Notices

BOV doesn't flutter

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2005, 09:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BOV doesn't flutter

What would cause the BOV not to flutter?

More story: On my Prelude... the 1g DSM BOV would flutter at like 0/1psi. Car got wrecked. Took BOV off... fast forward 6 months, and used it for my b16a turbo setup. The BOV doesn't flutter at all and I can barely here it when I let off the throttle under boost.

Would a weak vacuum source be the cause of this problem? There is only one vacuum source right off the IM/TB and the BOV/gauge/WG all share it. Could this be it?
Old 06-02-2005, 10:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: BOV doesn't flutter (Mario.)

Could be. The DSM BOV should actually be open at idle with a proper vacuum source.
Old 06-02-2005, 10:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: BOV doesn't flutter (beepy)

Ok so I found another vacuum source off the intake manifold... it went to something useless. So I connected the BOV directly to the intake manifold (not wastegate lol) no tee or anything and it's doing nothing. I don't hear compressor surge so I assume that it is somewhat working.. but.. I dunno. Any ideas?

Modified by Mario. at 3:13 PM 6/2/2005
Old 06-02-2005, 11:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Directly to the wastegate? No tee? You do know that only the intake manifold generates vacuum, right? All vaccum sources must tee off of it.
Old 06-02-2005, 12:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: BOV doesn't flutter (beepy)

It's been a long day sorry. I connected it directly to a nipple off the intake manifold.
Old 06-02-2005, 12:58 PM

You don't want a BOV to flutter. Some BOV's crack open a little and some don't from what I have extensively researched, either way it's OK. If yours stays closed at idle it's doing everything properly because it should open after boosting assuming you hear it. If you want it to flutter or stay open you can tweak the spring inside so it's not as powerful to hold down the valve at idle. It should be fairly easy to move at idle since the vaccum against the spring cancel each other out, most aftermarket BOV that I saw in my research like to stay slightly closed due to that being a non filtered source for air to come in when it's open. Like I said though either way is ok
Old 06-02-2005, 01:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

****, my DSM BOV flutters like crazy and i get tons of compressor surge. Ill trade you...lol
Old 06-02-2005, 01:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: BOV doesn't flutter (adseguy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by adseguy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You don't want a BOV to flutter. Some BOV's crack open a little and some don't from what I have extensively researched, either way it's OK. If yours stays closed at idle it's doing everything properly because it should open after boosting assuming you hear it. If you want it to flutter or stay open you can tweak the spring inside so it's not as powerful to hold down the valve at idle. It should be fairly easy to move at idle since the vaccum against the spring cancel each other out, most aftermarket BOV that I saw in my research like to stay slightly closed due to that being a non filtered source for air to come in when it's open. Like I said though either way is ok</TD></TR></TABLE>

Can you adjust a DSM BOV??? The only reason I'm wondering is cuz it fluttered on my Prelude but not on this setup...
Old 06-02-2005, 01:22 PM

is it in the same spot and same charge piping size as it was on your prelude?

do you have thes same vac source as you did on your prelude?

my roommates 1g dsm flutters sometimes when letting off the throttle under pressure, and then sometimes it wont. don't know a whole lot about them though, try homemadeturbo.com also, i know they use alot of them.
Old 06-02-2005, 01:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: BOV doesn't flutter (Thurman Merman)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Thurman Merman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">is it in the same spot and same charge piping size as it was on your prelude?

do you have thes same vac source as you did on your prelude?

my roommates 1g dsm flutters sometimes when letting off the throttle under pressure, and then sometimes it wont. don't know a whole lot about them though, try homemadeturbo.com also, i know they use alot of them. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Can't be a difference of more than 2" in the location. Just a couple inches away from TB.

Thanks I'll try it out.
Old 06-02-2005, 03:21 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mario. &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Can you adjust a DSM BOV??? The only reason I'm wondering is cuz it fluttered on my Prelude but not on this setup... </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, it's called crushing it. YOu crush the spring or somethi, I'm not too sure, but a lot of people have done it.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mario. &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Can't be a difference of more than 2" in the location. Just a couple inches away from TB.

Thanks I'll try it out. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Optimally you want it as far away from the TB as possible. It might be too close , but I doubt it. The BOV works right?
Old 06-02-2005, 03:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: BOV doesn't flutter (adseguy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by adseguy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You don't want a BOV to flutter. Some BOV's crack open a little and some don't from what I have extensively researched, either way it's OK. If yours stays closed at idle it's doing everything properly because it should open after boosting assuming you hear it. If you want it to flutter or stay open you can tweak the spring inside so it's not as powerful to hold down the valve at idle. It should be fairly easy to move at idle since the vaccum against the spring cancel each other out, most aftermarket BOV that I saw in my research like to stay slightly closed due to that being a non filtered source for air to come in when it's open. Like I said though either way is ok</TD></TR></TABLE>

So let me get this straight. the bov should not be wide open at idel? because my'ns is. I got a blitz ss one but havent boosted it yet but everything is connected except one coupling from the turbo to the charge pipe, everything eles is on and working. so what do i need to set it at? i know the nut on top makes the spring harder or softer so i set it to open a little?
Old 06-02-2005, 03:25 PM

Default Re: BOV doesn't flutter (92h22alude)

no it doesn't matter actually. As long as the BOV is closed as soon as some throttle is given. Try it under the hood and it should close very fast. It should be fairly easy to move at idle (the valve)