Notices

BOV on a supercharger?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2004, 10:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BOV on a supercharger?

Yesterday in my dorm, some guys(1 being a mustang fan) came up with the argument that you could put a blow off valve on a supercharged car and it would be just as functional as it is on a turbo car. I told him i didn't think so and that it would be just as functional as a bov on an n/a car. My question is does anybody have proof or just simple knowledge to prove me or him wrong? If you have a supercharger, would getting a bov have any benefits?TIA
Old 09-14-2004, 10:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: BOV on a supercharger? (PA MATT)

yes you can put one on a supercharger it called a cintrifical cant spell but some one will say it

roots style and twin screws no but cintrifical yes
Old 09-14-2004, 11:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: BOV on a supercharger? (tegon-gsr)

anybody else?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tegon-gsr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yes you can put one on a supercharger it called a cintrifical cant spell but some one will say it

roots style and twin screws no but cintrifical yes</TD></TR></TABLE>
in my search i found this https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=970793

so it can't be used on a jrsc?but can on a vortech?and it does do something quite functional?The argument that a bov couldnt be put on the intake charge pipe of either an n/a or a turbo car was also brought up....i know it can be on a turbo car, but if a bov was on an n/a car...would it ever sound off?i know it would be stupid to do, but for some reason the topic came up...lol
Old 09-14-2004, 12:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Putting a BOV on the charge pipe of a N/A would be pointless. The vaccuum in the pipe would/should hold the valve closed. Theres no rush of air going "backwards" like there would be when the butterfly closes on a turbocharged car that needs to be depressurized. After all its already at 1 ATM or so at sea level.

Putting a BOV on a supercharger though. Thats a tough one....
Old 09-14-2004, 12:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the bov wouldn't go off N/A
i know cuz i've had pipes fall off making me run without boost and its silent.
second i thought the vortech system came with a bov?
Old 09-14-2004, 12:42 PM

Default Re: (igo4bmx)

On a vortech the BOV will help save the blower, just like it saves the bearings on a turbo. When you let off the air still tries to push itself back out of the impeller. It's especially bad on a system running cogs where there is zero slip in the belt, it can severly damage the gear teeth inside of the blower, or even shred the teeth off of the belt.

On a JRSC you have a bypass valve built in that vents off excess air when you're at part throttle so you're not boosting everywhere.
Old 09-14-2004, 12:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

search on vortex.com. A lot of supercharged vr6's are running bov's I could find some posts for you but I am tired from working all day.
Old 09-14-2004, 03:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Centrifugal superchargers = turbo driven by a stick.

So obviously, a cent. S/C will require a blow off valve, but it is more so called a bypass valve which does the same job in venting excess pressure in the charge system.

Roots supercharger (eg. JRSC) do not use a BOV because it has a bypass valve of its own integrated inside the supercharger.
Old 09-14-2004, 04:03 PM

Centrifical Superchargers use them such as Vortech. Roots or the other kind dont becuase there is no section of piping that builds up any pressure. The has to be an area that builds up pressure behind the throttle body to run into the flipper thing which makes the BOV forced open and release the pressured air that has run into the throttle body flipper thing
Old 09-14-2004, 04:58 PM

i was reading in the recent superstreet. this guys supercharged s2000 had a bov and a front mount intercooler. i was puzzled also.
Old 09-15-2004, 05:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: BOV on a supercharger? (donkiman)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by donkiman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> this guys supercharged s2000 had a bov and a front mount intercooler. i was puzzled also. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Centrifugal
Old 09-15-2004, 06:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: BOV on a supercharger? (Tactic$)

thanks guys
Old 09-15-2004, 06:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: BOV on a supercharger? (donkiman)

It's real simple. whenever there is air being jammed (boost) into the throttle body, you will benefit from a bov. the jrsc is like a replacement intake manifold so it doesn't go through the throttlebody. no throttle plate to slam shut on boost, no backpressure in the intake pipe, no need for a bov to let this air out.

Imagine blowing air (turbo/centrifugal sc) through a straw (intake piping) and then someone puts their finger (throttle plate) on teh other end. then add a little presure release device (bov) in the middle of the straw.

all other systems that produce boost before the throttle body will benefit as you don't want pressurized air to go back in to your centrifugal sc/turbo. just imagine what would happen if the darn thing is supposed to only spin one way and the back pressure (from the throttle plate shutting on pressurized air) is making it spin another way. something is bound to break there.