Notices

Homemade Intercooler Sprayer

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 09:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Homemade Intercooler Sprayer

I was hoping to get some positive or negative feedback on an article I just wrote for a local car guys site. I did a DIY intercooler sprayer on my car some time back and he saw it at a local car meet. Then later he asked me if I would write a article about it and I agreed.

I feel nervous that there might be something I left out or should change. I think I included all the information, but feel free to flame me if I didn't and I will add it to the article.

If your wondering if I did this on my Turbo S2000, the answer is no. I did this on my 88 chrysler conquest. The S2000 had a water/meth injection set-up on it, so I thought adding a intercooler sprayer would not be worth it.

Here is the article. Give it a quick look over:

http://www.enginebasics.com/Advanced...0Sprayers.html

JR
Old 06-30-2010, 10:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Homemade Intercooler Sprayer

It spray liquid. If it works, then it work.
Old 06-30-2010, 05:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by kaiba
It spray liquid. If it works, then it work.
I don't get what your trying to tell me.
Old 06-30-2010, 05:18 PM
Mr. Badwrench

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

link is dead.
Old 07-01-2010, 01:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by boostedcivicsir
link is dead.
I just checked the site and it appears to be fine. Look again for me boostedcivicsir and let me know if there is anything you would change.
Old 07-02-2010, 04:59 PM
Mr. Badwrench

im not going to be too harsh on you on this.

i have a problem with this because ill be the guy following you down the track after you sprayed, it doesnt evaporate, it puts me in the wall.

there is no doubt it will work.

but long story short, you are spraying something wet through it.

if it gets on the track, the officials probably wont see it. and that can lead to something very bad.
Old 07-02-2010, 06:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

im not going to be too harsh on you on this.

i have a problem with this because ill be the guy following you down the track after you sprayed, it doesnt evaporate, it puts me in the wall.

there is no doubt it will work.

but long story short, you are spraying something wet through it.

if it gets on the track, the officials probably wont see it. and that can lead to something very bad.

If you do this DIY correctly and use a water/alcohol mixture, you will not have this problem, useless you simply just hold down whatever actuator you are using and soak the thing.

EVo 8s have intercooler sprayers on them from the factory and you can run those at most any track without problems.

If I were doing this mod, I would just make sure they I dont use a pump or large spray nozzle that simply soaks everything. A nozzle that atomizes the substance rather than just spray a stream onto the intercooler is the best type.
Old 07-03-2010, 11:02 AM
Mr. Badwrench

Originally Posted by Slow_boost
If you do this DIY correctly and use a water/alcohol mixture, you will not have this problem, useless you simply just hold down whatever actuator you are using and soak the thing.

EVo 8s have intercooler sprayers on them from the factory and you can run those at most any track without problems.

If I were doing this mod, I would just make sure they I dont use a pump or large spray nozzle that simply soaks everything. A nozzle that atomizes the substance rather than just spray a stream onto the intercooler is the best type.
just because they do doesnt make it right.
remind me never to follow an evo 8 down the track.

i am sorry, you are spraying liquid externally down the track. anything can happen and this is a situation where track officials wont see it.

ill dig out the rule book later, but im pretty sure there is something dripping while going down the track.

im done with this. i have spoken my peace, a deal like this is a bandaid for an inadequate intercooler at best.
Old 07-03-2010, 06:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i am sorry, you are spraying liquid externally down the track. anything can happen and this is a situation where track officials wont see it.

ill dig out the rule book later, but im pretty sure there is something dripping while going down the track.

im done with this. i have spoken my peace, a deal like this is a bandaid for an inadequate intercooler at best.
Wow, you get mad quick...

Since, youre done. I dont need to back up my claim.
Old 07-03-2010, 08:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Flexer
I was hoping to get some positive or negative feedback on an article I just wrote for a local car guys site. I did a DIY intercooler sprayer on my car some time back and he saw it at a local car meet. Then later he asked me if I would write a article about it and I agreed.

I feel nervous that there might be something I left out or should change. I think I included all the information, but feel free to flame me if I didn't and I will add it to the article.

If your wondering if I did this on my Turbo S2000, the answer is no. I did this on my 88 chrysler conquest. The S2000 had a water/meth injection set-up on it, so I thought adding a intercooler sprayer would not be worth it.

