Notices

Brand new motor- Overheating/smoking/burning coolant

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2006, 07:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brand new motor- Overheating/smoking/burning coolant

I just recently got my car back together after 2 months of getting everything built. D16Z6 w/ internals, balanced, waterpump, oil pump, ect.

On occasion the car will smoke really bad on startup, and other times it wont. I'm assuming it's water (not running coolant yet). I crank it over, it starts smoking.

Sometimes I'll also get smoke in the cab of the car through the vents.

If I'm going around 50-60mph & coasting downhill it'll also start to smoke & smell like something is burning.

The old motor was doing this, so I had this one built. I just installed a new radiator (2" core, 1600cfm fan) and it doesn't overheat unless I boost through a few gears.

Could the heater core cause the car to loose coolant, smoke a lot, and overheat when boosting?

I have all new hoses, new waterpump, brand new everything as far as the motor is concerned. Could it maybe be one of the sensors or thermostat? Heater core?

I just want to get this damn thing fixed so I don't have to worry about adding water every once in awhile. I can fill the overflow bottle up and it'll last me a few days, but it's a brand new motor. My old motor w/ 240k on it didn't do it until the end.

If I went to a mechanic could they pressure test my system & tell me where it's leaking from, or just that it's leaking?

I also have my headstuds torqued to 65ft/lbs. Should they be tighter?
Old 09-06-2006, 07:25 AM

Default Re: Brand new motor- Overheating/smoking/burning coolant (Everyones Hero)

check to see if the return line iis kinked or maybe too small
Old 09-06-2006, 07:31 AM

Default Re: Brand new motor- Overheating/smoking/burning coolant (TurboCoop)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TurboCoop &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">check to see if the return line iis kinked or maybe too small</TD></TR></TABLE>

For the turbo oil return or the coolant line?