Notices

Boosted GSR radiator setup

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2016, 09:47 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boosted GSR radiator setup

What's good Honda-tech. Long time lurker here on the forums.

Now before I get flamed I'm well aware of the search button and have don't lots of searching with little to no results.

I have a 99 Civic Coupe with a swapped b18c1 vtec motor. My car was built and tuned down in Fort Lauderdale, Florida and has since then had 38,000 miles put on the motor. After it was built, no modifications were done to it and has been garaged every winter as it's now in Michigan.

Now my problem, I suck *** at remembering **** and my radiator has decided to take a crap. I know the radiator in it is stock, but I have money and I want to upgrade to a better more efficient radiator. I don't know what radiator to get, and where I should spend my money. I've heard to buy name brand, and I've heard stock radiators work just as well. If there's any other information I need to provide, let me know. Mishimoto is what I'm leaning toward I just need some clearification.

Thanks in advanced.
Old 03-02-2016, 10:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: Boosted GSR radiator setup

Does boosted mean turbocharged in title?
Old 03-02-2016, 10:22 AM
Trial User

Originally Posted by RonJ
Does boosted mean turbocharged in title?
Yes, I apologize. I should have been more specific x.x
Old 03-02-2016, 12:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 95 Likes on 85 Posts

if its boosted, what mind of manifold do you have. wheres the wastegate placement
Old 03-02-2016, 01:38 PM
Trial User

Originally Posted by ls joker
if its boosted, what mind of manifold do you have. wheres the wastegate placement
It's a ramhorn mani, wastegate is located behind the grill on the right side of your looking from front to back.

Half sized radiator, can't remember for the life of me. Even went through my old receipts and turned up nothing -.-

Picture shows the setup, minus the mani and wastegate. This should help for the most part.
Old 03-02-2016, 01:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

something dual core or triple core half size. unless you plan on tilting a fullsize radiator under thr core support. i think the third core is heatsoaked anways.

skunk2
koyo
fluidyne
maybe a mishimoto
c&r or c&x whatever it is

i myself have a go autowork radiator
Old 03-02-2016, 02:13 PM
I never narc'd on nobody!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mishimoto isn't worth it. Koyo or Fluidyne are the only shelf units worthwhile.
Old 03-02-2016, 02:46 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

This is dependent upon what power level that you're going for, your exhaust manifold and downpipe setup (the flange type alone helps determine how much radiator clearance you have)..

So, it really depends upon what you're working with. Photos of the engine bay layout is paramount to help..

Half vs. Full size is only part of the question you should ask.. It's really, WHICH company half or full size works.

I personally am not a fan of the Mishimoto radiators for Honda.. They tend to leak from my experience, especially the half core sizes. The caps tend to leak ..
Old 03-02-2016, 02:50 PM

This is dependent upon what power level that you're going for, your exhaust manifold and downpipe setup (the flange type alone helps determine how much radiator clearance you have)..

So, it really depends upon what you're working with. Photos of the engine bay layout is paramount to help..

EDIT - after seeing your photo, you're using a top-mount you have no choice but to use a half sized.. I suggest koyo or skunk 2.

I personally am not a fan of the Mishimoto radiators for Honda.. They tend to leak from my experience, especially the half core sizes. The caps tend to leak ..
Old 03-02-2016, 02:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have had good luck with cxracing...I know its a eBay radiator but I had no problems with it.

The koyo requires cutting the radiator support to fit.

I had to get rid of my cxracing triple core and switch to a dual core to clear my turbo. I decided to go with a skunk2 alpha which doesent look to much different from the eBay ones.

Just my .02
Old 03-02-2016, 03:01 PM
Trial User

Thanks for the speedy replies! This is all great information.

Currently how she sits, she's at 313whp at 9lbs on a Garrett .60 trim

I don't plan on changing anything as far as power goes, just replacing most of the parts with newer ones, radiator, tie rods, sway bars, breaks, ect...

I planned on only running a half sized, probably would have made sense to mention that lol.

I'm going to do some more digging on the information you guys provided and see what I come up with. I've heard nothing but good things about skunk2 so I'll check there first. Pictures will follow soon.

I'm on my way to my car now, I'll snap some newer pictures. That was last year before I put it away for the winter.
Old 03-02-2016, 03:03 PM

If you've heard "nothing but good things" about Skunk2...you might want to toss "Junk2" in the ol' Google machine some time and do some reading. **** Skunk2.
Old 03-02-2016, 03:08 PM
Trial User

Originally Posted by NotARaCist
If you've heard "nothing but good things" about Skunk2...you might want to toss "Junk2" in the ol' Google machine some time and do some reading. **** Skunk2.
Lmao. I apologize for my niavness, that's only word of mouth. I personally have nothing skunk2 on my car, but I'll take your advice.

