Notices

California Smog Experience?

Old 06-16-2003, 10:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default California Smog Experience?

What are people's experiences with getting a turbo smogged in California? I know that the Greddy kit is the only one with an EO, and that is without an IC. Any other successful options?

Has anyone gotten their custom setups (or maxrev/revhard/drag) through inspection in California. I know there are lots of Californians out there with turbos, what do you do?

I want to go turbo route, and would prefer to build up my own, but I wan't the car to be smog legal without having to keep a stock intake, header and exaust in my garage to swap out the turbo every two years.
Old 06-16-2003, 10:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: California Smog Experience? (rlrhett)

even with a greddy kit you'll be lucky if you can still pass visual....people do not care if you even have a carb number.... go custom...keep all your stock parts....and swap them out before smog....
Old 06-16-2003, 11:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: California Smog Experience? (rlrhett)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rlrhett &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What are people's experiences with getting a turbo smogged in California? I know that the Greddy kit is the only one with an EO, and that is without an IC. Any other successful options?

Has anyone gotten their custom setups (or maxrev/revhard/drag) through inspection in California. I know there are lots of Californians out there with turbos, what do you do?

I want to go turbo route, and would prefer to build up my own, but I wan't the car to be smog legal without having to keep a stock intake, header and exaust in my garage to swap out the turbo every two years. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Most of us get it smogged illegally or remove the turbo kit and reinstall after smog. The only way to be smog legal is with a greddy kit, but then no i/c, no bov, etc etc. Hell even swapping to a hondata is smog illegal (even though it would be very hard to find that out).

California sucks like that. Im thinking of getting my car registered in arizona...

liam
Old 06-16-2003, 11:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

liam821:

...actually, depending on the year of your car, it would be very easy to find detect a Hondata because OBD-2 requires a direct cable connection from ECU to the test computer to see if the ECU responds to things like non sealing gas caps. Hondata's OBD-1 ECU's won't send that code back if it's on an OBD-2 car.
Old 06-16-2003, 12:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: (roadrunner)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by roadrunner &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">liam821:

...actually, depending on the year of your car, it would be very easy to find detect a Hondata because OBD-2 requires a direct cable connection from ECU to the test computer to see if the ECU responds to things like non sealing gas caps. Hondata's OBD-1 ECU's won't send that code back if it's on an OBD-2 car.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yea this is totally true. I was thinking obd1 in a obd1 car.

liam