Notices

break in period after install?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2002, 05:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default break in period after install?

hey guys im going to be pickin up my car in a couple of days from getting my turbo installed and i just wanted to know is there any type of break in period that i have to do? do i have to drive the car under a certain rpms for a certain amount of miles or can i just go crazy once i get it? jus wanna know cuz i dun wanna mess anything up...thanks in advance!
Old 08-19-2002, 07:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: break in period after install? (hkspoweredlude)

same here...
Old 08-19-2002, 07:13 PM

Default Re: break in period after install? (PeloTudo)

There really isn't a set break in period. But of course, you need to drive carefully and make sure everything is working correctly. Give your car plenty of time to warm up and cool down when driving. I'd take it easy for the first week and boost occasionaly while keeping my eyes and ears and nose out for anything wrong. Plus, learn more about your set-up so you know what could go wrong and what to do.
Old 08-19-2002, 07:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: break in period after install? (PeloTudo)

ask them if they did any type of road testing on it if they didnt here

Testing / Troubleshooting

1. Vehicle must have stock ignition timing and at least 92 octane gasoline.

2. Locate suitable site for testing.

3. Drive vehicle very slowly around the block a few times. Listen carefully for any unusual sounds and note drivability. Do not go past 1/4 throttle at this stage. If any thing unusual is noted, determine cause and correct before going further.

4. If nothing unusual is noted, bring the vehicle up to 3000 rpm in second gear and shift into third gear. Slowly apply throttle until redline is reached. Listen very carefully for pinging or detonation. IF PINGING IS HEARD, LET OFF THE THROTTLE IMMEDIATELY. PINGING OR DETONATION CAN CAUSE ENGINE DAMAGE. If no pinging is heard, repeat in fourth gear.

5. If pinging is noted, carefully inspect fuel pump and turbo fuel pressure regulator systems as well as ignition timing. Fuel pump should emit buzzing sound when operating.

6. If no cause is found it may be necessary to retard ignition timing by 5 degrees and/or utilize colder heat range spark plugs. NGK part # BCPR7ES-11 are recommended.

7. If engine misfires at high rpm, verify that plugs are gapped at .030.

8. If check engine light comes on immediately during or after boost, check the Map sensor bypass system.

9. If check engine light is on upon starting car check oxygen sensor connector or consult ECU self diagnostics and service manual.

10. If no boost is present, check all intake hose connections for leaks, then check for exhaust leaks on the manifold to head, manifold to turbo manifold to wastegate, and turbo to downpipe areas.

11. If boost pressure is too high, verify that the wastegate is receiving a signal to its bottom port from either the turbocharger or the intake manifold.

12. Normal boost pressure for this system is 8.5 - 10 psi, depending on temperature and altitude. NEVER EXCEED 10 PSI.
from importparts.com
Old 08-19-2002, 07:51 PM

Default Re: break in period after install? (KAMiN)

thanks for the info guys...i will definitly do this check when i get my car back...if all of the things check out and my car is running fine will i be able to take it to higher rpms soon or should i wait the week like what trac was saying? actually i think a combo of both would be better right?...anyone else have any info? thanks everyone
Old 08-19-2002, 08:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: break in period after install? (KAMiN)

Sounds good to me, but you forgot ...

13. Don't forget to smile and rev at V8's.
Old 08-19-2002, 10:03 PM

Default Re: break in period after install? (FredoSP)

good info...thanks.