Notices

Is JRSC more reliable

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2003, 09:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is JRSC more reliable

It seems that the general belief is that a JRSCd engine is more reliable/ durable than a turboed engine.

Why is this? Wouldn't an intercooled turbo be less damaging?

The only thing I can think of is that the JRSC is more smooth than a turbo, and doesn't boost spike or anyhing. Anyone got another explanation?

Assume that both are tuned with Hondata.

I'm thinking about getting FI for my daily driver Integra GSR. It was supposed to be a civilized/ reliable car I can take a girl on a date with, while leaving the stripped crx at home. Well, it's starting to feel slow....
Old 04-11-2003, 09:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Is JRSC more reliable (Lsos)

you hear more horror stories about turbos because with a turbo you can turn the boost up as high as you want, and we all know what that means! Supercharger for the most part stays at a set level. I like turbo better because at high boost levels superchargers have really hot charge temps, but thats just my preference. I think as long as you tune it good either one can be very reliable.
Old 04-11-2003, 09:38 AM

when I had my jrsc I had major detonation problems ofcourse having an fmu, stock injectors didn't help , another thing was the belts mines kept slipping and blew 2 belts in less than 2 months and its a pain to install new ones

the low end torque was nice though no more downshifting to pass
Old 04-11-2003, 09:41 AM

I dont see how a JRSC can be any more reliable at the same boost level and tuning, when the turbo is using an IC.
Old 04-11-2003, 10:10 AM

Default Re: Is JRSC more reliable (LS-hatch)

it's because the ratio of turbo's vs sc is way lop sided. There are far more turbo's then sc'd honda's out there. both can be equally reliable, but more engines are blown with turbo's because some people try to run to much boost (easy as a boost controller). with a sc you have to swap pullies it's not as easy to just turn a ****. so when most people go from say a 5psi pully to a 9psi pully they usually tune it for that psi and it stays at that psi. Also turbo's are prone to boost spike (vacuum hose poping off) which can destroy an engine
Old 04-11-2003, 10:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

running a jrsc at 6psi levels will net you a good increase in power, and leave you with a vehicle that drives, acts, and feels like a stock honda. The jrsc becomes less reliable at higher boost pressures mainly because of the lack of an intercooler.

Anyone who has belt troubles, imho is an idiot. Take your time and make sure that everything is done properly. I'm sick of people blaming ignorance and user error on the jackson kit, when I've been running mine for almost a year and a half now, on the same belt that the kit came with.
Old 04-11-2003, 11:57 AM

Default Re: (hypa)

I have yet to have any belt problems on my JRSC setup, largely in part to my use of Goodyear Gatorback belts. Best belts on the market. They last longer, they don't slip, and they have a "lifetime" warranty, meaning if they break, you get a new one for free.
Old 04-11-2003, 12:05 PM

Default Re: (sharkcohen)

Hypa why would I be an idiot? I even had them installed by a pro shop
Old 04-11-2003, 12:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Is JRSC more reliable (metal-x)

I wouldnt necessarily call you an idiot, but I agree with what Hypa is saying.

If the kit is installed properly, belt problems dont really occur often at all. Do they wear out? Sure. Maybe in 10-15k. Do they need retensioning? Yes, every now and then. Is it difficult? Absolutely not.

After the first time, you can swap both belts in under an hour, no problem. The hardest part is trying not to snap JR's stupid 60mm long, super thin tensioning screws.
Old 04-11-2003, 12:23 PM
New User

I have never had any problems with my belts but I do notice that many people over tighten them. I was also super **** with my install. Took a job that should have taken 12 hours and turned it into 2 days.

Mike
Old 04-11-2003, 12:31 PM

Default Re: Is JRSC more reliable (92sleepR)

I remember driving to the track took us almost 2hrs to get there and on my first run the belt shredded to million pieces lol.... if that wasn't bad enough there was another jrsc integra there and he developed a coolant leak at the staging area..

I understand what you guys are getting at though Im sure it was a choppy install and the belt was either overtighted or too lose I just didnt' have any luck with it
Old 04-11-2003, 12:38 PM

Default Re: Is JRSC more reliable (b16ahybrid)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> There are far more turbo's then sc'd honda's out there. both can be equally reliable, but more engines are blown with turbo's because some people try to run to much boost </TD></TR></TABLE>

I love my jrsc, but I'm not a turbo basher. You read about more turbo problems here because there are a lot more turbo cars and the turbos are usually running a lot more boost. Also there are a lot of guys who put together their turbo systems from scratch whereas the jrsc comes as a complete kit. Custom turbo systems are the way to go for the experts, but apparently there are some beginners trying it who don't know what they are doing.

I have close to 30k on my jrsc, and it runs like a dream. All I have is the BTC, MAP controller, and 255 l/hr high pressure fuel pump. I changed the belt when I added a stepper pulley, but I had not noticed any slippage.

If you want to increase boost get a larger crank pulley or a stepper pulley. Belts are more likely to slip on the smaller blower pullies that JR sells because they have less surface area.
Old 05-24-2003, 09:24 AM

Default Re: Is JRSC more reliable (fredtoast)

my JRSC experience has been great.
Old 05-26-2003, 01:06 AM

Default Re: Is JRSC more reliable (B18Cwon)

reliability means maitenance to me. with a turbo, u will always be paranoid. oil leaks, oil changes, pipes blowing off, manifold cracking, etc etc. AND THIEVES

supercharger is just plug and play. only thing to look out for is belt slippage (which shouldnt happen anyways).

as far as engine wear, both are FI so more stress on the engine. just in different ways.

but yeah, turbo kit also has more parts to worry about. as mentioned before, manifold cracking, turbo with shaft play, etc.

for a SC, its just the unit itself mainly.

oh well, im gonna go JRSC later on for some low end torque and less maitenance. and a piece of mind since turbo cars get jacked around here (and everywhere else) while SC's dont have any signs of "steal me!!" on it.