Notices

can u take out rods/pistons without taking off the crank?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2004, 05:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default can u take out rods/pistons without taking off the crank?

i wanna inspect my rings on my pistons but dont have a cherry picker. i was thinking jacking up the car, taking off the oil pan, oil pump, ect unbolt the bolts on the rods to the crank, slide the rods out far enough so i can the rods off the pistons, than slide the pistons out? please dont flame me
Old 06-02-2004, 05:42 AM

Default Re: can u take out rods/pistons without taking off the crank? (98B00STED)

You'd have to take the head off, but yes you can take the pistons/rods out without taking off the crank.
Old 06-02-2004, 06:05 AM

Default Re: can u take out rods/pistons without taking off the crank? (98B00STED)

it can physically be done i guess, but it's gonna be tight and time consuming to line everything up just right to get to the rod bolts without pulling the main cap. and if you're gonna pull the main cap you may as well just remove the crank.
Old 06-02-2004, 06:24 AM

i would imagane that it would be about the same amount of, if not more work. i gould just see it (being under the car) and gitting all pissy and starting to throw crap.
Old 06-02-2004, 08:12 AM
SYD
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: can u take out rods/pistons without taking off the crank? (Pengo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Pengo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">it can physically be done i guess, but it's gonna be tight and time consuming to line everything up just right to get to the rod bolts without pulling the main cap. and if you're gonna pull the main cap you may as well just remove the crank. </TD></TR></TABLE>

if its the b18b like in your sig the mains wont get in the way(unless u have a girdle installed in the b18b)..the gsr would be more of a pain but ive done it with the girdle in too ..also i wouldnt attemp to remove the crank unless i am planning on emoving the complete motor(thats just me)....its very strait forward..it just takes unbolting it from an angle to clear.
Old 06-02-2004, 09:16 AM

Default Re: can u take out rods/pistons without taking off the crank? (Pengo)

if the person doesn't know what they're doing then yeah it can be a little time consuming.
Old 06-02-2004, 10:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 140 Likes on 132 Posts

yes, you could do it without taking off the head, and with the engine in the car, but its probably going to be really frustrating lying on your back with a flashlight to see everything.
You could take off the oil pan/pump assembly, then take off the rod caps. Put the piston you are working on to bottom dead center(the crank), then push up on the rod so it comes unattached from the crank. While you push the rod up, off the crank, turn the crank again so its out of the way, then the pison and rod shoud drop out.
Old 06-02-2004, 11:48 AM

thank you for the great info. and thank you guys for not flaming me. yes i have a b18b1 and yes i will probably end up pissed off and start throwing **** but what can u do if u dont have a cherry picker and would rather use the money to make horse power, not cherry picker. THANX H-T!!
Old 06-02-2004, 11:51 AM
H-T White Ops

You can get a cherry picker for a couple hundred bucks. Well worth it if you're going to use it more than once. PLus you can always sell it to somebody after you're done.
Old 06-02-2004, 12:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: can u take out rods/pistons without taking off the crank? (highschooler)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by highschooler &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yes, you could do it without taking off the head, and with the engine in the car, </TD></TR></TABLE>

u sir dont know what u saying in regards to his question

u need to take the head off regardless.

Honda motors have a lip on the bottom of the cylinders, on both sides wich will make technically impossible for a piston and rod to come from the bottom

as for his question he wants to leave crank alone and take pistons from top.. wich yes can be done.... just a lil harder on a D series since it has a main bridge cap
most B series have individial caps

Old 06-02-2004, 12:06 PM

Default Re: can u take out rods/pistons without taking off the crank? (USDM 4G VTEC)

yea i already have my head off due to my timing belt breaking and u guys told me to check my valves for bends. and because my head is already off i wanted to inspect my pistons.
Old 06-02-2004, 12:27 PM
OG triple OG

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: can u take out rods/pistons without taking off the crank? (highschooler)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by highschooler &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yes, you could do it without taking off the head, and with the engine in the car, but its probably going to be really frustrating lying on your back with a flashlight to see everything.
You could take off the oil pan/pump assembly, then take off the rod caps. Put the piston you are working on to bottom dead center(the crank), then push up on the rod so it comes unattached from the crank. While you push the rod up, off the crank, turn the crank again so its out of the way, then the pison and rod shoud drop out. </TD></TR></TABLE>

good luck getting them back in with the head on
Old 06-02-2004, 01:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Man you don't need a engine lift to get your motor out. Just drop the motor out of the bottom. I don't have any pics of how I do it, but use your imagination....it's easy.
Old 06-02-2004, 09:00 PM

Default Re: (Too_Smooth)

I also have dropped a few motors from the bottom, sometimes literally, but it's easy and can be done if careful. AND THIS IS MY 500TH POST. what do I win?
.....still waiting for reply.
Old 06-02-2004, 10:17 PM
SYD
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by highschooler &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yes, you could do it without taking off the head, and with the engine in the car, but its probably going to be really frustrating lying on your back with a flashlight to see everything.
You could take off the oil pan/pump assembly, then take off the rod caps. Put the piston you are working on to bottom dead center(the crank), then push up on the rod so it comes unattached from the crank. While you push the rod up, off the crank, turn the crank again so its out of the way, then the pison and rod shoud drop out. </TD></TR></TABLE>

hmm ...i see u have never done this before..
Old 06-02-2004, 11:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yea you havn't done this before

Yes you can do it w/o the motor out and the crank still in it isn't that bad esspecially if yo uhave a lift of really tall jackstands. Pull the head, pull the pan, pickup, windagetray, take off rod caps, pull piston through top wallah then use ring compresser to get them back in blah blah blah you know what your doing from there, dont forget to mark which one goes where

W/ a GSR it is kinda a PITA but not too bad cuz you can take the girdle and main caps off and u still have 1 and 5 along w/ the oilpump and flywheel and tranny holding the crank up

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by onetwothree &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I also have dropped a few motors from the bottom, sometimes literally, but it's easy and can be done if careful. AND THIS IS MY 500TH POST. what do I win?
.....still waiting for reply. </TD></TR></TABLE>

are you happy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!