Notices

Bye JRSC, Hi Turbo. A few questions.........

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2002, 06:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bye JRSC, Hi Turbo. A few questions.........

I'm looking to get the Apexi kit for my D16Z6. I'm not new to the world of forced induction but I don't know turbo workings inside out.

First, with the internal wastegate on the Apexi IHI turbo, how do you know to what PSI you are allowing it to open at when you adjust it. Do you need to take it for a drive and get on it hard to see what the boost guage says?

What do the solenoid(s) do in an electronic boost controller and in what way is two better than one? By the difference in pricing I would think the duals are much better in some way.

In the JRSC world detonation is the always reoccuring subject, but I don't hear to much about it in the turbo forums. I know the air temp of non-intercooled SC'ers will inherently lead to detonation faster than that of an IC'd turbo. Should I be looking to get a J&S UltraSafeguard from the start or is this something that I can hold off on until I go into higher boost.

I know most people on here are running some form of DOHC engine, but for those running the good ol' SOHC are there any bits of advice, tips, tricks you know of that would be benificial to me as I make the switch to turbo?

Thanks for any help.

Carl
Old 08-14-2002, 11:29 AM

Default Re: Bye JRSC, Hi Turbo. A few questions......... (ck279)

bump
Old 08-14-2002, 12:05 PM

Check out the Turbo D16 forum. And talk to VTC Civic, he knows alot.
Old 08-14-2002, 12:39 PM

Default Re: Bye JRSC, Hi Turbo. A few questions......... (TsunamiCRX)

how much u selling the charger for???
Old 08-14-2002, 12:57 PM

Default Re: Bye JRSC, Hi Turbo. A few questions......... (zcivic91)

ZCivic91, I'm looking to get $1,200 for the SC, JR MAP mod, AEM CAI cut to fit with the SC, Autometer JR mechanical boost and air/fuel guages.

Everything is still on the car a the moment as I am working with my finances. But if you are really interested let me know.
Old 08-14-2002, 01:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Im no expert, but since I have been planning for a turbo in the future myself, Ive done alot of reading up.

I believe the APEXi turbo wastegate is set for 6psi, but you should definitely get a boost guage regardless.

I dont know much about different boost controllers, but SCC had an article testing a few controllers head to head (this was last month or the month before). GReddy profec B came out ahead if I remember correctly, but the manual screw adjustable type fared pretty well also.

Detonation is still something you want to avoid, and with a turbo, proper fuel management is just as important as ever. After reading many stories, and seeing the different results, it is clear that the better you are tuned, the more reliably you can produce optimum power. J&S safeguard may be nice to have, but the thing I never understood about it was that it doesn't really prevent detonation until after it has occured. If you aren't raising the boost, you can probably hold off on any fuel management upgrades for a while (using the fuel management sold with the kit), but look into a Hondata for future reference. Ive heard alot of good about them, and they arent very expensive in relation to some of the other methods of fuel management (piggybacks, etc.).

Definitely read up on VTC_Civics posts, he is the one actually working with what I am writing about here, and actual experience is better than just reading something.