Notices

Can I drive my car without TUNE

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2007, 05:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Can I drive my car without TUNE

Hey guys i was wondering can i install my turbo in my car without doing a tune!!! I mean im going to tune it but what i mean is can i install my turbo and drive my *** to a tune shop? By the way im installing a greddy t04 15g!! Any input is very appreciated
Old 05-02-2007, 05:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

no
Old 05-02-2007, 05:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Jared)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jared &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">no</TD></TR></TABLE>

is there any way of tuning it before i drive! I mean a have the emanage that came with it!!! Can anybody give me some suggestions!!! Please no smartass ANSWERS!! SINCE I REALLY NEED HELP
Old 05-02-2007, 05:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (mortificationrock)

Yes. Stay out of boost.

Or, if you don't think you can do that, disconnect charge pipe from turbo. But don't drive like an *** or you will overspin it. Which is likely to happen anyway. So, if you do, just be extremely cautious not to boost.
Old 05-02-2007, 05:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (awdgsx96)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by awdgsx96 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yes. Stay out of boost.

Or, if you don't think you can do that, disconnect charge pipe from turbo. But don't drive like an *** or you will overspin it. Which is likely to happen anyway. So, if you do, just be extremely cautious not to boost. </TD></TR></TABLE>Hey can i just have my ecu chipped somewhere for boost then install my turbo!?
Old 05-02-2007, 05:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

This is simple..call your tuner..have him burn you a basemap.
Then have him send it to you. Install and drive to the shop. And it would be best to stay out of boost.
Old 05-02-2007, 06:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Boostedb20EH2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Boostedb20EH2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">This is simple..call your tuner..have him burn you a basemap.
Then have him send it to you. Install and drive to the shop. And it would be best to stay out of boost.</TD></TR></TABLE>

**** how much does a tune cost anyways!? I have a chipped p28 ecu with eprom !that dont work huh
Old 05-02-2007, 06:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I honestly couldnt even tell you what eprom is...
Get crome or whatever your tuner prefers.
Old 05-02-2007, 06:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

easiest solution to your problem: stock injectors, stock ecu, stay out of boost. you'll be fine.
Old 05-02-2007, 06:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the easiest solution is a tow truck. that eliminates possible washed down cylinders, boost, blown motors, melted parts, etc...
Old 05-02-2007, 06:42 PM
Man U FTW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you have a basemap for your setup on your new ECU, then you can easily drive to your tuner....i drove for a month and a half on a basemap until i could get enough time off work to get tuned....just dont boost and you'll be fine....
Old 05-02-2007, 06:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Schister66)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Schister66 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if you have a basemap for your setup on your new ECU, then you can easily drive to your tuner....i drove for a month and a half on a basemap until i could get enough time off work to get tuned....just dont boost and you'll be fine....</TD></TR></TABLE> Take the advice from both of us. If your tuner is worth a damn, he will set you up with an install of a basemap to get you there.
Old 05-02-2007, 06:45 PM
Man U FTW

the only problem i could forsee is if you have larger injectors, but no way of controlling them...in that case you could just use your stock injectors and drive to your tuner and switch them out when you arrive...if you have the chipped ECU and basemap, then you're fine...
Old 05-02-2007, 07:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I drove my car for almost two months on a basemap before I tuned it. I just stayed out of boost.

Easy as that, stay out of boost and set your basemap to run closed loop, it will run like stock.
Old 05-02-2007, 07:09 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Schister66 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the only problem i could forsee is if you have larger injectors, but no way of controlling them...in that case you could just use your stock injectors and drive to your tuner and switch them out when you arrive...if you have the chipped ECU and basemap, then you're fine...</TD></TR></TABLE>

like a few people have said, stock injectors stock ecu stay out of boost, its not hard. if you can get a basemap for your injectors, that will work too. the key is STAY OUT OF BOOST.
Old 05-02-2007, 07:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ndogg)

tow it because you know if you get a base-map you probally wont tune it rite away and end up blowing it just save the money have it towed and tuned. or take of the charge pipe .

Old 05-02-2007, 07:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (building boost)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by building boost &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">easiest solution to your problem: stock injectors, stock ecu, stay out of boost. you'll be fine. </TD></TR></TABLE>

that's what I did and just swapped injectors, map sensor and ECU when I got tuned. Drove it for about 4 weeks like that.
Old 05-02-2007, 07:29 PM
Man U FTW

Default Re: (gunslinger)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by gunslinger &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">tow it because you know if you get a base-map you probally wont tune it rite away and end up blowing it just save the money have it towed and tuned. or take of the charge pipe .

</TD></TR></TABLE>

I wouldnt waste my time or money...drive nice and know that if you beat on your car, you'll blow it up...another way to add a little extra security if you have a heavy foot like me, is to get a larger gap on your plugs...that way if you boost, you'll blow out the spark and wont be able to go any faster...worked for me!
Old 05-02-2007, 07:35 PM

Well if you can give me specs on your setup Ill get you a basemap for $20. All your really paying for is the chip unless you need the ecu socketed all together.
Old 05-02-2007, 08:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Jared)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jared &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the easiest solution is a tow truck. that eliminates possible washed down cylinders, boost, blown motors, melted parts, etc...</TD></TR></TABLE>

x2

I bought my truck just to tow my car believe it or not. And it has come in real handy. The $500 spent on the dolly has paid for itself several times over.

If you don't have the money for a tow, know someone with triple A or have a truck and trailer.....you can get a basemap, disconnect a charge pipe or drive VERY cautiously and VERY slow/at VERY low rpms and even this wont account for the larger injectors you have. You would still be taking a risk. If you don't have a truck/access to one, the best of the other options is to install everything except the map sensor and injectors and stay the hell outta boost. Most people don't have the self control to do this, so a basemap is likely the most widely used option. GL.

PS - EPROM = Erasable Programmable ROM (Read Only Memory).
Old 05-02-2007, 08:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (KeyserSoze)

well ive been driving on a basemap for 2 weeks andd still havnt boosted, just gotta watch the boost gauge
Old 05-02-2007, 09:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Basemap, hit 6-7psi fairly reguarlly for a day or too, then street tune......But dont do that for sure, i just dont give a ****......hehe
Old 05-02-2007, 09:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Bseriescivic5)

i drove 3 hours to my tuner untune
dont boost u be fine
Old 05-02-2007, 09:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (tony n.)

Yea you can..... just never go into boost or take out ur wastegate spring to be safe...
Old 05-02-2007, 11:59 PM

HA..I drove for 3 years on a basemap running 10 pounds

(I got it dyno'ed when I did the install and the a/f's were spot on with the basemap)

Quick Reply: Can I drive my car without TUNE