Notices

Boosted daily driven D series questons..........

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2003, 10:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Boosted daily driven D series questons..........

well im finally going to start pieceing together a kit for my zc, but of course i have some questions. As for the turbo i already have one picked out, its a t25/t28 hybrid*(im guessing it would be a hybrid). It has a t3/t4 ex flange, the AR is .49 comp side, and .89 exhaust side........ i plan on boosting 5psi daily driven with the occasional 7psi racing at the track....... first question, what do i do about a downpipe? prolly a stupid question but any help to that one would be awesome. I already have a fellow HT member ready to make me the exhaust manifold when i come up with the funds....... its just going to be a log style with external wastegate flange......... 2nd question, which waste gate would be best for this?? im thinking of going with a tial but im not sure which series i would need for just 7psi max....... i would prolly just end up using a turboxs manual boost controller.........

now for fuel management...... im going the dsm 440cc route with either the smc or the apexi unit, looks to me like they both do the same thing but the smc is hella cheaper and not as much bling factor.......... i have a fpr regulator as well but would the msd inline fuel pump be a better bet than relying on the stock fuel pump? or would i be fine with the stock?

im just trying to hit on the main parts of the kit and get them squared away, then i can concentrate on the lil stuff like the feed/return lines, and intercooler.......... i just want to get some definite answers before i purchase this stuff! thanx in advanced guys!!
Old 10-17-2003, 11:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Boosted daily driven D series questons.......... (sloorex)

for a downpipe, your either going to get one made or make it yourself. i would go with 2.5 or 3 inch downpipe.

a tial wastegate is fine, but you prolly wont need a manual boost controller, just get a 7psi spring for the wastegate, or if you want to adjust the boost more. then yes the turboxs is a nice cheap controller.

with 440 injectors, you would run the afc hack if you want. that is more then fine at 7psi. your prolly fine with a stock fuel pump, but for ~100 bucks why not get one. walbro is the way to go if you do decide to get one.

hope this helps.

platinum.
Old 10-17-2003, 11:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Boosted daily driven D series questons.......... (sloorex)

For a downpipe you'll have to have it made. Just find a flange online somewhere, then take it to a good muffler shop or a buddy you know who welds. If you want to make it really nice you can put flex pipe on it too, this lets the downpipe flex a little so that it won't crack. Sorry, no experience with external wastegates so I can't help ya on that

For engine management you might want to check out http://www.turboedit.org it's what I'll be using on my set up. Free...can't beat that. Check it out

edit: damn you! beat me to it
Old 10-17-2003, 01:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok sweet......... thanx for the responses......... so the turbo i plan on using will be fine?

as for the waste gate, what size should i go with, 38mm, 40mm, etc? or will it depend on the xhaust manifold flange for it? sorry for all the questions but this site has helped me thru alot!

Old 10-17-2003, 01:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (sloorex)

you can use either size wastegate. 38 is a little cheaper and will do fine for what you want.

platinum.
Old 10-17-2003, 02:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

awesome........ thanx dude
Old 10-17-2003, 02:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah everything you said sounds like a good start. As far as 5-7psi, you'll find out quick that you wont make any power like that. You'll be hitting 10psi before you know it.

I'm using a straight t3 from a volvo 740 on a drag manifold with a tial 38mm wastegate, external dump. Pull like a mother ****** @ 10lbs, going on 10,000 boosted miles. I don't turn the boost down. It's actually more like 9.xx lbs, cuz it varies b/t .65-.68 bar depending on the weather and my ghetto homade MBC's mood. It's been reliable, rather quick, and hella fun. The afc hack is a great fuel management choice for us on a budget-- though, uberdata is top notch. I'm really begining to look into it.
Old 10-17-2003, 03:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Johnyquest)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Johnyquest &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yeah everything you said sounds like a good start. As far as 5-7psi, you'll find out quick that you wont make any power like that. You'll be hitting 10psi before you know it.

I'm using a straight t3 from a volvo 740 on a drag manifold with a tial 38mm wastegate, external dump. Pull like a mother ****** @ 10lbs, going on 10,000 boosted miles. I don't turn the boost down. It's actually more like 9.xx lbs, cuz it varies b/t .65-.68 bar depending on the weather and my ghetto homade MBC's mood. It's been reliable, rather quick, and hella fun. The afc hack is a great fuel management choice for us on a budget-- though, uberdata is top notch. I'm really begining to look into it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

awesome bro......... well im hoping that it will pull enough for me since im in a light *** hf with a light motor....... as much as i would love to boost 10lbs i doubt i will if i dont have the internals built.........

so are u running 9-10lbs on a stock block?? you must have it tuned just right if so.... i just cant afford the downtime if i spin a rod bearing or worse.........

ive been kinda doin some rough figuring with a total on pieceing together a kit........ looks like it will be 2-300 more than a greddy kit but the stuff im going to get is top notch and a alot more expandable if i ever do build a motor for more boost........... thanx for the info dude
Old 10-23-2003, 05:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

me (d16z6) and my friend (d15b7) have both been running 10lbs+ for the past 6 months with the afc hack on our stock blocks. Lots of people do it. Just make sure it doesn't detonate and there really isn't any reason why your motor shouldn't be able to take it. DSM's use cast pistons just like ours, and the tensile load on the rod (when the piston is changing direction) puts more stress on the rods then anything else. There is alot more room to make more power on a stock motor... RPM's and DETONATION kill motors. Otherwise, you'd be surprised how much your block can hold.
Old 10-23-2003, 07:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Johnyquest)

The only thing I would worry about at 10psi on that turbo is the clutch. Id be willing to bet its going to give up pretty soon.
Old 10-23-2003, 08:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Ricey McRicerton)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Ricey McRicerton &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The only thing I would worry about at 10psi on that turbo is the clutch. Id be willing to bet its going to give up pretty soon.</TD></TR></TABLE>

you talkin about the transmission clutch? i guess that would be the only clutch besides the AC but ive already got an ACT setup........ been good for 30k plus since the swap and rebuild.

Old 10-23-2003, 08:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sloorex &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

you talkin about the transmission clutch? i guess that would be the only clutch besides the AC but ive already got an ACT setup........ been good for 30k plus since the swap and rebuild.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Fair enough. That ACT should be MUCH better than the stock clutch (yes I was talking about the transmission clutch). My stock clutch isnt worth a half a crap.
Old 10-23-2003, 09:46 PM

Is the ZC running a vacuum advance dizzy, you're going to want to ditch that. It's some wiring, but it's 190% worth it.

Also, go with a chipped ecu, buy a rom burner and use turboedit (google).

-PHiZ
Old 10-24-2003, 07:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (PHiZ)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by PHiZ &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Is the ZC running a vacuum advance dizzy, you're going to want to ditch that. It's some wiring, but it's 190% worth it.

Also, go with a chipped ecu, buy a rom burner and use turboedit (google).

-PHiZ</TD></TR></TABLE>

definitely not vacuum advanced........ yea i will be looking into the chipped/turboedit option when i start to square away fuel management.......... i may just end up going with the msd btm w/ dsm injectors.......... definitely will swap out the fuel pump, but im not sure wether to go with the msd inline or walbro..... 195lph or 255lph?