Notices

can i just get a clutch disk and not the pressuer plate?

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2006, 08:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default can i just get a clutch disk and not the pressuer plate?

i already have an ACT clutch and i am about to have a lot more power than i do now when i dyno my car and i just wanted to know if i can just get the disk and not the pressure plate. one of my friends told me that i could and i wanted to get a second opinion.
Old 12-25-2006, 08:02 PM
E-thug

Default Re: can i just get a clutch disk and not the pressuer plate? (Speed Infliction)

yes you can.
Old 12-25-2006, 08:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: can i just get a clutch disk and not the pressuer plate? (boostismycrack)

what would you recomend for a 400whp car? i know they are rated by tq, but i don't know what that might be. maybe 300-350 tq?
Old 12-25-2006, 08:27 PM

I just got a clutch disk and had no problems at all this year. I got the ACT 6puck sprung. Held 400whp perfectly fine
Old 12-25-2006, 08:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (B18 CYA)

how did the clutch feel? was it realy hard to push in?
Old 12-26-2006, 06:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (Speed Infliction)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Speed Infliction &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">how did the clutch feel? was it realy hard to push in?</TD></TR></TABLE>

act 6 puck and xtreme pp are pretty hard to push in my h22. you get used to it.
Old 12-26-2006, 07:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (2point2)

yeah, you hear people bitching about them all the time, but its not bad.Ive been driving mine for a while now, in a few different cars.

People buy hondas and put parts into them and expect them to make power and still drive like stock.Its not going to happen.
Old 12-26-2006, 08:35 AM

Default Re: can i just get a clutch disk and not the pressuer plate? (Speed Infliction)

well the thing about puck clutches is that they are not only harsh on your own driving, but drivetrain,pressure plate and flywheel.

but you can buy just the disc.

what i stated above goes into a whole nother subject but while you guys werre on the subject of how they drive..
Old 12-26-2006, 08:37 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Speed Infliction &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> i already have an ACT clutch and i am about to have a lot more power than i do now when i dyno my car and i just wanted to know if i can just get the disk and not the pressure plate. one of my friends told me that i could and i wanted to get a second opinion.</TD></TR></TABLE>

yes you can, you do any part of it alone if you want, best to do all new but by no means necessary.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Speed Infliction &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">how did the clutch feel? was it realy hard to push in?</TD></TR></TABLE>

the pressure it takes to push the pedal will stay the same if you keep the same pressure plate.
Old 12-26-2006, 09:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Clutches are rated in TQ capacity, not hp. The ACT puck clutches are way to aggressive and will destroy the pressure plate and the flywheel. Pedal feel isn't going to change any since the pressure plate dictates pedal pressure. Your just going to have an "on/off" feeling with the puck disc. I'd HIGHLY reccomend getting either an Action clutch or an ebay clutch. The XTD units on ebay are very nice in quality and hold up quite well.

Go ahead an laugh now and tell me I am an idiot... I'm waiting...
Old 12-26-2006, 11:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: can i just get a clutch disk and not the pressuer plate? (agrn93ls)

how long do these clutchs last?
Old 12-26-2006, 11:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Speed Infliction &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">how long do these clutchs last?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Not sure if you are asking me or not. I've had mine for about 4,000 miles now. Many passes down the 1320 and its holding up just fine. Put on in my friends boosted B16 hatch and its holding up as well with no issues. Thing is, the whole clutch KIT was only $140 shipped. I feel the XTD units are nothing more then rebranded action units. They look identical and the paperwork even says "modified Action clutch"... so... I figured I would take my chances and so far I am very happy with the unit.
Old 12-26-2006, 12:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: can i just get a clutch disk and not the pressuer plate? (Hybrid93Eg)

[QUOTE=Hybrid93Eg]Clutches are rated in TQ capacity, not hp. The ACT puck clutches are way to aggressive and will destroy the pressure plate and the flywheel. [QUOTE]

that woudl be my primary concern, your clutch might be able to handle hp but pressure plate might not and result in more problems
Old 12-26-2006, 12:35 PM

Default Re: can i just get a clutch disk and not the pressuer plate? (Hybrid93Eg)

no one can predict the way a clutch is going to wear it depends on the driver and the power ect
Old 12-26-2006, 01:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: can i just get a clutch disk and not the pressuer plate? (b18sihatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by b18sihatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">no one can predict the way a clutch is going to wear it depends on the driver and the power ect</TD></TR></TABLE>

No one here predicted anything. The material used on the ACT puck clutches *IS* too harsh. It *WILL* eat the pressure plate and the flywheel. This isn't a prediction, its a statement of fact.
Old 12-26-2006, 05:53 PM

true HOWEVER. someone who is famillure with driving those clutches might be able to get it to last a little longer than someone who doesnt know how to

driving habits have alot to do with the way a clutch wears, esp what its used for how much power ect ect alot of different variables on how and why a clutch lasts for as short or long of a period as it does
Old 12-27-2006, 09:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: can i just get a clutch disk and not the pressuer plate? (b18sihatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by b18sihatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">true HOWEVER. someone who is famillure with driving those clutches might be able to get it to last a little longer than someone who doesnt know how to

driving habits have alot to do with the way a clutch wears, esp what its used for how much power ect ect alot of different variables on how and why a clutch lasts for as short or long of a period as it does</TD></TR></TABLE>

You must not understand what I am saying, or you just like to argue. Either way, let me try this one last time....

The material the pads on the ACT puck clutches is very hard. Over time, it will wear the FLYWHEEL and the PRESSURE PLATE down. It makes a groove, physically removes the metal. The disc itself remains looking "like new" while the other parts I mentioned are essentially destroyed. This isn't something that driving habits are going to resolve. Its a poor design to begin with. You are trying to argue telling me that if you know how to drive with the clutch that this process will be slowed down. Thats simply not the case. There is no "I know how to drive" method that is going to solve the problem. You have one material that is physically harder then another. Its GOING to wear the surfaces down. I guess if "knowing how to drive" involves never disengaging the clutch, then you might have a valid point. Since a clutch is designed to be disengaged and then re engaged, this isn't even a consideration.

Recap..

Driving habits don't change the fact that the material on the ACT puck clutches is TOO hard.

Since the material is harder then the flywheel and pressure plate, its going to wear the metal surfaces of both down over time.

There is nothing you can do to prevent this process... no matter what you want to believe in terms of "driving habits".