cause your car to stall. He said he was going to be sending me a new version with a more narrow adjustment range.
Old 08-20-2003, 08:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: car is stalling when decelerating (CivicSoul)

check your manifold vaccum. It should be around 18"hg (inches of mercury) . should be highest on idle and slightly go up with 500rpm increase. Manifold vaccum is the strongest on decelleration. hope that somewhat helps you
Old 08-21-2003, 08:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: car is stalling when decelerating (CivicSoul)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CivicSoul &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If you have a beta dbs from Zip, try unplugging it. I tested one of one of those for him and I had a hard time getting not to stall. You can adjust the gain on it so mess with the settings and see what happens. You can fine a very narrow spot on the dial that will help the bucking and not cause your car to stall. He said he was going to be sending me a new version with a more narrow adjustment range. </TD></TR></TABLE>

this is kind of what i wanted to hear. it did start acting up only when the dbs was installed. i havent had time to find the sweet spot yet on the gain. maybe that will fix it though. i got a beta one from him a week or so ago....how old was your original one? i'm wondering if he gave me the "new" one or the "old". thanks for the reply
Old 08-21-2003, 09:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: car is stalling when decelerating (ATgrills.com)

Im having the same problem, Hondata/DSM 450's here. I actually blame the injectors, because thats the easiest thing to do I had a bottle of STP fuel treatment in my closet, poured it in and it didnt stall for a couple months.

Over the past week or so, the idle has dropped upon deceleration and hitting the clutch, almost stalled a couple times, then finally yesterday stalled. The fuel system cleaner did at least stop the stalling for a while, which leads me to believe my injectors could use a cleaning?
Old 08-22-2003, 05:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: car is stalling when decelerating (newgsrdriver)

i just raised my idle today on the throttle body and it hasnt stalled yet....i'm keeping my fingers crossed. this probably isnt the technical fix, but it seems to be working so far.