Notices

Boosted Teg or GSX

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2002, 01:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boosted Teg or GSX

I'm buying a new car(new to me). I'm thinking of either getting a boosted teg or a GSX, I'm wondering how much you guys spend on boosting your teg and if you've had any trouble with it after you installed the turbo.
Old 06-04-2002, 01:28 PM
TheHater

Default Re: Boosted Teg or GSX (Jrm_41)

Hey I love Hondas but the Eclipse is real tight I like that car but I heard they break down pretty fast . That is the only thing that made me not get A eclipse . I love the style of the Eclipse but if you boost A teg you will scunk a stock GSX. Decisions.Decisions!
Old 06-04-2002, 01:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Boosted Teg or GSX (BOOSTINSI)

GSX sucks, IMO. The tranny will be the first to have major problems because of the all wheel drive and boost. Go with the teg.
Old 06-04-2002, 01:57 PM
Trial User

Default Re: Boosted Teg or GSX (intekragsr)

I've had/have both - I enjoy driving my boosted GSR much more. Actually, I enjoyed driving the Integra better than the eclipse even before I installed the turbo.
Old 06-04-2002, 03:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I own both a 2g GSX and a turbo civic si hatch. Heres what i think of both.

2g GSX: AWESOME. Leather! Big and sorta fat..little over weight. AWD launch = With minor mods it runs 13s easy. It will beat just about anything to 60mph on the street. And it has been very reliable. I know people talk about tranny problems..but i have had zero problems. Although i dont do dumb things like 7000rpm clutch drops with act 2600s clutchs. Most people have tranny problems doing things like this. Another awesome thing about the GSX is its smooth...the ecu works great..its a very nice fast street car. Thing i hate about it most is the gas milage...i get around 18mpg And filling up a 16 gallon gas tank sucks. The interior of the 2g GSX is sorta cheesy..its not that great. The leather seats are very nice though..but everything feels sorta dodge neon like. For a car which was close to $28,000 new..they could have done a better job [with the interior].

Turbo Civic: My god this car is low. Handles likes its on rails. Awesome gas milage..i get around 400miles on a 10 gallon tank. The civic is more fun to drive then the GSX....gets more looks on the street. When it works its reeaaaallllllyyyy fast. The sohc vtec engine is super weak Its easy to break pistons. To make a reliable fast boosted honda u really need alot of parts..some of which are very expensive (like a hondata). The interior is very nice...everything is right there. There is sooo many parts available for the hondas...never ending options.

So thats my options on both. Which do i like better? I like driving my GSX daily..its more comfortable [then my civic]. Although my civic is pretty race/hard core street only. My civic is awesome for weekend fun.

If i had to start over and only buy one...well i guess it depends on what you want.

If you want a fast car in a straight line...i think i would get a GSX as its cheaper to mod to make it go fast. $2000 in a GSX and you have a very very fast car... $2000 in a honda and you have 1/3 of what you need to make a good turbo honda. Not to mention the 4g63 engine is just awesome...its sooooo strong and very reliable. The only downside to the eclipse is the drive train...but if your nice to it, it will be nice to you. The eclipse is awesome as it comes with a great base to start with....small weaks give large power gains.

If i wanted to go fast around corners i would go the honda route. Its much lighter and has a better suspension. It will out handle the GSX any day of the week. The honda will most likely be quicker on a road race/autoX also. There is also a billion suspension kits for the hondas...you have never ending options.

Hope it helps!

liam

[Modified by liam821, 4:37 PM 6/4/2002]
Old 06-04-2002, 05:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Boosted Teg or GSX (liam821)

Don't get a 2g, even though they looks beeter in alot of peoples' opinions, but a 1g AWD will be faster. If you just want a fast import that'll still handle well get the GSX. How much $$$ are you looking to spend?
Old 06-04-2002, 06:56 PM

Default Re: Boosted Teg or GSX (NOCARLOSER)

Get a teg, it looks sweet, handles insane, is comfortable and if you setup a turbo right will smoke about anything on the roads and run 12's at the track :D

I'm biased though... Hell even an auto with boost holds together somehow (miracle)
Old 06-04-2002, 07:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Boosted Teg or GSX (NOCARLOSER)

Don't get a 2g, even though they looks beeter in alot of peoples' opinions, but a 1g AWD will be faster. If you just want a fast import that'll still handle well get the GSX. How much $$$ are you looking to spend?
for the money a 1g will be quicker. They are also a little cheaper to mod. But with a 2g you are going to get the looks...and they arnt that much slower then a 1g.

liam
Old 06-04-2002, 09:19 PM

well my dad has a 12 sec talon tsi the car is fast as hell but driving my honda is much more comfortable and more fun 2 drive plus it looks better if you just want the speed get the GSX if you want a good all around car get the Integra
Old 06-04-2002, 10:41 PM
Smarter than you

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I thought u had a GSX?

id say for an all around nice car go with the integra, for a pure bread race car go with the GSX.
Old 06-05-2002, 06:18 AM

Default Re: Boosted Teg or GSX (DIRep972)

Nope, I have a N/A 1.8L 1G Eclipse. I used to have a GSX engine in my car, but my parent's made me get rid of it after I modded the hell out of it. Thanks for helping me out guy's. I really like the the GSX, and I think it will be a whole lot cheaper than a Turbo teg. Maybe a turbo Civic, might be the way to go, but I've had really good experiences with DSM's. As far as handeling...I think my car can out handle most other cars out on the road, and I haven't really had any suspension work done, but I can usually take curbs about 15-20 mph faster then most other cars. You guy's still didn't let me know ball park about how much you have spent on Boosting your tegs.
Old 06-05-2002, 01:11 PM

What generation GSX are you considering buying? That question factors a lot into the question when considering buying a DSM.
Old 06-05-2002, 01:35 PM

Default Re: Boosted Teg or GSX (LowGSR01)

I'm not sure, I might get a 2G, and then Get a 1G Engine Swap or I might just go straight for a 1G. There might be like 1-2k difference in the price.
Old 06-05-2002, 01:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i would choose the gsx, keep in mind a STOCK turbo car is going to have far less problems then an aftermarket turbocharged vehicle... and having 4wd will bust some serious *** at the stop lights. happy boosting either path you choose to go...