Notices

Can you use nitrous pistons for turbo applications?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2004, 05:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can you use nitrous pistons for turbo applications?

I see alot of members here using 10-10.5:1 compression pistons for turbo applications. I would like to know if you are using pistons that are made for nitrous in your turbo setup.

What's the difference in nitrous and turbo pistons? Are the ringlands moved down further for turbo pistons?

Reason I ask is because I would like to go with 10:1 JE or CP Pistons but they are only for nitrous applications.

Boost pressure that would be ran is 25-27psi in my H22.
Old 12-07-2004, 08:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Can you use nitrous pistons for turbo applications? (93H22ACX)

Just because a piston is 10:1 C/R doesn't mean it is a nitrous piston. My SRP 10.5:1 are listed as turbo or nitrous use.

To answer your question, good power can be made with high C/R and turbo with good tuning.
Old 12-07-2004, 09:00 AM

Default Re: Can you use nitrous pistons for turbo applications? (RyanCivic2000)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RyanCivic2000 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Just because a piston is 10:1 C/R doesn't mean it is a nitrous piston. My SRP 10.5:1 are listed as turbo or nitrous use.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i know that. but for the H22 it does say it is for nitrous use.

JE only lists 9, 10, and 11. 9 being turbo, 10 being nitrous, 11 being NA

its the same for CP and wiseco pistons also.

Damn...so b-series have that high of compression as off the shelf pistons for turbo applications.

i called wiseco and they said for turbo pistons that are 10:1 will need to be specially made and i have to order 12 min.

Modified by 93H22ACX at 2:50 PM 12/7/2004
Old 12-12-2004, 07:07 PM

So what did weisco say? could you safely spray on their pistons @ say... 11.5:1 or won't they take it? I just assumed that since they were forged they'd easy hold 100+ h.p. of N20. Keep me posted.
Old 12-12-2004, 07:20 PM

Default Re: Can you use nitrous pistons for turbo applications? (BokChoy)

Why not run 9:1 and be done with this? There was a big stink over this a while ago, and one guy who HAD a high compression turbo setup said that low compression is beter for a large turbo on the street, how's that for straight out of the horses mouth.
Old 12-13-2004, 10:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Can you use nitrous pistons for turbo applications? (turboEGsedan)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turboEGsedan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Why not run 9:1 and be done with this? There was a big stink over this a while ago, and one guy who HAD a high compression turbo setup said that low compression is beter for a large turbo on the street, how's that for straight out of the horses mouth.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well what if I said I run high compression (10:1) and I say it's better on the street? Does that make me right? You can't go off of what "one guy" said. How's that for straight out of the horses mouth?
Old 12-13-2004, 10:16 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RyanCivic2000 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Well what if I said I run high compression (10:1) and I say it's better on the street? Does that make me right? You can't go off of what "one guy" said. How's that for straight out of the horses mouth?</TD></TR></TABLE>

That's the same as Bush saying he is the best, or Casto saying Communism is perfect and that Cuba rocks

People are more likely to encourage people to run the same thing they are running, even if they have no experience with a lower compression setup. When someone owns a high compression turbo setup, has driven a low compression turbo setup, and still recommends a low compression setup with a turbo I think that says something more than when somebody just has a high compression setup and recommends a high compression setup, or when somebody with a low compression setup recommends a low compression setup.
Old 12-13-2004, 10:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Can you use nitrous pistons for turbo applications? (turboEGsedan)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turboEGsedan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

That's the same as Bush saying he is the best, or Casto saying Communism is perfect and that Cuba rocks

People are more likely to encourage people to run the same thing they are running, even if they have no experience with a lower compression setup. When someone owns a high compression turbo setup, has driven a low compression turbo setup, and still recommends a low compression setup with a turbo I think that says something more than when somebody just has a high compression setup and recommends a high compression setup, or when somebody with a low compression setup recommends a low compression setup.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well I've run a lower compression setup as well and I still think high compression is better.

.....and Bush is better than Kerry at least.
Old 12-13-2004, 10:42 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RyanCivic2000 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Well I've run a lower compression setup as well and I still think high compression is better.

.....and Bush is better than Kerry at least. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Well I've run both and I still think lower compression is better

I just don't see what the gains are with going 10:1 or even higher. I'm running an 83MM GSR motor, 9:1 CP's, with a T3/T67 .63 A/R and a Stage V wheel. A friend of mine is running an 84.5MM ITR block with flat tops for about 10.5:1 compression and the same turbo and manifold as me and driving both cars back to back I really couldn't feel any difference at all in spool, and I couldn't tell you on power because his motor is in an 1800 pound CRX and my motor is in a 2600 pound sedan.

I'd be VERY interested to see somebody do a comparison that eliminates as many variables as possible. Same motor, same head, same cams, same intake, same manifold, same turbo, same tune, same tank of gas, same weather, same everything, and compare a few different CR's like 9:1 and 10:1.
Old 12-13-2004, 12:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 93H22ACX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I see alot of members here using 10-10.5:1 compression pistons for turbo applications. I would like to know if you are using pistons that are made for nitrous in your turbo setup.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Tony the Tiger runs 10.0:1 nitrous pistons from Arias with 12 pounds of boost.
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1027496

I suppose they can't handle as much boost as regular turbo pistons, but seem to work well if you're not planning to run too much boost.