Here is the article. Give it a quick look over:

http://www.enginebasics.com/Advanced...0Sprayers.html

JR

dude NICE!!!! wouldnt never have thought in a million years!? to use the winshield washers!! im gonna try that!!
Old 07-04-2010, 09:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I actually spray a 50/50 mix. I hold the button down for 2-3 seconds after the long 120+ mile straights. When I ran the quarter mile I had a buddy hit the button so I could see it. It soaks the intercooler, but evaporates pretty quickly. I can only imagine if I was moving with airflow, the atomization would be expounded. I understand your concern, but in all reality I do admit, if someone holds down the button for 10-15 seconds and are not moving this could be a problem.....but someone holding it down for less than 5 seconds with a moving hot intercooler, its going to atomize VERY quickly......ESPECIALLY with a 50 50 mix. So like anything else in this world....if a moron gets ahold of this and is holding down the bottom for extreme amounts of time its going to cause a problem. Just like if a moron decides to run 50+ pounds of boost on a stock motor its going to cause a problem for the track too when his motor lets go and oil is all over the track.

It is VERY effective as well. I can drop my AIT's by 30 to 35 degrees after a 2 second burst.

This is not as effective as running water/meth injection pre or post turbo, but is a GREAT cheap DIY set-up one can set-up off there windshield washer sprayer if they like.

Was the article ok?
Old 07-04-2010, 04:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Flexer
I actually spray a 50/50 mix. I hold the button down for 2-3 seconds after the long 120+ mile straights. When I ran the quarter mile I had a buddy hit the button so I could see it. It soaks the intercooler, but evaporates pretty quickly. I can only imagine if I was moving with airflow, the atomization would be expounded. I understand your concern, but in all reality I do admit, if someone holds down the button for 10-15 seconds and are not moving this could be a problem.....but someone holding it down for less than 5 seconds with a moving hot intercooler, its going to atomize VERY quickly......ESPECIALLY with a 50 50 mix. So like anything else in this world....if a moron gets ahold of this and is holding down the bottom for extreme amounts of time its going to cause a problem. Just like if a moron decides to run 50+ pounds of boost on a stock motor its going to cause a problem for the track too when his motor lets go and oil is all over the track.

It is VERY effective as well. I can drop my AIT's by 30 to 35 degrees after a 2 second burst.

This is not as effective as running water/meth injection pre or post turbo, but is a GREAT cheap DIY set-up one can set-up off there windshield washer sprayer if they like.

Was the article ok?

This is exactly what I was trying to convey in my earlier post. This is a cheap and effective mod that, when used correctly, is simply a great mod.

Ill probably try this for ***** and giggles.
Old 07-04-2010, 04:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Also, Flexer,

I was reading your experiments on engine cooling and noticed you tested an sr20.

I was wondering whether you noted if you used a water -cooled turbo or not. If so, do you think this fact would significantly change your outcomes?

Ive been thinking about doing some supporting cooling mods since this has been the hottest summer thus far in NC.

I use a water cooled GT series turbo and didnt know if a certain cooling setup would benefit a car w a water-cooled turbo vs a non water coolered piece.

Thanks
Old 07-04-2010, 09:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Slow_boost
Also, Flexer,

I was reading your experiments on engine cooling and noticed you tested an sr20.

I was wondering whether you noted if you used a water -cooled turbo or not. If so, do you think this fact would significantly change your outcomes?

Ive been thinking about doing some supporting cooling mods since this has been the hottest summer thus far in NC.

I use a water cooled GT series turbo and didnt know if a certain cooling setup would benefit a car w a water-cooled turbo vs a non water coolered piece.

Thanks
A Garrett GT turbo was used in that test. I CANNOT BELIEVE how much gains you get from shrouding. Bigger radiator, spal fans, blah blah blah all helped but.....biggest gains hands down...proper shrouding. Make sure all the air that is going in that front of that air dam is getting swallowed by the radiator. Cannot stress that enough.
Old 07-04-2010, 09:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Seen it done on an FC RX7 with windshield wiper setup, rigged the switch to turn on when the clutch pedal was let up, adds plenty of power, the colder the intake air the better. Finish the run, push in the clutch, stop spraying, no mess.

Swivel the sprayer around, spray your friends on the side of the street.
Old 07-04-2010, 09:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I like this idea. was going to use this but there are other ways to cooling similar to this where you don't have it on the car, and that's a portable sprayer like that you can get from home depot and use 50/50 mix before a race and after. that would be a cheap option. not sure what everyone would be using this for but for track, if fluids on the track is a concern, this is a way to avoid that.

also for the record, most stock EVO, STI, SRT4, and WRX guys don't need to wear a SFI approved jacket just because there turbocharged. all cars with aftermarket turbos need to have these, so with that said, because something is on a car stock doesn't make it legal to ghetto rig it on yours.