Notices

Can't raise boost!

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2003, 04:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can't raise boost!

Hows it goin fellas.
Got another ? for all of you.
We're trying to raise the boost on my buddies civic and it would only go up to 9 lbs. because it has a 9 lb. spring. ( this is a turbonetics deltagate by the way) So I talked to a local import shop and they said we need a boost controller. We get a manual boost controller and install it just like the guy showed us (vacuum to the wastegate, plug the vacuum to the turbo and tee it into the BOV vacuum line) but no matter how we crank the boost doesn't go up. The guy said that it would bypass the wastegate because that is what it does but so far it doesn't seem like it's working. My question is what else do we have to do. Do you think we need a new wastegate? Will cahnging the spring to a 12 lb. spring work and if it does will we be able to go above the 12 lbs. to say 18 lbs. with the boost controller? I don't have any idea and I'm just guessing here. Let me know what you guys think and what you have to suggest.

Thanks
Old 05-21-2003, 07:18 AM

Default Re: Can't raise boost! (SCedGTP)

Anybody?
Old 05-21-2003, 07:42 AM

the boost controller should be installed by "t"ing off the vaccuum/boost line leading to the deltagate.

from there attach the boost controller to the unused lead. the controller acts as a bleeder to let boost pressure escape into the atmosphere instead of getting to the deltagate.

the more you open/bleed the boost signal away, the greater your boost will rise.

completely closed for normal boost, wide open to blow up your motor.

make your adjustments VERY carefully, and ensure you have enough fuel to go with the boost.

good luck
Old 05-22-2003, 06:54 AM

Default Re: Can't raise boost! (Turbo E)

Thanks for the reply but when you say unused lead is that the hole on top of the wastegate next to the adjuster screw? The guy at TDM told me to plug the vacuum to the turbo and run off the vacuum that comes off the side of the wastegate. From there he said to "T" into the vacuum line that goes to the BOV. Right now there is an unused threaded hole next to the adjuster screw of the wastegate. It looks like I could screw in a threaded barbed fitting for a vacuum line though. Is this what I should try?
Old 05-22-2003, 08:42 AM
You_Get_Vapors

Also if you have the stock MAP sensor you will only see 11psi. The limit for stock MAP sensor on a Honda.
Old 05-22-2003, 09:34 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Thanks for the reply but when you say unused lead is that the hole on top of the wastegate next to the adjuster screw?</TD></TR></TABLE>

no I mean on the "T" you spliced into the vaccuum/boost line. a "T" has 3 ports. 1 in from vaccuum/boost source) , 2 out. one exit port goes to wastegate, other goes to the boost controller
my 18G turbo had no "boost" port on it so i had to use a vaccum/boost hose from the intake manifold.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The guy at TDM told me to plug the vacuum to the turbo and run off the vacuum that comes off the side of the wastegate. From there he said to "T" into the vacuum line that goes to the BOV.</TD></TR></TABLE>

thats what i did

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> Right now there is an unused threaded hole next to the adjuster screw of the wastegate. It looks like I could screw in a threaded barbed fitting for a vacuum line though. Is this what I should try?</TD></TR></TABLE>

i wouldnt. even if there's a threaded hole, it dont mean anything comes out of there.(blocked internally/ requires drilling)

DANGER! make your adjustments VERY carefully. using tiny incriments.

[ ]------------["T"]-------------[ ]
......................|
......................|
......................|
..................... 4

**ignore the periods. just for spacing purposes**
*dotted lines = vaccuum/boost hose
1-from vaccuum source
2 -vaccuum "T"
3- to wastegate actuator
4-bleeds off into atmosphere or to intake side of turbo, don't matter

Modified by Turbo E at 10:44 AM 5/22/2003

Modified by Turbo E at 10:47 AM 5/22/2003
Old 05-22-2003, 11:08 AM

Default Re: Can't raise boost! (Turbo E)

Thanks for the "illustration" man!

I understand what your saying. I've contacted a few guys and that is exactly what they told me. Thanks for the help and I'm gonna give this a shot tonight and see if we blow anything up.