Notices

Boosting a S2000 without intercooler

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2009, 08:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boosting a S2000 without intercooler

Hi, my question is if you can boost a s2000 on 5 psi of boost without any intercooler?
Old 02-14-2009, 08:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Boosting a S2000 without intercooler

That would be stupid as hell
Old 02-14-2009, 08:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It could be done, but I wouldn't recommend it. S2k's have a really high compression to begin with. Predetination is going to be an enemy already, and a hot air charge is only going to make things worse. I recommend running one, and if you aren't keen to running a front mount look into a water to air setup. They are very usable and easy to setup. The silicone intakes systems link in my signature has kits as well, easy on the wallet.
Old 02-14-2009, 09:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I think it just waste of money boosting for 5 pounds, those engines can handle alot more...
Old 02-14-2009, 03:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah, if your gonna spend the money and go through the hassle of putting together the kit, you might aswell put the extra effort in and get the intercooler too. Makes no sense to do all that work and not be able to use it to it's full potential because you don't want to use an intercooler. Why don't you want to use one anyway?
Old 02-14-2009, 05:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

What the hell is "predetination"? There's either detonation, or there's not. Either way, I'd intercool it, if you want to half *** a car, do it with a crappy car.
Old 02-14-2009, 05:49 PM
New User

Originally Posted by locash
What the hell is "predetination"? There's either detonation, or there's not. Either way, I'd intercool it, if you want to half *** a car, do it with a crappy car.
I believe he's talking about knock.

And yeah, 5psi isn't that much boost, but it's still an AWFUL idea not to install an intercooler.
Old 02-15-2009, 04:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

lol, maybe meant to say preignition or premature ejaculation? any how i can only imagine it would be ok if you were on your way to buy an intercooler and you didn't boost. S2000 engines not cheap and the compression is high, why risk it?
Old 02-15-2009, 04:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

id say it would be alright with alky injection but thats technically just a chemical intercooler
Old 02-15-2009, 05:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Detonation (also called "spark knock") is an erratic form of combustion that can cause head gasket failure as well as other engine damage. Detonation occurs when excessive heat and pressure in the combustion chamber cause the air/fuel mixture to autoignite. This produces multiple flame fronts within the combustion chamber instead of a single flame kernel. When these multiple flames collide, they do so with explosive force that produces a sudden rise in cylinder pressure accompanied by a sharp metallic pinging or knocking noise. The hammer-like shock waves created by detonation subject the head gasket, piston, rings, spark plug and rod bearings to severe overloading.

Mild or occasional detonation can occur in almost any engine and usually causes no harm. But prolonged or heavy detonation can be very damaging. So if you hear knocking or pinging when accelerating or lugging your engine, you probably have a detonation problem.
Old 02-15-2009, 05:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by sohczcturbo
It could be done, but I wouldn't recommend it. S2k's have a really high compression to begin with. Predetination is going to be an enemy already, and a hot air charge is only going to make things worse.
...Preignition?
Old 02-15-2009, 05:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

dude your going spend all that money and run 5 psi without an intercooler? just go n/a or supercharge it
Old 02-15-2009, 05:39 PM
Mr. Badwrench

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Detonation (also called "spark knock") is an erratic form of combustion that can cause head gasket failure as well as other engine damage. Detonation occurs when excessive heat and pressure in the combustion chamber cause the air/fuel mixture to autoignite. This produces multiple flame fronts within the combustion chamber instead of a single flame kernel. When these multiple flames collide, they do so with explosive force that produces a sudden rise in cylinder pressure accompanied by a sharp metallic pinging or knocking noise. The hammer-like shock waves created by detonation subject the head gasket, piston, rings, spark plug and rod bearings to severe overloading.

Mild or occasional detonation can occur in almost any engine and usually causes no harm. But prolonged or heavy detonation can be very damaging. So if you hear knocking or pinging when accelerating or lugging your engine, you probably have a detonation problem.
your definition is correct but your "predetonation" term isnt, it is either pre-ignition, or detonation.

pre-ignition is when there is something to cause the mixture to ignite before the spark. anything. lean mix, carbon, hot spots.

detonation is when 2 flamefronts collide making a hammering noise.

im trying to remember lexus class where they explaind it in great detail.
Old 02-15-2009, 07:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by boostedcivicsir
your definition is correct but your "predetonation" term isnt, it is either pre-ignition, or detonation.

pre-ignition is when there is something to cause the mixture to ignite before the spark. anything. lean mix, carbon, hot spots.

To be honest it's two definitions for the same end result and not really worth differentiating between.
Old 02-16-2009, 07:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

My bad. As far as I learned predetonation was when the air/fuel mixture explodes spontaneously with no spark due to the pressure and heat then slamming into a compact cylinder. I thought preigntion was the a/f mixure exploding from the timing being off. I apparently learned wrong. Sorry.
Old 02-16-2009, 07:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

He was trying to correct your misuse of a word. He knows...

Originally Posted by boostedcivicsir

Pre-ignition is when the flame explodes well before top-dead-center and internals become to hot and start to melt.

Detonation is when the fronts collide AT top-dead-center and break something.

So... Pre-ignition melts and detonation breaks.
Old 02-16-2009, 09:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SovXietday
To be honest it's two definitions for the same end result and not really worth differentiating between.
Not exactly. Detonation breaks ringlands and cracks sleeves (given lots of boost), whereas pre-ignition usually happens once on a motor, since it almost guarantees a shattered sleeve or piston hole.

A centrifugal supercharger that's sized to reach over 80% efficiency won't be a big problem at 5psi, but I've not seen ANY S2k kit, turbo or SC, in which a decent intercooler was more than 10% of the overall cost. Even with a used kit and a new brand-name intercooler, its still cost-efficient to add one. You can get away not using one in a cheap Civic kit intended for ***** & giggles, but not on a higher CR, obd2 motor like an F20C.