Sounding like koyo maybe my only choice? Another forum mebtioned a del sol vtec radiator, my guess is this would be if I wanted to stick with a stock radiator. Pros? Cons? Or is this guy full of it?
Old 03-02-2016, 05:25 PM

Personally, I'd avoid the plastic end tank design of OEM radiators like the plague.
Old 03-02-2016, 06:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ron Davis has never let me down
Old 03-02-2016, 07:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by NotARaCist
skunk2 has alot of hate...so far I havent had any issues with my skunk2 stuff, but i seriously doubt they even make the radiator.....simply buy it from china and put a sticker on it

Originally Posted by Jeremy Pollok
Lmao. I apologize for my niavness, that's only word of mouth. I personally have nothing skunk2 on my car, but I'll take your advice.

Sounding like koyo maybe my only choice? Another forum mebtioned a del sol vtec radiator, my guess is this would be if I wanted to stick with a stock radiator. Pros? Cons? Or is this guy full of it?
"Slight modification to the front corner of your radiator support may be necessary on some applications due to the much bigger core size of the Koyo unit versus the OEM unit. View image #2 to see this. You may also be able to bend down the lower radiator mounting tabs to get the radiator to sit under the radiator support lip shown in image #2. "

I personally didn't want to do this modification. So i was left with cxracing vs skunk2 (i can say this with confidence as I had run 2 different cxracing radiators on 2 separate boosted setups and both were fine) I just went with the skunk2 even tho its most likely the same radiator. Go-auto Works also sells "his own" radiators (i believe lsjoker has been using one these for years with no problems) which dare I say are most likely the same Chinese radiators everyone else is using
Attached Images  
Old 03-02-2016, 08:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Go auto vs cxracing vs skunk2

Pretty sure there all the same radiator definitely very similar at the least
Attached Images    
Old 03-02-2016, 08:21 PM

Maybe in look, but from my experience, not in construction. If possible, skip them all and get the Koyo R1570 Half-sized radiator first. Use good OEM Honda Blue coolant (no green Prestone), a bit of water-wetter (I'm a Royal Purple ICE user, myself), and go to town. Just make sure you get the 1.3BAR radiator cap to work with it, and bleed the system damn well before proceeding to drive.

Great stuff you can't go wrong with.
Old 03-02-2016, 08:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I cant seem to dig up info on the skunk2 cap...i wonder if its 1.3 bar or not
Old 03-02-2016, 08:30 PM

Skunk2 uses a 1.1Bar cap that comes with the Radiator. It's still good enough for most Honda turbocharged applications. Worry not. I use the Koyo 1.3Bar. I like the higher pressure caps.

I think I still have another one we hardcoated cerakote black..ah dammit. can't find the photo for it right now.
Old 03-03-2016, 02:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 106 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by TheShodan
Maybe in look, but from my experience, not in construction. If possible, skip them all and get the Koyo R1570 Half-sized radiator first. Use good OEM Honda Blue coolant (no green Prestone), a bit of water-wetter (I'm a Royal Purple ICE user, myself), and go to town. Just make sure you get the 1.3BAR radiator cap to work with it, and bleed the system damn well before proceeding to drive.

Great stuff you can't go wrong with.
Thanks for this info

I am curious how often one should drain or change their coolant for new.
Old 03-03-2016, 02:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Stopsign32v
Thanks for this info

I am curious how often one should drain or change their coolant for new.
once i got near the six year mark on my old koyo, for whatever reason it would sludge up after a year. i drained and filled every year. i had alot of cooling problems with that radiator. far as fitment, it wasnt that much work to get it under the core support.
Old 03-03-2016, 02:53 AM
Trial User

As you can tell things are a little rough.

Whatever I did, I don't like it lmao. None the less, it has kept my setup cool for years with no leaking or overheating.

Just another view.

I don't mind having to fabricate new brackets if necessary, even with bending the radiator support bracket wouldn't be enough to convince me that it'll sit snug, I can't seem to find anyone else who runs a koyo radiator that hasnt had issues getting it in.
Old 03-03-2016, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by ls joker
once i got near the six year mark on my old koyo, for whatever reason it would sludge up after a year. i drained and filled every year. i had alot of cooling problems with that radiator. far as fitment, it wasnt that much work to get it under the core support.
That sounds more like fan than radiator. I've had 6 good time attack seasons with my koyo. Only drained once. But I used a good SPAL1800cfm fan to boot..

Once you bleed it, you're fine. Sry it and forget it