Boosted crank vent and catch can problems. Diagram inside

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2004, 09:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boosted crank vent and catch can problems. Diagram inside

here is a diagram of the way i just setup my crank vet catch can system.

As you can see i have the valve cover vent and PCV valve line connected with a T which then runs to one port on the catch can. then the other port of the catch can runs to the port in the intake before the turbo. the Problem is the first time i drove hard with this setup pressure pushed my dipstick out of the tube and oil got on my manifold and smoked up. what in this sytem could be doing that? How exactly does the valve cover vent flow because some times it seems to be vaccum and sometimes its pushing air out?

Old 08-30-2004, 10:07 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

for proper ventilation crankcase pressures should be vented from the block. all of that pressure is tryin to squeeze out one little hole in the valve cover. custom catch can kits are made for this. in the meantime ditch the pcv valve and run the tube straight to the catch can. also look into getting a new dipstick, the seal might be a little banged up
Old 08-30-2004, 10:14 AM

Default Re: (99B16Si)

U mean the pcv valve have to be taken out can u pls teach me how to take it out some simple steps and tools that i need.
Old 08-30-2004, 11:13 AM

Default Re: (Sky8888)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Sky8888 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">U mean the pcv valve have to be taken out can u pls teach me how to take it out some simple steps and tools that i need.</TD></TR></TABLE>

to pull the pcv valve ot of a d16z6 all you do is pull on it and it comes right out of the manifold.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 99B16Si &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">for proper ventilation crankcase pressures should be vented from the block. all of that pressure is tryin to squeeze out one little hole in the valve cover. custom catch can kits are made for this. in the meantime ditch the pcv valve and run the tube straight to the catch can. also look into getting a new dipstick, the seal might be a little banged up</TD></TR></TABLE>

when i run the vent system like stock i have no issues so i guess what your saying is that the combintaion of both the venting from the crank (through the pcv valve) and through valve cover vent is to much for one line to the catch can to handle?

I have an all metal str dipstick because i had problems with stock dipsticks melting and crumbling and giving me false oil readings. but like i said with the pvc system setup stock it has no problems. It must be something with that valve cover vent.

I know at idle it pushes air out and when i free rev it it seems to stop. does it go inot vaccum or push air out of the valve cover under boost?

Old 08-30-2004, 11:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (93TurboSi)

Here's the ghetto ms paint diagram

There are 3 connections to a sealed catch can (no breather).

*The middle one in the diagram connects to both ports on the valve cover.
*The right one is connected to the intake manifold with a PCV check valve (available at the auto parts store).
*The left connection is another PCV check valve that connects to the turbo inlet.

My previous design was similar but it only had the connection from the PCV to the can and from the can to the compressor inlet. the problem was at idle and cruise condition it hardly pulled any vacuum at all. Basically it was not pulling any junk out of the crank case. The new setup uses check valves. The arrow shows the direction of the check valve meaning that air will only flow in the direction of the arrow.

<FONT COLOR="red">Under cruising and idleing conditions the checkvalve on the left (compressor inlet) is closed. The check valve on the right (manifold) is open. The vacuum in the manifold helps create pull vapors out of the crank case like the factory intended).</FONT>

<FONT COLOR="blue">Under boost conditions the checkvalve on the right is now closed. Since the turbo is now spooled up the compressor inlet is sucking a lot of air and will continue to pull a vacuum on the crank case.</FONT>
Old 08-30-2004, 09:28 PM

Default Re: (93TurboSi)

mine is b18c